'96 engine into an '88?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjmeg

Reaction score
Greetings.
Am in the process of replacing a lunched engine in an '88, with a '96 engine. (2 snapped conrods- not my work, but I reckon it was a nasty burnout..)
Am I right in thinking that I could run the later ignition system if I can get a '90 on wiring harness, and a '90 on TCI or Dyna 3000?
I know otherwise I can change the rotor, but the TCI is in my good bike, as it has ( I reckon) packed it in.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, Glen

Greetings.
Am in the process of replacing a lunched engine in an '88, with a '96 engine. (2 snapped conrods- not my work, but I reckon it was a nasty burnout..)
Am I right in thinking that I could run the later ignition system if I can get a '90 on wiring harness, and a '90 on TCI or Dyna 3000?
I know otherwise I can change the rotor, but the TCI is in my good bike, as it has ( I reckon) packed it in.

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks, Glen

You need to swap the pickup coil, flywheel and swap or modify the harness.
Of course diffrent TCI too as mentioned.

I would just swap those from that fried engine into 96 one.

You will have a four brush starter instead of two which is better and no changes needed. Your stator will be be a four pick up design instead of two which I think requires a harness mod. You now have a spin on oil filter which will require a new style frame crossmember. Might as well do the "crimp" fix and or install the heavy duty wiring kit for reliable starts. May as well do the "o" ring mod too while you can easily get the pan off. That's what I remember, anyone else?
Patmax

As noted, you can either swap the entire harness and about every single electrical part over from a 90+ vmax

OR

the simpler thing is to get the cross brace (96+), and swap over your old flywheel and pick coils which are located in the stator cover.

I've got most of this kind of stuff on hand and would possibly even be interested in some of the old parts you have (and maybe even the engine if the price is right).

Sean

Thanks guys.
Already have the motor in, so know about the surgery needed on the crossmember.
Have the stator and pickups set up ready to go, still to get the ^&&*&%% rotors off, as both have never been moved.
May just need an '85-90 TCI - not sure, as the one of my other bike had serious corrosion on the terminals, because the space cadet mechanic who replaced that engine left the dust cover off the loom when he did the job.
May be ok, may be being optimistic also.

An option to replacing your TCI with a stock one is an aftermarket programmable unit several of us Venture guys are using.

I have a fair amount of information on it if you are interested.

Web site is http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm

It is the TCIP4 module with 4 channel servo driver that will work on the V4 engines. We have them being used on the 4 pickup coil (83-89) & single pickup coil (90-93) versions of Ventures.

You can download the software from their web site. In the software there is a setting for a Yamaha XVZ 1300, this is the RSV version of the software, it is not the version we are using for the V4 motors similar to the VMaxs. I could email you my settings if you want to see them, after you have downloaded the main software. My software is setup for 4 pickup coils.

It is 135 euro, current exchange rate is $181 US + shipping. They are based in the Czech Republic
. They will reply to email questions in fairly decent English.

They supply it with the wiring harness converter to plug right into your bike.

I have run one all summer flawlessly.

It has a programmable rev limiter. Timing curve is completely programmable.
It also has a programmable shift light & servo output, tach output, side stand kill inputs, neutral input.

On their web site they refer to using a throttle position sensor. The ones that I know that are using it have used a MAP sensor from non turbo GM car. They run on 5v which is what the TCI supplies. We have been concerned with using the stock vacuum sensor on the bike as it is a 12v output and the TCI expects a 5v signal. Ignitech says the 12v is OK though.

I have also added a small vacuum canister (about 2" long) to smooth out the pulsing from my carbs.

Programing is done via a laptop through a 9 pin serial connection on the TCI. Radio shack sells a USB to 9 pin serial adapter for about $20 if your laptop does not have a serial port.

My bike dyno tested at almost exact HP curve when I first installed it. I have since modified timing map and it seems better than stock TCI.

Attached are some screen shots of a few pages in the software and the user manual.

Gary

ignitechsystema.jpg

Attachments

• manual_sparker_tci_p4_en.pdf
    166.3 KB · Views: 3
  • screen 1.jpg
    screen 1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 8
  • screen 2.jpg
    screen 2.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 8
  • screen 3.jpg