Aftermarket wheel cleaning

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I spoke with mothers.com chemist and they stated that their products are safe to use on aluminum and magnesium wheels. With that said, I'm good to go!

I use a product truckers use it is called Speedys metal polish i only found it at Cumberland Truck Parts works great an polish and protects in one step.

UPDATE: I've been dragging my feet on this, but after talking with a few chemists from various companies, I have started sanding the wheels down to about 600 grit wet standing and building them back up to 1000+ grit. at 800 grit they look pretty good in dull magnesium color. I can see some slight oxidation, but I think it will be hidden once I buff them out to a high polish......

Hopefully I will have this done in the next couple of weeks....going to start on my final drive conversion too.

Update: Finally stage sanded this rear wheel from 600 grit up to 1000 wet sanding and then polished it out to almost the final stage, but there are still some oxidation showing......I believe I will have to go down to a lower grit to remove this oxidation. They will shine up good though as you can see.....

Attachments

• polished wheel.JPG
    polished wheel.JPG
    142.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Polished wheel oxidation.JPG
    Polished wheel oxidation.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 30
Not bad!!! What did you use for polish?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I wet sanded at 600/800/1000 grits, then used mothers powerball MD (yellow) with scratch polish. The last step is the Mothers powerball (red) with aluminum polish. I am going to do a write up in the Summer VBoost on this and perhaps my venture/vmax final drive guts swap out for these wheels.

I plan to pickup some 320 and 400 grit wet sand paper to try next.

Michael, if you want the best aluminum polish try Mothers Billit it comes I'm a small jar and costs about $16 but it is the BEST alum polish I've ever seen. You can't tell alum from chrome when done. Pep boys sells it. It's WAY better than the regular Mothers aluminum polish. Just remember its called BILLIT. Hope this helps, Ed

The Mother's products I am using is from the professional line. The Billet polish is of the same level of the power products I am already using. My wheel looks great, but it needs work sanding. The polishing isnt the problem, it just needs more prep work. My wheels shine like chrome now, but oxidation still is prevalent.

Michael, if you want the best aluminum polish try Mothers Billit it comes I'm a small jar and costs about $16 but it is the BEST alum polish I've ever seen. You can't tell alum from chrome when done. Pep boys sells it. It's WAY better than the regular Mothers aluminum polish. Just remember its called BILLIT. Hope this helps, Ed

Latest posts

Back