9.72@148 with problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

customizedcreationz

Reaction score
Ran a couple 9.70's with the slick on. But my gearing is way off. I ll need atleast 3-4 up on the rear sprocket to get the ratio back to where it was. I bought a Hook Up Shinko but didnt have it on the rim yet. I had to replace the sprocket because I shredded it. Only had 9 of 42 teeth left lol. So I went to a steel sprocket. So I think I am going to a 45 sprocket for my slick and keep the 42 for the Hook Up.

1.62 60 ft best time
150 mph best mph
6.40 1/8 mile @ 120 mph

I spun the slick hard in second gear. Guy behind said it was bad ass when it gripped lol.

I was able to come out of the hole at 8000 rpm. I need a two step and want to come out pinned at 10, 000. If I cam hook up I should easily see 1.40 60 fts.

9.40's is my goal for this year if I get back out there. I have some issues to fix first though.

Though someone made a good offer on the bike yesterday.....so it might be sold. Not sure yet.

Todd

Definitely sounds like the gearing is off. 6.40 in the 1/8 not so good but the speed is high for that number.

Launching at 8 - 10 K.....holy smokes! The Gen 2 VMax launches best at about 2500 RPM.

Are you on the Busa forums...or psychobike.com? There are a lot of drag racers there that can recommend the right gearing. A friend of mine races a Carpenter built Gen 1 Busa and gets his a lot of good setup info on those sites.

Man what bike are you running. I hope it ain't the busa if it is you are in trouble with the Gen 2.

The busa has been having lots of problems and is a new bike for me.

Its an easy 8.70-.90 bike when things are sorted. I haven't seen a Gen 2 run that fast at the track except for Jon Cornells run. And for the money that had to be in that bike... I could buy three turbo busa's and probably still have money left over lol.

Most Gen 2 Vmax's with a average rider will run 10.80's. I ve witnessed quite a few that were good riders with some mods running low 10's and even a high 9.

25598-2010-Yamaha-V-Max-Timeslip.jpg

2010 Gen 2 with exhaust computer work clutch work and not sure what else. This is FAST! 182 hp on the dyno an 117 ft lbs of torque. I bet this thing is a beast.

Compare to my crappy time slip from today.

1237148_626793734021002_1147757854_n.jpg

You can pick my time slip apart and see how crappy of a run it was and still ran 9.72@148. I ran 150 mph on another run of 10.07 I believe. So imagine, onces things are setup, I am easily 10-12 mph faster right now with the wrong gearing and a list of other problems. I mean check out the crappy 60 ft ( which my best being 1.62 ) and 1/8 mile. A Gen 2 Vmax right now would kill me in a 1/8 mile run at the strip.

So I am not worried about a Gen 2 Vmax, even with a good rider, it would need quite a bit of work to get into the 9's. Once the Turbo bike is figured out and it runs 8's I don't think I ll be worrying about much of anything except maybe another Turbo or nitrous Busa or ZX14.

Todd

On the Suzuki GSXR bike I am launching at 9300 rpm wide open on the two step (10.5 rev limit). 1.23 for the 60' time. 148-150mph. 9.5-10psi rear tire and 38-40 psi on the front. Bike only makes 177 rwhp so I know you're bike with the higher power has potential.

Of course this bike is VERY light which makes a big difference too.

The busa has been having lots of problems and is a new bike for me.

Its an easy 8.70-.90 bike when things are sorted. I haven't seen a Gen 2 run that fast at the track except for Jon Cornells run. And for the money that had to be in that bike... I could buy three turbo busa's and probably still have money left over lol.

Most Gen 2 Vmax's with a average rider will run 10.80's. I ve witnessed quite a few that were good riders with some mods running low 10's and even a high 9.

You'll get there once you work out the gearing and launch. If you are 230 HP then that's a high 8 bike easily. My buddies Busa make 217 and he runs 9.2's all day long with 1.55 60 footers. He's run as fast as 9.0 and there's more than that in the bike.

Most gen 2's are actually a second better with somebody that's been to the track more than once. 9.8's are pretty common with just a pipe and tune. Lowering the Max helps a lot but kills cornering on the street, obviously.

I can only go by what I see locally and most of the Gen 2 bikes are 10 second bikes. A better rider can definitely go faster. I am sure someone with track experience can get there bike down faster. I just don't see it at my track. The rarity of the Gen 2 bike around my area is also a limiting factor.

To be honest, the rarity of any bike other than a Harley or some type of wanna be Harley cruiser is about all I see. I think the outrageous price of the Gen 2 is what kills it ( atleast for me ) for more people.

I am excited to get into the 8's, but I was made an offer last night for a my vmax and a small gun for a 2001 almost stock busa with custom 2008 paint on it with plated frame and other items. Has a pipe and a commander on it and other than that its stock. So I am seriously thinking of taking that offer and if so, the turbo bike might be sold to the other guy that made me an offer last week. Than my 99 Busa would also be sold and I ll be down to one daily rider bike and a few project bikes. Which is kind of my goal. I am tired of all the maintenance on all these bikes.

Todd

980562_627048893995486_1558878916_o.jpg

With Shinko Stealth tire spinning.

