Air Compressor

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FootNote

Reaction score
So,

I need some advice on air compressors.

I was planning on buying used, but honestly I don't trust the meeting someone off of craigslist in a parking lot when I cant tell if it works or not. I went to a few pawn shops and couldn't find any the right size.

Now I am planning on just putting this in my garage and letting it sit there. I really don't see myself using/needing an air compressor outside of my garage, so mobility isn't a huge issue. It seems to me there is not a huge difference in a stand up compressor vs the smaller portable one.

i.e.

85fff93c-9f4d-4e2e-bd4b-c07c1058cb5b_300.jpg

vs

70687eae-d07c-402e-9fe0-032ca521654f_300.jpg

Don't think I'd buy a second hand compressor either....unless I knew the guy selling it.

Think you have to determine your needs....bike lift, air tools, spray paint set-up, etc. then match the size of the compressor to that....probly double what you think you need cause you will probly get more air driven stuff down the road.

I noticed a pretty nice Campbell Hausefield upright in Tractor Supply for around $450 (I think....)

Smaller tanks need to fill up all the time, which is loud as fuck. I've got a small portable one and it kicks on every time i fill my tires for only a couple of pounds. Thats annoying to me. I'd go with number 2.

Honestly all I *need* it for right now is spray painting. That being said, I am looking for a one time buy, not looking to upgrade down the road.

Honestly what I *want* is the dewalt pictured above. I can afford it and I have a good place for it. Part of me doesn't want to go over kill, but i also want to grow into it.

The route I took with this was to have one smaller compressor for most jobs needed, a 20 gallon, oil filled one works good for that. 8-9cfm at 90psi.

Than I have a larger one for bigger jobs where continuous air supply and high CFM's are needed. For that I have a 10hp gas 3 cylinder, 10 gallon wheelbarrow style one. This one puts out 18.9 CFM at 120psi and is great for the sandblasting cabinet.

Mike

I'm also using 2. I have a small one just for powwder coating, which requires only 10psi constant. I use a gas operated for bead blasting. It is portable to boot. It'll run any power tool I need it to. The tanks aren't very big either. 5.5 hp honda starts on one pull cold. Mobile 30w
sysnthetic used in the compressor and engine. For $50 I couldn't refuse.
Steve-o

Answer: Neither.

Don't buy an oil-free compressor.

Spend a little more, get one with a multi stage, oil bath pump. It'll be much quieter, last forever, and give a higher output.

Oil free compressors are noisy as hell and they all burn out within a year or two if you use them with any regularity. Have you ever heard of an oil-free engine? No? Then why would an oil free compressor be a good idea? They're basically the same thing.

Spend a little more, get one with a multi stage, oil bath pump. It'll be much quieter, last forever, and give a higher output.

Oil free compressors are noisy as hell and they all burn out within a year or two if you use them with any regularity. Have you ever heard of an oil-free engine? No? Then why would an oil free compressor be a good idea? They're basically the same thing.

Doing a quick search it seems everything in my price range is oil free.

I get what your saying, but this wont be a very high use item, and at least for the DeWalt compressor it has very high reviews.

So,

I need some advice on air compressors.

I was planning on buying used, but honestly I don't trust the meeting someone off of craigslist in a parking lot when I cant tell if it works or not. I went to a few pawn shops and couldn't find any the right size.

Now I am planning on just putting this in my garage and letting it sit there. I really don't see myself using/needing an air compressor outside of my garage, so mobility isn't a huge issue. It seems to me there is not a huge difference in a stand up compressor vs the smaller portable one.

i.e.

85fff93c-9f4d-4e2e-bd4b-c07c1058cb5b_300.jpg

vs

70687eae-d07c-402e-9fe0-032ca521654f_300.jpg

Don`t shoot me for stating the obvious, but it seems you can easily replace the feet of the larger one with lockable wheels?:ummm:

I have owned various compressors for over 30 years. I will never buy an oil-free again. Have to wear ear protection they are so loud! Also don't last. My first compressor was a "Sears Craftsman Best" purchased in 1980 for $450 in 1980 dollars. (Almost $1400 in todays dollars). That compressor is still in use after 32 years and is very quiet. Sold to a friend about 10 years ago and he had to replace the on/off switch recently. Parts still available from Sears. Purchased another Sears since that one was so good but it was oil-less. Quickly sold as it was so loud I couldn't use it without ear plugs and still was uncomfortable. Bought an upright from Harbor Freight that is loud even though an oil type but not as loud as the oil-less. Have had to replace several parts on the unit in a couple years of mild use. At least the parts can be ordered from HF. Also bought a small HF one for tires, etc. It is also loud. If there is any way to hear the compressor in service, I would strongly recommend it. All the low priced ones I have heard are poorly made and way too loud. If you are going to keep and use the compressor, don't buy a cheap one. The only decent one I have ever had was the first one. If I had to do over, would buy a brand name one after hearing it run.

