94 with 3rd gear issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell

Reaction score
Last month, a friend of a friend bought a 94 with 46,000 miles. Recently it developed a issue with 3rd gear. I rode it tonight and all other gears shift and lock in great. But 3rd gear will "try" to jump out under slight excelleration although never does:ummm: Only when the RPMS are up it seems to lock 3rd. It almost feels like its trying to shift into 4th for no reason.

fwiw...We already tried adjusting the shift lever with no luck. Anybody run into this problem with sound advice. Hey Sean Morley, any idea how much $ for the worst case scenario? This kid is really bummed about his Vmax right now. Thanks in advance!

Hopefully not an internal tranny problem, but did you guys check the shift segment? Maybe the pin is loose and the steel retainer is bent. Good luck

Mike

Could be the segment but wouldn't think so. The trans would cost you $500 for the undercut exchanged plus $300 to add the overdrive option. He will also have additional costs for gaskets, seals, shift forks, etc...............

Sean

Could be the segment but wouldn't think so. The trans would cost you $500 for the undercut exchanged plus $300 to add the overdrive option. He will also have additional costs for gaskets, seals, shift forks, etc...............

Sean

Thanks guys! What is the segment and where exactly is it located:confused2:

Sean, are those prices for a delivered to your door engine only. Does it include splitting the case and putting it back together as a complete unit for us to re-install?

The shift segment is located at the end of the shift drum - you can see it after removing the clutch basket.

Mike

I wouldn't hold your breath that this is the problem. Usually it just won't shift past a certain gear when the segment goes bad. Still worth a look.

Sean

Mitchell ,you ever figure out what was causing your problem?Got a '92 doing the same exact thing.

I had the same problem. One of my bikes did this in 3rd and one in second. I replaced the gear and shift forks and shift drum. The dogs on the gears were bad. I replaced the forks and shift drum because it was cheap to do while I was in there. If a fork is bent it can stop you from getting full engagement of the dogs on the gear. The drum I wanted to upgrade to a newer segment style to prevent the pins from falling out so I replaced it all at the same time. It is better in my opinion to put a little extra in while you are there to prevent future problems.

Good luck.
Jim

Redbone is having a similar problem. The problem happens only in 3rd gear where I shift from 2nd to 3rd, apply power and it will jump into neutral. It has been happening only occasionally (once in a couple hundred miles) but this week it has happened 4-5 times. From what I'm reading it doesn't sound like the shift segment as it will shift into all gears.
It seems that I'm looking at possibly a bad shifting fork/ drum? What are other possibilities? It's a '92 with a little less than 18k on the odo, although I think the speedometer may have been changed by the PO so I'm really not sure how many miles are on it.

Sorry to say it Brian, but it sounds like Redbone will need surgery this winter. For now you'll need to baby that gear while riding.

Mike

Damn, I had a feeling.... So, it's ok to ride it just take it easy? What am I possibly looking at for repairs? What are the benefits of backcutting? and if I go there sounds like I want a venture 5th too as I would like a few less rpm's while on the highway.

$500 for undercut stock trans. $800 for undercut and overdrive option. Other costs will add up though since you should replace all the shift forks and 2 shift shafts. Gaskets, seals are not too bad. You won't need to open up the top end but it would be a great time to adjust the valves. Changing to solid mounts is easy with the engine out. Installing the HD oiling system.

You may need to change the shift drum which can get expensive. gear sement upgrade would be included with it though.

Then any labor you have to pay out if you don't do it yourself. It's not a bad job really. Worst part is cleaning up the old gasket material from the side covers.

Sean Morley

Sean, would the undercutting/ overdrive process require me to send you complete engine or just transmission? If I send engine to you I'm will probably also have crankcase covers PC'd and o-ring retainer kit installed otherwise I'm sure I can talk my buddy into helping me with this process.
Other planned mods will have to wait until I can get this issue taken care of.
Thanks for the info Mike, I'm sure that will come in mighty handy when I do this fix.

We can do a trans on an exchange basis so you can do it yourself or of course you can send it to us. OR

we can build a 1300 on trade and swap you out that way too!

Sean

I almost hate to ask this as I can see myself eating ramen noodles for the next 6 months....BUT, how much would a swap for a 1300 motor w/ transmission undercut & overdrive installed run me?
I would think those ramen noodles would've been worth it if I can scare my brother a little on his FZ1 next spring!:rofl_200:

Back