Air scoop oxidation??

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs_Max

Reaction score
On my '97 I've noticed some rough spots showing up on the scoops. I'm guessing oxidation. Anything to do other than paint them?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Yeah that stuff's tough to get rid of. The oxidation takes place under the clear. I stripped mine using a gel style paint remover that i got from home depot. Its nice to work with because it doesn't run, but is corrosive stuff. Wear gloves and crack a window for sure. After stripping the clear, get to sanding. I started with a 320 grit wet/dry paper. I like using WD-40 instead of water. Go from the 320, 400, 600 and finish with 1000. I finished with a go on the polishing wheel.

From there you can either reclear or just leave it. I left mine and just polish them occasionally to keep 'em shining hope this helps!
Dave

There was a set already polished in the classified section but that is hardly the "murdered out" look you kids are going for these days.
PATMAX

I have a set of chrome ones on one Max and polished on the other. If you have the cash, chrome is the way to go. Easier to clean and keep shiny, that is if you like 'em shiny. If you choose to leave the raw polished aluminum exposed, just beware of which cleaning chemicals you use. Some soaps will undo all that hard work! Don't ask how I know.

Chrome! We can help you out with that. Nothing is as easy to clean or as durable!

i thought about powder coating them....i also thought about chrome. how much would it be to chrome them?? be sweet ... i'm a girl. haha.

i thought about powder coating them....i also thought about chrome. how much would it be to chrome them?? be sweet ... i'm a girl. haha.

My only little opinion

Just beware when going chrome, polished or powder coat;
I mean beware of your Vmax theme and keep it on the way it is

like, if you don`t have any chrome and you chrome your scoops; they will flash and take all attention, there you get a little vmax engine under big chrome scoops

As an exemple; try this;
remove the chomed intake cover, brus-paint intake in black, and see how your engine got a bigger and bad-ass look (this is an exemple)

kind of creasy????

get serious in the garage; and look it that way!!!!!!

Witch theme your bike is?? stock or mod, if mod; witch theme your goin on??

another one;
some Bikers are pride of there carbon look mirrors, but, if mirrors are the only part with carbon look; there`s no theme, it`s just a bunch of un-match items together:bang head:

But once the bike`s done i`l respect choice of everyone, it`s only my eyes that are suffering:biglaugh:

:punk::punk:

Mine are polished, and after a year of sitting they don't look too shiny anymore. So I'm gonna polish them again, and then I'm thinking of trying a clear coat on top as I have some left from my rear mudguard, just to see how it lasts..

Mine are polished, and after a year of sitting they don't look too shiny anymore. So I'm gonna polish them again, and then I'm thinking of trying a clear coat on top as I have some left from my rear mudguard, just to see how it lasts..

Mine are polish also,
To keep it with nice look;
i use <mother`s allum polish> it`s a withe liquid stuff in there red bottle.

Not good for polish allum parts,
it`s only good for refresh and maintenance during summer between bike wash.

You could also clear powder the polished scoops...you loose a bit of gloss (10-15%), but wont be polishing again for a long time...

Back