1270131_627049100662132_918755839_o.jpg

With 2.5 inch taller Shinko Reactor Slick, which helped traction, but hurt mph.

What amazes me is that the mph is almost the same between the runs and the slick is 2.5 inches taller and the gearing remained the same tooth wise. So if I either sprocket up or go to the hook up tire, I think I will see a gain of 2-4 mph and another drop in et of .3-.4. Which would get me closer to were I want to be. I might have to make a track run this weekend if the bike is selling!

Here is one of the other guys running his Busa, with similar mph, but his et's are SO much better.

264183d1369463099-praying-8s-image.jpg

Probably better 60' time so engine RPM's build more evenly. Not getting a slingshot effect.

Note the last pictures you posted show a far better 60' time and why it's almost a second quicker with the same MPH.

I am going to work on the 60 ft with the Shinko Hook up tire. Even the slick spun a little.

Everything is so new to me on this bike I know I can't expect better times without more seat time on it.

Todd

So Let me add my 2ct as the Busa rider that Itgoes posted about , 1st off if you can get a power 1 use that . The hookup took mph off the end of my runs also I leave at 4500 rmp and slip her out .Sounds like your dropping the clutch and picking some back up at the end of the track , What gearing are you running?

10.3 first time at the track with my BONE STOCK gen2 and it had been 14 years since the last time I drag raced. Ran across a busa this weekend in the twisties and he didn't want to play:confused2:. Made believers out of a couple HD riders too with a 30 mph 100 ft long rolling smoker . No pics but plenty of witnesses :clapping: I think I'll stick with my GEN II:punk:

10.3 first time at the track with my BONE STOCK gen2 and it had been 14 years since the last time I drag raced. Ran across a busa this weekend in the twisties and he didn't want to play:confused2:. Made believers out of a couple HD riders too with a 30 mph 100 ft long rolling smoker . No pics but plenty of witnesses :clapping: I think I'll stick with my GEN II:punk:

Ok thanks for the Gen 2 Rant Now lets get back to the topic at hand getting some lower numbers for the guy

He Knows what he has to do, he just has to DO IT ! Right Todd?

I need seat time. Plus I dropped it off today to have it diagnoused and see what sensor is bad. Get my air shifter fixed and then get that seat time. Again that's if I don't sell it soon here. I have a couple things going on and I could probably use the money rather then spend more money on something lol.

10.30's on a stock Vmax is awesome. I haven't seen a bone stock one run that fast yet at the track. I think the Gen 2 would be easier to run than the Turbo bike, as far as me getting on one and running a good time right off the bat.

I guess what I was referencing too is the same thing people say when they say how slow a litre bike is they raced on their Gen 1 Vmax. Just because a magazine says it will run 9.90's doens't mean that every single litre bike you see with any rider on it will run 9.90's.

Just as Ricky Gadson could take my Turbo bike and probably rip off a string of 8.70's on it and I hope on it and I am still running 9.70s... the same thing happens 90% of the time on the street.

A stock good running 600 sport bike with a strong skilled rider will kill just about anything on the street. The guy with the GSXR 1000 or Gen 2 Vmax, that doesn't know how to ride ( which is about 90% of them ) will get his ass handed to him by that 600.

I watched a stretched and slammed Busa run 11.50's all day last year. He was as fast as my Gen 1 Vmax.

I watched a Harley win the trophy class this weekend, he beat me. I bogged, missed 3rd and he outran me. He was consistent every run. I watched him. I was bummed!!! Stupid Harley.

The flat bottom line is, plenty of fast bikes out there. But there is no way an awesome rider on a stock ZX14 against another awesome rider on a stock Gen 2 Vmax, does the Gen 2 Vmax have any chance at doing anything better, whether a 1/4 mile, twisties, or god forbid passing a gas station! But that's what makes it fun, that a stock ZX14 can still lose against a stock Gen 2 Vmax if the Vmax rider rocks and the ZX14 rider sucks. Thats the name of the game. Or if your racing Vmax Mike, its the leave on the 2 count on a 3 count run! LOL.

I know Rick is giving me a hard time in good nature. Just like I gave him a hard time about him never passing me in at Thunder through the twisties on the big bad Gen 2 and I was on my stock Gen 1. I actually think Vmax Mike gave him a harder time than I did.

But I do know what I need to do. First things first is getting it running right because its 95% street bike 5% race bike. Right now it runs full throttle pretty good and anything less it doesn't run enough to ride it far from home. Get that square, get my air shifter fixed and a few other odds and ends and biggest of all if I keep it, get seat time.

It will run high 8's and still be a 95% street ridden bike. It will run 8's on a street tire as well, and it will run 8's and take me to Florida next spring break with my son riding beside me on his Ninja 500. That is my goal with this bike.

After it runs 8's, it might start to become addicting and I might have to try and run 7's..... thats how my addictions usually start.... then it might be 6's..... I've watched my buddy run 7.12 at 202 on his turbo Busa.... but it wasn't a street bike.

Todd

If Rick was on my Suzuki it would probably run 8.20's! I'm sure we're close to 80'lbs apart!

Todd I was behaving at thunder, brand new tires . Make NO MISTAKE I could have smoked any of you guys on your gen I's at any time. The ride we went on was a GROUP ride not a show them what a gen II has ride.

Back