Airbox inlets, crankcase vent, and oil.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kratos

Reaction score
Has anyone tried running with the top of the airbox off? Seems like it would get much better air flow than just the two small inlets built into it.

Can you plug the crankcase inlet on the airbox and just put a filter on the end of the hose to vent crankcase the to atmosphere? Will this hurt the bike in any way?

I have been using Royal Purple in my sportbikes for quite some time, the VMAX is the first cruiser type bike I have owned. I haven't seen any posts on here relating to Royal Purple, has anyone used Royal Purple in their VMAX? Can you give me any recommendations?

Has anyone tried running with the top of the airbox off? Seems like it would get much better air flow than just the two small inlets built into it.

Can you plug the crankcase inlet on the airbox and just put a filter on the end of the hose to vent crankcase the to atmosphere? Will this hurt the bike in any way?

I have been using Royal Purple in my sportbikes for quite some time, the VMAX is the first cruiser type bike I have owned. I haven't seen any posts on here relating to Royal Purple, has anyone used Royal Purple in their VMAX? Can you give me any recommendations?

You can not run with the lid off. It will run like crap unless you put some air correctors in the top jets and then it would probably be OK. Your best bet is to buy Sean Morley's jet kit which makes the lid an air filter and comes with the correctors and jets. You can take the Y off with no issues but it's pretty well proven that it doesn't do much of anything.

I used Royal Purples Max cycle in my SV a couple of times but changed both of my bikes to Shell Rotella T 5W40 synthetic. It's high zinc and non energy conserving status makes it a great choice for not cat'd bikes. The high zinc will cause catilytic convertor issues.

Thanks for the info 4gasem! Just to make sure, I meant running without the air inlets portion on the top of the airbox, not the entire top half. I'm sure you knew what I meant, but just want to make sure.

Yea, removing any part of the top of air box will make it run like shite unless you mod the jetting too.

I also use Shell Rotella-T (15W50) and from what I can tell, the frequency of oil changes is WAY more important than the brand of oil, as long as it's a non-energy conserving type (the energy conserving agents can cause clutch slip problems in bikes).

Coming up to 2000 highway miles here, so the oil is being renewed this weekend. I still think I'm being over-protective with this mileage, but I'd rather buy oil than engine parts :punk:

Understood, I've just seen Royal Purple being used and in seeing the dyno runs prove the oil itself can add a few extra ponies, that is a good thing. Having used it myself, I've seen that the clinging properties are better than any other oil I have used (Mobile 1 and Castrol). I see that you use a different viscosity than the Yamaha manual recommends. What is the advantage?

Understood, I've just seen Royal Purple being used and in seeing the dyno runs prove the oil itself can add a few extra ponies, that is a good thing. Having used it myself, I've seen that the clinging properties are better than any other oil I have used (Mobile 1 and Castrol). I see that you use a different viscosity than the Yamaha manual recommends. What is the advantage?

Stick with 10/40 in your area.

You CAN run with the Y off the airbox if you want.

Chris

I like Royal Purple and I am a user of it except in my VMAX..

If I use any type of synthetic in my VMAX i get clutch slippage bad starting in 3rd and all the way at WOT..

I use heavier oil because I'm in Florida and it's hot!!!

Talking about Florida,, I'm going to be in Orlando on Friday for a week! :banana::banana::banana: !! Good bye snowy weather! :snow:

Yea let's do it it'll be great to catch up!

Here's what works for me:

- saturday 13th late (after 9pm)
- sunday 14th evening (dunno exactly yet waiting to hear on my working hours that day)
- tuesday 16th to thursday 18th, anytime in the day before 4pm
- friday 19th anytime after 12pm

:hijacked: BTW Buster, I think you need to give yourself a thread hijacker's award for this one LOL :hijacked: :rofl_200::rofl_200:

Back