85 Max Charging problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

69Z28RSSS

Reaction score
Hey guys, Looking at a 85 VMAX . The gentleman says its starting to have charging issues. What might I be looking at for a fix ? Real pretty bike 19k miles. Please help .... Thanks Steve

The regulators suck on the early models. Check the threads here,lots of good upgrades. The crimp fix is a good upgrade. And the stator should be checked. All info. On how to do it all is right here on this forum.

+1 to Steve. I'd solder the white (3) stator-to-R/R wires as that connector seems to go back a lot causing the stator to overheat.

Mark

Hey guys, Looking at a 85 VMAX . The gentleman says its starting to have charging issues. What might I be looking at for a fix ? Real pretty bike 19k miles. Please help .... Thanks Steve
I would check the voltage regulator\rectifier behind the passenger footpeg portion of the frame left side i think.

Like mark said bypass that plug if you have the tools to do it and remember some of those wires are stainless so make sure you get a good solder joint.If you dont have a multi meter you can check the stator with a lamp or drop light. This is a/c power so don't let it ground and DON'T touch it !!!!! without the r/r hooked up ground one leg and con the other to a stator leg start the bike and the bulb should light up and get brighter when you rev it. Hope that helps ya out but be carfule with the stator wires

Oh and make sure the hot wire from the reg to the batt is getting a good connection

Grounds, grounds, grounds! (things to check)

Now onto the bike.

If this is the bike you're looking-at:
https://saginaw.craigslist.org/mcy/d/caro-85-yamaha-1200-vmax/6811248385.html
00U0U_4j5dBrUdUuj_600x450.jpg

there are a lot of newer, better-condition bikes out there, for less money. He's asking $4300. With an air shifter, I bet he's been drag-racing it, or someone has! I would expect to see a second-gear problem with that mileage, where it jumps out of gear while accelerating hard; and that aftermarket equipment (the air shifter) and the dented Kerker canister on the exhaust telling me it's probably seen a hard life. Pic #11 looks like the seat cover is torn, not a biggie, but another indicator of strenuous use.

Have you looked on-here for bikes for sale? There are some good deals, though they may-not be around the corner from you, like this one may be.

Honestly, that to-me is more-like a $3000 bike, if that. The used bike market is soft now, it has-been for awhile, and probably will-be into the indefinite future.

This one not far-away looks to be in better shape, and cheaper.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/mcy/d/madison-heights-1994-vmax/6853897398.html

00G0G_2Of2jA4uhM2_600x450.jpg

Detroit area 11 Mile and I-75/Chrysler Freeway

Two-thirds the mileage, the better ignition of the 1990-up bikes, the bigger brakes and forks of the 1993-up bikes, and it's cheaper.

Last edited:
Noooo. The top bike looks beat. I found one on facebook market place in Kokomo IN. Second owner has had it 22 years. 3600.00 It's about a 6 hour drive to go look at it. Thanks again EVERYONE You will all know soon as I bring one home.

The top bike has side covers on the wrong side. Was glaring at me lol.
The 96-07 regulator will bolt in the same location, is finned and works great. I sell them new and include the connector to run a dedicated ground wire.

Back