alternative to vrod headlight mod ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got an H4 HID kit in the garage, I just am not sure I want to use it in this particular headlight.

As for mounting, I made a cheesy mock up bracket from spare metal I had laying around. It's sturdy but ain't purdy ;). I did not use the mounting tab provided. Instead, I monuted it with the two screw hole thingies that hold the back cover on.

Here we go, after 1 month I finally receive the headlight.
I got some time this afternoon so I installed it.
Fit is really easy, almost plug and play.
I just did bore a little bit bigger the hole for the bulb since it's not a H4 originally.
I finally put my existing HID inside. I still have the day light bulb I didn't plug since it's not existing on the v-max. Still thinking what I will do.

Wanted to ask where I can find the tachometer coupler ?
I want to check the lighting harness part since the previous guy did shit with electrical tape. So I will do it again but properly.

Here are the pictures. I just find it gorgeous even for an ABS plastic.

Hope you will like it :eusa_dance:

Attachments

• 14112009058.jpg
    14112009058.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 14112009059.jpg
    14112009059.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 14112009060.jpg
    14112009060.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 94
  • 14112009061.jpg
    14112009061.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 87
  • 14112009062.jpg
    14112009062.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 14112009063.jpg
    14112009063.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 85
  • 14112009064.jpg
    14112009064.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 70
that looks really trick. i like it. what kind of bulb is it supposed to take if not h4?

I'm so pissed !!
Did you already see a headlight melting ?
Here I go, my HID melted the reflector of the headlight.
Good thing it didn't go on fire while riding.
I'm back to stock and pissed about that F.... headlight.

So guys, back off from it if you want to run H4. The bulbs provided might be right for the headlight but not sure it provide enough light.

Attachments

• 23112009069.jpg
    23112009069.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 23112009070.jpg
    23112009070.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 40
i've been lookin at changing the stock headlight on my 97 v max for a while now. i was leaning towards the vrod light or the mt 01 light. the vrod lights i've been watching sell for around $200-$250 and it seems there are alot of people running this light now. the mt 01 light is hard to find and about $500 new! i came across this a few days ago on ebay with a buy it now for $150. i bid it out at the last minute and got it for a little less. hopefully it'll be here by the weekend and if we still havent got snow i'll get it on the bike! it may not work out but it very well could
newheadlight2.jpg

newheadlight3.jpg

newheadlight4.jpg

this last pics is a manufacturer pic of the light installed on a bike
newheadlight1.jpg

i just couldnt help myself! it originally came from a german company and the previous owner never installed it. it lists for about $210 without the shipping from the site. here's the link if anyone else is interested in getting one.
http://www.shin-yo.de/artikeldetails...s_223-062.html

later odieoh24

That one looks nice you're right. Little bit more bulky will have been great.
I love the MT-01 one, but I have been looking for month before I got the melted one.
The only I found was coming a French bike builder, It was a bnew and very expensive.

I'm back to the stock one until I get a good one.
I won't get plastic anymore.

I was thinking maybe playing with 2 ellipsoidal headlamps setup vertically and a nice bracket for a streetfighter look.
Just need to be sure it's waterproof lol

Attachments

• 45a3_1_b.JPG
    45a3_1_b.JPG
    14 KB · Views: 22
Yeah gorgeous, bulky enough to fit the massive look of the v-max.
and with that dual headlight, I can remove my HID I will still have enough light.

Not cheap tho. but nice item and looks like very good quality.

Not cheap tho. but nice item and looks like very good quality.

Not too bad at $250 for the lights, wiring and brackets. They have a wiring and headlight only option for $178.

I'm going to pull my headlight and instrument cowel and eBay them puppies tomorrow. It should offset a portion of the price. :clapping:

Thinking about it, I spent 100$ for a 2 weeks headlight.
A bracket can be around 20-40$.
So yeah you're right, the price is not bad at all.
And you're sure the fitting will be smooth.

Let me know when you did install it :)

That one looks nice you're right. Little bit more bulky will have been great.
I love the MT-01 one, but I have been looking for month before I got the melted one.
The only I found was coming a French bike builder, It was a bnew and very expensive.

I'm back to the stock one until I get a good one.
I won't get plastic anymore.

I was thinking maybe playing with 2 ellipsoidal headlamps setup vertically and a nice bracket for a streetfighter look.
Just need to be sure it's waterproof lol

check out the link i posted. they have a few setups in this projector style! i got a really good deal on the one i posted so i couldnt resist.

later odieoh24

odieoh24, they have a lot of stuff.
Typically all the nice and quality headlights I'm used to see on ebay are there.
I will save the link and compare the prices.

Thanks for the link :)

If I remember right those aztec brackets are all plastic. I don`t know if that`s good or bad but my gut feeling is bad!

Dale 2592

I'm traumatized with plastic now lol

I have same feedback with my turn signal in plastic.
They look great at first but with time and heat I start to regret the one I bought even if they look great.

So I guess I will only get items with metal housing.

If I remember right those aztec brackets are all plastic. I don`t know if that`s good or bad but my gut feeling is bad!

Dale 2592

I called them today, they are using a composite Clamps with the bracket (the triangle piece being aluminum.

They guy told me the "composite" stuff is basically the same material the stock headlight bucket is made of on my 07. I'm willing to gamble on it.
I'm looking at the headlight assy itself, it shouldn't be too hard to use the stock mounting. I'm going to go with the $178 headlight kit and pigtail first, If it
looks like I'm going to need thier brackets, I'll order them. I was reading some posts from the svriders forum, the brackets seem to get a pretty good review.

You can anytime get a thick metal bracket too if ever.
The stock headlight looks pretty strong already. Just need to make sure, they did use some rubber part for avoiding too much vibration.

KJShover, it really looks like a very good deal and the unit seems to be very good quality.
I cannot wait for the review and some pics of the setup hehe. Just hope it's bright enough for your needs.

KJShover, it really looks like a very good deal and the unit seems to be very good quality.
I cannot wait for the review and some pics of the setup hehe. Just hope it's bright enough for your needs.

I'll write it up, good or bad, you'll hear it as I see it. as far as lighting needs there is 24 hours of daylight up here in the summer, so thats never been a big deal to me as far as the needs. I have always ridden around with my high's on so that I might be a little more noticeable:biglaugh:.

We'll see what my stuff on eBay goes for, before I place my order. I've gotten into the habbit of selling stuff I don't need before I place an order for the stuff I want. I've already set aside some moneys for about a grand order in January.

24h daylight oh shit lol
I just notice where you live :)

Here light is more a matter of life and death.
If you're not noticed on the road you're dead.

Almost went inside a bus one time when it crossed in front of me 3 lanes on a 4 lanes highway.
Not sure if the driver did see me or even look at before moving.

Sine that time I love loud horns and bright light lol

Back