3" Over Swing Arm

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmax1125

Reaction score
Hey Guys I Need Some Feedback. I Am In The Process Of Changing My Swing Arm And I Was Going To Go With A Braced And Notched Unit. I Talked To John At Pcw And He Said He Did't Have Any Standard Length Ready But He Had 3" Over Arms That Comes In A Kit Ready. My Question Is The Longer Arm Going Help Or Hurt The Handling Which I Am Trying To Make Better With All The Basic Upgrades. Cost Is Not Bad Considering It Comes With Hd Shaft, Shock Mount, And Galfer Brake Line. Anybody That Has Some Input Please Share.
Chris

Hey Guys I Need Some Feedback. I Am In The Process Of Changing My Swing Arm And I Was Going To Go With A Braced And Notched Unit. I Talked To John At Pcw And He Said He Did't Have Any Standard Length Ready But He Had 3" Over Arms That Comes In A Kit Ready. My Question Is The Longer Arm Going Help Or Hurt The Handling Which I Am Trying To Make Better With All The Basic Upgrades. Cost Is Not Bad Considering It Comes With Hd Shaft, Shock Mount, And Galfer Brake Line. Anybody That Has Some Input Please Share.
Chris

Longer arms hurt handling but help holeshots...

Try COO or Dale Walker if you want a standard arm. Do you need the HD shaft? Is your engine kicking it?:punk:

Its Just Going To Be Piped And Jetted No Crazy Work Stock Shaft Would Be Fine. But Holeshots A Shit Load Of Fun!
Chris

I have the 3" over from PCW. To me it helped handling. It made the bike feel more stable and turn in feel was unchanged. Theoretically the longer the wheel base it slows your turn in, it didnt affect it at all.
I have a few friends who have done 3"-6" on sportbikes, the guys with the 3" never noticed anything the. The guys who did the 6 said they noticed it a little but nothihing drastic. You would feel it more so on a sportbike than the max.

It will hurt handling - no way around that. BUT, for many it's not bad enough to worry about and some don't even feel it. It really all depends on how aggressively you ride. I personally like the 3" over setup. The downside I have found is depending on the size tire and wheel you use it can become a fender eater!

It will help cut down on wheelies but also makes it slip the tire easier under drag racing conditions (with enough HP). Still can be made to hook very well with the right tire.

Sean Morley

It will hurt handling - no way around that. BUT, for many it's not bad enough to worry about and some don't even feel it. It really all depends on how aggressively you ride. I personally like the 3" over setup. The downside I have found is depending on the size tire and wheel you use it can become a fender eater!

It will help cut down on wheelies but also makes it slip the tire easier under drag racing conditions (with enough HP). Still can be made to hook very well with the right tire.

Sean Morley

IMO 3in over swingarm on a VMAX is just for looks. The Vmax doesnt have problems with wheelies, my biggest problem on the street is breaking the tire loose. I would agree with Sean that 3in over would create more of a wheelspin issue since the rear wheel is farther back meaning less weight over the tire.
I dont have any problems holeshotting my VMAX at the track with a good hooking tire. I am 60ft'in just as quick if not quicker than sportbikes with 3 in over swingarms.

Back