85 ...no start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srx2002

Reaction score
Hi guys/gals. My buddy owns an 85, he drove it down my house the other day, and after 5-6 hours the thing wouldn't fire up at all....tried some choke, full choke, no joke, some throttle, you name it, I tried it.
I pulled the plugs, they looked a little wet...dried them off and turned the engine over a few times with spark plugs out to be sure she wasn't flooded. I checked for Spark, it was nice and blue on all four.

Still no go...anyone have an ideas why she would suddenly have a no start problem without warning?
especially when he never experienced any problems before???

If I hold the start button for a minute or so..I can hear a faint " Pop " in the cans. Sometimes if we sit there and turn it over long enough..she'll make a " really LOUD backfire.

I'm guessing that backfire could be gas ignition inside the exhuast....which led me to believe she IS getting more than enough fuel, maybee too much?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys

Check your compression. Drain your float bowls and see if it's bad gas. Turn the key on after this and make sure the fuel pump is working.

Check the fuel filter and fuel tank vent line.

Mark

Hi All!!

I'm having this same issues as SRX2002.

I have rebuild my carbs, adjust float levels, etc...(bike was to rich) Bike started ok, sync carbs..etc...
Left the bike all night and next day it would not start....

take the plugs, they where wet....dried them, cranck the engine with out them installed to clean cylinders......test for spark...good spark...fuel is ok

I get some missfires from the carbs and some explosions on the mufflers.....bike would not start.....nothing....

I dont know what else to do....

any ideas?

Help please!!

Hi All!!

I'm having this same issues as SRX2002.

I have rebuild my carbs, adjust float levels, etc...(bike was to rich) Bike started ok, sync carbs..etc...
Left the bike all night and next day it would not start....

take the plugs, they where wet....dried them, cranck the engine with out them installed to clean cylinders......test for spark...good spark...fuel is ok

I get some missfires from the carbs and some explosions on the mufflers.....bike would not start.....nothing....

I dont know what else to do....

any ideas?

Help please!!
I saw couple of times that problem was in crimps at the pickup coil/s wire/s.
Ther were full of corrosion.

You will find those just under left footpeg.

Hi Przemek.....yes I'm going to look for that....but I think that the connector is behind the left cover, under the seat. Please correct me...

The thing is that it looks totally out of spark sync.... like a car with the distributor out of place...

any other ideas?

Hi Przemek.....yes I'm going to look for that....but I think that the connector is behind the left cover, under the seat. Please correct me...

The thing is that it looks totally out of spark sync.... like a car with the distributor out of place...

any other ideas?
Yes Sebastin, you will find connector there but i was refering CRIMPS.
The wires form pickup coil/s are not made from one cable.
There are two pieces of cable combined into one with CRIMP, you must remove
the isolation from those wires and check that those CRIMPS are not corroded or full of green. You will find those crimps close to the left footpeg, just under the middle drive gear cover.

I've had one v-max in my garage with exactly that problem.
First it was hard to start the engine but when finaly started there was no problem anymore.
It was ocassional but started to happen very often.
Messuring the pickup coil/s with multimeter shows normal resistance value.
Then i've found those crimps full of green and wet.
After removing those crimps and soldering the wires bike runs like new.

Good luck!

Back