I have the identical compressor as the dewalt your looking at, but made by sears. It is loud as hell, but I use it daily and it is dependable! Go as big as you can afford, too much air isn't a problem......but not enough sure is!!

Agree with the multi stage being the better of the two but can't agree with the oil free burning out within a year.

I have a Porter Cable pancake compressor powering the bike lift, and has for years, and a Coleman Power-Mate 15 gal. upright that runs all my air tools....and has since 1998! Bought it as a temp el-cheapo and planned to replace it with a kick-ass IR 220v when it craps out.....problem is, it won't crap out!

This is a nice multi-stage for the money IMO.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/campbell-hausfeld-reg-60-gallon-cast-iron-air-compressor-3310006

Had my Campbell Hausfield Oiless 2.5hp 20 gal tank for over 30 years now with no problems. BUT it is very noisy. I took the drain valve off and replaced it with a regular ball valve that way I can blow out the water every day if needed with no hassle.
If you are planning on doing a lot of painting go for an oil filled one like the guys suggest. But for tires, cleaning parts etc the oiless is good enough for me.

I will agree with most of whats been said.

Im sure money is an object like it was for me.
the thing is..if your using it for painting...thats gonna use a lot of air..(always more than the gun mfg states.)
So bigger is usually better as far as compressors/painting go. Its like having a lot of money or a big d!@k, you dont have to use it all at once. ;)

I bought a craftsman ..i forget the specifics..pretty big horizontal tank...basically maintenance free for the last 8 yrs. Its been good to me. it was like 350 8 yrs ago.I use it mainly for painting as well.

i can get the specifics if u want.

My buddy that does a lot of work in his garage (does a lot on "on the side" business fixing tractors, bikes, snowmobiles, ect) used to have a big Husky oil-free compressor. It was extremely noisy, if it was running conversation required shouting. It was a decent size one, like 30 or 40 gallon. Mostly ran impact guns and air ratchets.

Problem was once it kicked on, it took forever to recharge the tank. Even if you stopped using air entirely, it would run for a good 2-3 minutes. If you kept working and intermittently using air, it wouldn't keep up and run continiously. If you made it run for more than about 10 minutes straight, it would overheat and shut itself off for a good 30 min before it would reset and fire up again.

It lasted about a year and half before one of the times the compressor "soft-seized", the motor wouldn't turn it over after it had overheated. We took it apart, shot a ton of oil into the piston, and got it free again. It worked for another week or so then locked up again. It got hot enough to burn the oil that had gotten into the cylinder....stinky oil smoke was blowing out of the air tool exhaust.

He replaced it with a 40gal Craftsman two stage oiled. It's far quieter and produces a lot higher output of air.

I've seen oiled compressors as small as like 10 gal and around $100.

Harbor Freight has an 8 gal oiled for $120. Then again, I can't really recommend Harbor Freight tools for anything you use regularly. Great for those odd-jobs, but for everyday stuff like ratchets and wrenches I haven't had good luck and ended up buying Craftsman.

Unless it's for very intermittent, low demand use and you're on a strict budget, there's not much reason to cheap out on an oil free.

i got a 15 gallon CH 200 psi one from lowes for like $200 with a 2 year no questions asked warranty. seems to work so far (oil-less). the 200 psi is nice.

This all could be a moot point consdering I just took the Jeep in because it died on me, either a tranny issue or a fuel pump issue. Commmmme on fuel pump issue.

I am not trying to buy cheap, but I am also not trying to invest more money then I need to. I can/will keep looking but from what I have seen, the oil ones in my price range seem to be on the cheap side. And I deffently dont have the money for one over a grand, or the need for one that expensive. I am not *too* worried about the noise because it will be placed next to the garage door, and worse case I can push it two feet outside.

06VMax: Glad to hear that it holds up. One thing that was worrying me is longevity. I dont want to buy something and it go bad in a year or so. I will also be using it a lot less then you so thats good.

Sorry, cant really reply to everyones posts but Thanks for all the advice.

Lots of good advice here. For a fixed garage application get the biggest tank and best motor/head you can afford. Ive been running the same Snap-On 30 gallon horizontal tank with Dayton 110/220 motor and Dayton V-Twin oil-bath head unit for 20 years myself. I bought it used as well. Mounted and plumbed in both of my garages since I've owned it.

Latest posts

Back