87 octane vs. 93 octane

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If i can get 1/3 of a gallon at each pump hose im gonna start draining them into my bike first and than fill. If you ever go long distance with damon and tyler you will know all you need to know about the vmax and what octane to use.:rofl_200::ummm::confused2:

Listening to them go back and forth on the way to thunder was funny as hell. From what i understand high octane has better cleaners to keep the vmax carb from getting dirty and you can net about a 10th of a mpg better with high octane:biglaugh:

But is 1/10 of a mpg worth the price difference?
Hmmm, let's see -- Assume I'm on a road trip and I normally average 40mpg. That means my 4-gal tank will take me 160 miles. At 40.1 mpg I can go 160.4 miles. That is 1/4 of 1% increase. Price difference from 87 to 93 octane is 10-15% increase. Not an equitable exchange in my book.

the hyer the octain the beter the bern the beter the bern the beter the performance the beter the performance the beter the milage just yours the hyest octain you can get and if its under 95 ad an octain booster like flashloob our morays onestley you will notice the boost in performance all round

Bollocks

But is 1/10 of a mpg worth the price difference?
Hmmm, let's see -- Assume I'm on a road trip and I normally average 40mpg. That means my 4-gal tank will take me 160 miles. At 40.1 mpg I can go 160.4 miles. That is 1/4 of 1% increase. Price difference from 87 to 93 octane is 10-15% increase. Not an equitable exchange in my book.

seems how the vmax is a performance bike, i really don't care about mpgs. that like buying a bugatti that gets around 12 mpgs, and goes 250 mph, and wanting to get 20 mpgs or more out of it. but on the other hand the performance gain i get from 93 is night and day compared to 87, so IMO it's worth every penny of 93 octane. the extra mpg is just a kicker. i maybe the only one on the planet that gets better peformance, and mpg by running 93. just thought i'd share it, seems i opened a can of worms..........or a pallet of worms :rofl_200::eusa_dance:

seems how the vmax is a performance bike, i really don't care about mpgs. that like buying a bugatti that gets around 12 mpgs, and goes 250 mph, and wanting to get 20 mpgs or more out of it. but on the other hand the performance gain i get from 93 is night and day compared to 87, so IMO it's worth every penny of 93 octane. the extra mpg is just a kicker. i maybe the only one on the planet that gets better peformance, and mpg by running 93. just thought i'd share it, seems i opened a can of worms..........or a pallet of worms :rofl_200::eusa_dance:

im with you if you wont good mpg then by a ct 110 they still do a good bernouts lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t86cwk0v5P8

If you want MPG from a Vmax, you'll have to replace the engine and diff with Venture parts. At that point, you'll just have a naked Venture.

at that point, it may be a better idea to just get yourself a Venture, but the older ones are kinda hard to find.

Unless you're a crazy nutcase like me who HAS to have things completely different from how they would make sense (cause different is cool, to me) choose the Vmax for the power, and find a Venture, or maybe a Concourse, for economy...

I bought the vmax because of the reputation it has. Saw an original 1985 at the dealer I'm pretty sure it had Vance and Hines duel cans and it sounded mean as hell. They wanted 5gs for it. At the time I couldn't afford it. But my patience paid off, I bought a 97 with 11,000 miles with a stuck float for 2500. Gas mileage is of no importance to me, just power, lol. Yeah a gen2 has more, but out of my price range at the moment.

If you want MPG from a Vmax, you'll have to replace the engine and diff with Venture parts. At that point, you'll just have a naked Venture.

at that point, it may be a better idea to just get yourself a Venture, but the older ones are kinda hard to find.

Unless you're a crazy nutcase like me who HAS to have things completely different from how they would make sense (cause different is cool, to me) choose the Vmax for the power, and find a Venture, or maybe a Concourse, for economy...[/QUOTE]

well i got an 83 venture love it and a 94 max the max uses less fule and is a lot of fun if you wont mpg out of the max just ride it under 6000 rpm and you got it lol :punk::eusa_dance::punk:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    122.4 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1281.JPG
    IMG_1281.JPG
    128.6 KB · Views: 48
Not sure what you mean by no mileage or giving up power? I regularly get 38-40mpg and make in the 120's at the rear wheel. The best mileage a customer with one of my overdives was able to get was 49 mpg (running at 100mph most of that tank) and he was making 127 rwhp.

Sean

Not sure what you mean by no mileage or giving up power? I regularly get 38-40mpg and make in the 120's at the rear wheel. The best mileage a customer with one of my overdives was able to get was 49 mpg (running at 100mph most of that tank) and he was making 127 rwhp.

Sean

yes hy performance and mileage should go hand in hand :clapping::clapping:

Funny that. No overdrive here, but my best mileage (33 mpg) was running 110 to 120mph while chasing a Jaguar home from New Orleans a few weeks back.

Prior to that trip I knew I could get an even 30 mpg if I ran her 90-95 mph - a more normal and very comfortable cruising speed.

I get 31-38 mpg on 87, I have no idea what my power numbers are like because there are no reliable dyno shops within 4 hours of my location, but I consistently get on the throttle way harder than any police officer would appreciate if they saw me ripping into it on the freeway.

My 97 is completely stock except for the Venture rear end and I average 44 mpg with normal mixed (city/highway) driving. I don't spend a lot of time at full throttle though, just occasionally. :biglaugh:

Back