Air/Electric Shifter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nuclear Banana

Reaction score
I'm wanting to put an air shifter or electric shifter on my Max for drag racing. Does anyone out there have one on their bike and what is the best one to get? Trying to find out how much they run, a brad to buy and how well does it work...

Thanks.

Check this site out. MPS Air Shifter you'd have to make up a bracket for the shift cylinder. He also has paint ball adapters for high pressure setups. Nice thing about the high pressure is the bottles are smaller making it easier to hide on the bike. One fill... hundreds of shifts. If your interested just give him a call and he'll set you up... he's a nice guy.

I have a pingel E-shifter and it worked fine on my 01 FZ1 I’m going to put it on my zx14 but I dont know how well it will work on the 1 Gen max I guess I could put it on it and see.

I was kind of skepticle about the electric shifter ones. looks like the Holeshot one you still have to move the shifter with your foot, which hits a kill switch when you lift up the shifter for it to fall in gear...I dont like that concept.

I want to get away from any foot movement and go with the horn button. The air shifter with the paintpall CO2 sounds like the way to go.

Looks like some of the Pingle shifers are close to $500! Jeeezzzzzzzz

I'll look into the Cycle One or MPS.....

I am not sure what I sell the pingle stuff for but it will be less then retail. Everything I have used from them as been a good product though.
Sean

I was kind of skepticle about the electric shifter ones. looks like the Holeshot one you still have to move the shifter with your foot, which hits a kill switch when you lift up the shifter for it to fall in gear...I dont like that concept.

I want to get away from any foot movement and go with the horn button. The air shifter with the paintpall CO2 sounds like the way to go.

Looks like some of the Pingle shifers are close to $500! Jeeezzzzzzzz

I'll look into the Cycle One or MPS.....

You want to go Drag Racing and are concerned about cost? Your in the wrong game.

FYI:

Cycle One Off has a air shifter for sale, $450. I am not sure what they use to kill the ignition put that could cost you more?

Good luck

You want to go Drag Racing and are concerned about cost? Your in the wrong game.

FYI:

Cycle One Off has a air shifter for sale, $450. I am not sure what they use to kill the ignition put that could cost you more?

Good luck

Hello,

The kit comes with a air kill switch.

Regards
Tom
Cycle One-off Inc.
P.O. Box 15415
Rochester, NY 14615
Order by phone toll free 1(866) 238-5450
[email protected]
www.cycleoneoff.com

An "air" kill swith? How does that kill the ignition?

Where does it hock up?

Please give me more details.

"Air over Air - With this system there is an air button on the handlebars that sends air to a pressure switch and an air cylinder. The pressure switch, called an "Air Kill Switch", kills the ignition while the air cylinder actuates the shift lever to engage the next gear. When the button is released the pressure switch and shift cylinder are deactivated, the ignition is turned back on and the shift cylinder returns to its original position ready for the next shift. The amount of time the engine is turned off, called "Kill Time", is determined by the system pressure, length of the air lines connecting it all together and how long the button is held. "

MRE and MPSracing systems also use the air kill system. When tuned it kicks much ass. MPSracing.com has a picture of it. Basically its an electric switch that is wireed into your ignition and then attached to a air powered actuator. From the actuator it hits a manifold for the supply. I sugest upgrading to the electric over air setup for a couple dollars more to save some space on your bars.

The last time I looked you can pick up an electric over air "air shifter Jr. " for under $300 from Schnitz racing, a MRE air shifter at http://zxzone.com/airshifters.html For $235 or $255 with DOT tank in either air over air or electric over air. I love MRE, its a great product and affordable prices.

I would opt for the JR shifter, the deluxe shifter is geared more towards higher hp/pro class use, and is more stout for more abuse. I've ran the JR shifter on 250+hp turbo nitrous bikes with out any issues. It would be totally at home on a Vmax but, if you wanna go that way the deluxe shifter can be had for under $350

FYI:

Good luck

I have a 10.5 tire car I drag race that most all my money go towards, so I know all about cost for drag racing. Takes lots of money to get a street car into the 5.70's in the 1/8th mi.

My V Max is a street strip bike, so I want to get the best bang for the buck to get my V Max a little more consistent for bracket racing when I'm not heads up racing my car.
I hand clutch and foot shift my Max right now and am usually around .05 most passes, but last night a clutched it a little fast and didnt have it fully in 2nd gear, costing me the race. I want to eliminate that factor by shifting with a push of the button.

The Air over Air or electric over air system sounds like what I may try. especially for under $300. Thats the price I'm looking for.

:ummm:I have an Idea I may try. I use to have an electric auto shift in my car. It's a good size solinoid. I could possibly modify the shifter, then mount the electric shift solinoid where it will be positioned for the right length to bump the gears. It runs off a one wire hot lead, so I can use the wires that run to my horn now. That will give a hot signal to kick the electric shift solinoid.

To kill the engine when I hit the button, I can run the wire off the horn button into a relay and tie into the kill switch I have on the handlebars. This is similar to running a WOT nitrous switch/trans break wiring set up on a car. (nitrous if off while trans break button is pressed. once released, the nitrous gets it's voltage) by wiring into a relay.

When the horn button is pressed, it will send voltage to the relay. Voltage will flow to the electric solinoid, and close voltage to the kill switch, in turn, killing the engine the length the button is depressed. What I do not know is if it will kill the engine long enough to engage to the next gear. It may not kill the engine long enough.... Or it may.... Only one way to find out..LOL

Maybe I should just order the Schnitz air shifter to take the guess work out..Hahaha

Latest posts

Back