Air filter question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScooterZ

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place for this question but...

What is a good air filter to use?

My new to me 03 has what looks like fine dust on the intake tubes. The current filter doesn't look dirty and no clouds of dust come out when squirted with compressed air. It has a white plastic frame with screen on the carb intake side. No logo.

Thanks

I may have a good used drop in K&N around here. If stock or slip-on exhaust that's the way to go. Not an increase in performance but simply a reusable filter!

Sean

I have an almost new K&N if you're interested. I purchased it from a member here, had it on my bike for about 5 days before I got Morley's muscle kit (comes with a new filter) so I don't need the K&N anymore. PM me if interested.

I have been researching on this forum about raising the "Y" for some time but I am a little confused. Do you just outline/cut out the shape of the "y" from a piece of foam that is about 1/2" thick and cut out the center of the foam piece, get some longer screws and sand down the top of the "y" so everything fits?
I'm getting a K&N filter in the mail soon. Sorry Sean, I would buy your jet kit, but I have a little less than a year from graduation and I got a wedding next year too (basically no spending money :bang head:), but maybe after I get a real job I'll buy the goods along with a nice exhaust system.:punk:

Lew L, Yes I agree...Could you please explain "raise the Y". I am assuming you are talking about the y shaped air intake on the top of the air filter housing.
Thanks,
Z

Just remove the "Y" piece off the airbox lid, and slip a small washer between them at each screw, and put it back. This will lift it a touch and let more air in, since it's no longer sealing around the edges.

I tried removing mine entirely and while the bike still ran OK the low and midrange felt a little softer.

Yes,
Just get longer screws and some thin flexable foam to raise the "Y" 3/8 to 1/2 an inch. Also consider shimming the needles a few ( 0.020") . With a stock exhaust system you probably shouldn't do much more to the intake.
Lew

Update: I know it's been a little while. I did the mod a few weeks ago. But I checked my plugs before and The Beekeeper just checked one the other day and plugs are looking a little black like she is running rich. Just curious what you guys think. Could this be because of raising the "y" a little bit? Thanks

Jeremy

Yes,
Just get longer screws and some thin flexable foam to raise the "Y" 3/8 to 1/2 an inch. Also consider shimming the needles a few ( 0.020") . With a stock exhaust system you probably shouldn't do much more to the intake.
Lew

I found some 3/8 plastic bushings and longer screws at the local hardware store. It worked great on the Y.Stock Neddles shimmed to .032, might try a little less shim because She runs good without the shims too.
Steve-o

Update: I know it's been a little while. I did the mod a few weeks ago. But I checked my plugs before and The Beekeeper just checked one the other day and plugs are looking a little black like she is running rich. Just curious what you guys think. Could this be because of raising the "y" a little bit? Thanks

Jeremy

I don't think so , the extra air should lean it out some. Floats set right?
Good clean filter?
Steve-o

Took apart carbs this past winter. Few weeks ago got a new filter and raised the " y. I might reset the A/ F to 3 1/4 out to make sure they are set right. I might also try the shotgun/peashooter

Back