A story of courage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I was at my father-in-law's yesterday doing an emergency plumbing repair on a triplex rental. He is an elderly Cuban, a naturalized citizen, and one of the hardest-working people I know, though now he is retired and infirm.

The tenant is a guy from Cuba (this is in Miami, FL) whom I have seen before, walking around the property, caring for his immaculate Dodge Charger. He works in a local restaurant.

When I went-into the apartment to see the extent of repair I had to do, I had a surprising shock-he's about 4 &1/2' tall!

Now the guy I was used-to seeing was about 5'6"-5'7" so this was a bit of a shock. He had bilateral below-the-knee amputations.

He tried to swim from Havana to Guantanamo Bay, to the USA naval base there trying to reach freedom. Castro has heavily-mined the area's waters, and this poor fellow had his legs blown-off when one of the mines exploded.

A US 'Gitmo' soldier braved the mined waters, swimming-out to him, and pulled him to shore, and saved his life. Now, the amputee is in Miami, and has the best attitude you could hope-for, just a really-positive guy.

So, that is my contact with a really-brave man, someone who paid a great price to come out of Communist country. Miami is filled with people who have sacrificed greatly. I have met many of them, and often their sacrifices are heart-breaking and enduring. :worthy:

This is a great story and makes you think about the sacrifices that were made by naturalized citizens to come to this country and experience freedom.

Great story about 2 brave men......it's amazing what people are capable of with some courage and determination.

Thanks for sharing.

It's nice to hear somthing positive rather than all the negativity concerning Cuban immigrants in Fla................Thanks for posting!.............Tom.

Latest posts

Back