87 octane vs. 93 octane

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to the American Petroleum Institute the gas-pump hose typically retains about one third of a gallon of fuel.

Still too much for me, but a whole lot better than a gallon!

1/3 of a gallon 87 mixed with 3+ gallons of 93 is about a 10:1 (or 1:10) ratio. I doubt if that's enough to make a difference. We already have to put up with that much (or more) alcohol in our fuel. Don't have to like it, I just suck it up.

Just to stir the pot a little, attached is the emissions sticker from a 1985, 1200cc Venture, bottom left corner it states.

Gasoline Grade Regular (Leaded)
Research Octane: 91 min.

For what it's worth, I have been running Sunoco 93 in my 1300, with 0.040" milled head decks, COP's, 150 mains & V-boost & Vmax heads, VMax carbs & air box. Marks 4-2-2 crossovers with Jardine mufflers.

Using Ignitech TCI which allows full control of timing curve. Timing is set at 50 deg max advance.

Last fill up I put 87 octane in it, and it is running like crap.

Going back to Sunoco 93 tonight.

Gary

Attachments

• 85 Venture emissions sticker.jpg
    85 Venture emissions sticker.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 16
Apples and oranges. There are a number of places online which can show you the conversion, but in a nutshell, RON is a european measure, and AKI (anti-knock index) is the US measure of octane rating. 91 RON = 87 AKI, which is what the VMax calls for.

If you want some 'it may be factual or it may-not-be' info, quote a Wikipedia article. If one of my students quotes a Wiki article, I red-line it and send it back, disallowing the citation. They are directed to search for another source or lose points on the submittal.

Now if you quoted something from the API or SAE, I would check-out the link.

http://www.api.org/policy-and-issues/policy-items/alternatives/aaa-vs-rfa-an-e15-analysis

http://www.sae.org/servlets/techSes...0&REQUEST_TYPE=SESSION_DETAILS&GROUP_CD=TSESS

http://articles.sae.org/13093/

http://www.sae.org/images/books/toc_pdfs/R297.pdf

More like apples & applesauce.

Wikipedia article explains differences & some of the chemistry if interested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

Gary

I had a sales guy at the hyundai dealer tell me yesterday, "you could just put premium in it. Premium makes more power." I just looked at him and walked away. The service guy also told me that if they didn't install the new brake light strobe relay (instead of me doing it), it could "fry the whole engine computer".

i run 98 in my max and my venture they run much beter on 98 than on the lower octain in oz we get ether 91.95 or 98 couldnt imagin runing below 90

they allso sell e10 hear which is 10 persent ethanol but why would aney bode wont to run that if they didnt have to

the hyer the octain the beter the bern the beter the bern the beter the performance the beter the performance the beter the milage just yours the hyest octain you can get and if its under 95 ad an octain booster like flashloob our morays onestley you will notice the boost in performance all round

the minimum alowabel octane rating for the vmx1200 is 91 acording to the specs

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1343.JPG
    IMG_1343.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 45
when the vmax was new in 1985 octan was between 97 and 105 at the pump hear in oz we calld it super the reguler was about 95

91 RON is different than 91 Octane sold in the US.

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/howthingswork/a/aa070401a_2.htm

Gasoline pumps typically post octane numbers as an average of two different values. Often you may see the octane rating quoted as (R+M)/2. One value is the research octane number (RON), which is determined with a test engine running at a low speed of 600 rpm. The other value is the motor octane number (MON), which is determined with a test engine running at a higher speed of 900 rpm. If, for example, a gasoline has an RON of 98 and a MON of 90, then the posted octane number would be the average of the two values or 94.
High octane gasoline does not outperform regular octane gasoline in preventing engine deposits from forming, in removing them, or in cleaning the engine. Consumers should select the lowest octane grade at which the car's engine runs without knocking. Occasional light knocking or pinging won't harm the engine, and doesn't indicate a need for higher octane. On the other hand, a heavy or persistent knock may result in engine damage.

Additional Gasoline and Octane Ratings Reading

the hyer the octain the beter the bern the beter the bern the beter the performance the beter the performance the beter the milage just yours the hyest octain you can get and if its under 95 ad an octain booster like flashloob our morays onestley you will notice the boost in performance all round

Can anyone understand this? I tried to figure out what the language is, but the closest I can find is "Drunk, epileptic cat collapsing onto your keyboard"

did you bully pepol at scool ?. I bet you did if you carnt work it out dont bother. But pleas refraen from insolting pepol simpley becors there dislecsik

can one of you other gys translate for him pleass

Hellyear,

I suggest that you use Google Chrome or Firefox. Both have built-in spell checkers. All you have to do is click on the words with red squiggles under them to correct the spelling, and then nobody will need to translate!

BTW, had you just come out and said "sorry, I'm dyslexic" then I would bet the matter would have been dropped. Nobody had any idea until you just posted that. I doubt that bikerdash meant anything by his comment other than to poke good fun at what we just assumed was bad spelling and laziness about correcting it!

And now, my turn to poke fun...

Dyslexics-of-the-World-Untie.jpg

Now, back to gas... :D

If i can get 1/3 of a gallon at each pump hose im gonna start draining them into my bike first and than fill. If you ever go long distance with damon and tyler you will know all you need to know about the vmax and what octane to use.:rofl_200::ummm::confused2:

Listening to them go back and forth on the way to thunder was funny as hell. From what i understand high octane has better cleaners to keep the vmax carb from getting dirty and you can net about a 10th of a mpg better with high octane:biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back