another backfiring max

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna_dude74

Reaction score
Hey all, so here is my dilemma.... I'm hearing my 1994 "POP" through the exhaust on the left side when running about 4500 RPM constant. I ended up parking the bike on empty about a month ago, like a dumbass!! Always top off when you park if you can. So I get her out tonight, and the fuel light is on, so off to the station I go and top off. On the way to the local hang-out I thought I heard backfiring / popping more than normal rumble. I have a Jardine exhaust, but that's it. As we play, harder and harder, never getting out of second gear, but in the boost most of the time, the backfire / popping gets louder. On the way home, I notice that at 4500 RPM, there is a backfire / pop when I hold the constant RPM. So here is what I'm thinking.......
1) Sucked some junk into the carb at start-up (what little gas was no good)
2) Something rubber dried and cracked on the carbs
3) something wrong with coils
4) something wring with ignition

Going to buy some Chevron with Techron tomorrow and see if that helps. I think I am going to spray some carb cleaner around the carbs to see if I notice change. Let me know what you guys think?

A fuel system cleaner/ additive would be my first port of call.
I would use one that is added to the petrol so it will be taken through the jets.

Status update..... So added what was left in my bottle of Seafoam to my tank and let it set overnight, maybe 2oz to my 3 gallons or so I left in the tank from the fill up. I reached down to check if I possibly had the choke on when riding last night, and sure enough it was on. I put about 20 miles with the choke on 1/4!!!!! I am feeling like such a newbie with a silly move like that. Oh well, I guess that why we call them "life lessons" At any rate the bike ran great into work this morning.

Heh, sometimes it's the silliest things. I'm surprised that was the issue though, because my 06 makes it impossible to forget the choke is on. With even the slightest amount of choke the bike lets you know when it's warm. It'll bring the rpms to 2k minimum, and always feels like it wants to move... to the point I'm not sure I'd even need to give any throttle to pull out of 1st. The choke and releasing the clutch would do it just fine (never tested because I turn the choke off instead lol).

has the poping stopped now.have you riden it again.
I'd say if its still there recheck the sync and maybe open your a/f screws another 1/8 turns....

Well the problem is back....took her on a long highway ride, playing cat and mouse again in 3rd and 4th gear. The funny thing is that there is no change in performance. Just barley move the throttle and she scoots. There is a popping at 3800-4000 constant, and even more on decal. I'm wondering if there is an exhaust leak, or something hanging up in one or two of the carbs. I need to find a local friend and see if he can sync the bike again. The air filter is very old, but wouldn't thing it would cause a sudden change like this. This tank is just about empty and thinking of running a "RICH" mixture of Chevron with Techron for the last 20 miles and see what that does. I also need to pull the plugs, maybe I'll post pics tomorrow. Do I need to drill out the factory plugs in order to do shotgun treatment? I have done nothing other than let the bike sit with an empty tank for a month, so what would have dried up or got stuck in this warm weather that would not in the cold winter??

So the plugs look good to me. the pics are in this order 4 / 2 / 3 / 1 because I was hearing the popping out of the left pipe, so cyl 2 & 4 were my first concern. I checked the bolts to the Jardines, and all snug. I was thinking an exhaust leak, but you never know the gasket material might have gave when I tried to realign them a this spring. You will notice there appears to be a threaded boss that is missing the screw. This is on carb #1 and I can't see on the other carbs to compare, so what is missing, or is that supposed to be that way. I also noticed there was some oil on the left carb bank, you can see this on the pic with the air tubes. Where in Michigan can I buy BG-44K instead of Chevron with Techron?
Thanks to all for your help

Well the problem is back....took her on a long highway ride, playing cat and mouse again in 3rd and 4th gear. The funny thing is that there is no change in performance. Just barley move the throttle and she scoots. There is a popping at 3800-4000 constant, and even more on decal. I'm wondering if there is an exhaust leak, or something hanging up in one or two of the carbs. I need to find a local friend and see if he can sync the bike again. The air filter is very old, but wouldn't thing it would cause a sudden change like this. This tank is just about empty and thinking of running a "RICH" mixture of Chevron with Techron for the last 20 miles and see what that does. I also need to pull the plugs, maybe I'll post pics tomorrow. Do I need to drill out the factory plugs in order to do shotgun treatment? I have done nothing other than let the bike sit with an empty tank for a month, so what would have dried up or got stuck in this warm weather that would not in the cold winter??

Attachments

• IMG_1072.jpg
    IMG_1072.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1073.jpg
    IMG_1073.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1074.jpg
    IMG_1074.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1078.jpg
    IMG_1078.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 40
Well I ran 1/2 bottle of Cevron with Techron for 10 miles keeping her at 4-5K RPM and let her idle for about 10 minutes, and no change. Next I will pull the cover & air filter and see what kind of action the slides have, maybe one is sticking, or a whole in a diaphram. All symptoms lead me to an ignition problem, or a lean fuel mixture. I just don't understand because the Jardine slip-ons have been on for over a year and never had this issue before. I really need to get the carbs synced again and see what that does. I should change the pug wires as they are stock. Maybe COP's if not out of my price range.

Those threaded bosses are on all 4 carbs and are not used on the Max. Have no idea what they are for. Maybe that carb body was used in other applications. :confused2:

Thanks Don, I was scratching my head over that one... Now back finding a sync tool to barrow, buy one, or pay someone to do it for me....

What's the a/f screws set at??? And by any chance is it a Cali bike????

I'd also run a bit of sea foam in the tank

TRy draining float bowls and see if you have crap in them . my bike started to run like poop so I did the shotgun and pea shooter .Seemed to clear up but I will need to find cause of the crap.I will be changing fuel lines inspecting fuel pump and fuel filter and lastly coating fuel tank ..

Hey all, so I took some advice from a fellow maxer Rob "Slobman" and sprayed the boots under the carb going to the intake. Sure enough the exhaust started spewing smoke out. Looks like its time to change those.... Not too sure about the boots from intake to engine or the Vboost boots. I would think changing them all at the same time would be the correct PM, but I don't have the money or knowledge ....

It's easy enough to remove and replace. Maybe give Sean or Kyle a call...they might have some good used ones to save you some cash.

Well everyone good news,,,The bike is running great:punk: So I nursed the old girl over to Damon's house for review. He laughed at me as I pulled up his drive, he new it was off, the mighty V4 was a wimpy 2-1/2:stretche::ummm: :ummm:so we got her up on the center stand and removed some cosmetics to inspect the carb boots, which Damon said weren't that bad. Damon, with all his infinite wisdom knew exactly what to do, and we began draining the fuel bowls. Then Damon proceeded to show me how to blow out the PAJ1, one by one. (thanks for the schooling Damon:worthy::worthy::worthy:), long story short, drained bowls repeatedly and blew and blew and blew :boxing00: until we knocked out that rust. Damon was able to get all the carbs synced and I couldn't be happier:clapping::clapping:

Now for the bad news.... I stopped for gas in Webberville on my way to Lansing and wouldn't you know it, "HOT-START ISSUE":bang head: Just for shoots-n-giggles we checked to see if my horn was getting power while at Danon's and the meter only read 11.5 without anything running on the bike. So now I need to scourer this AWSOME forum to get ideas for process of elimination :pullhair::hmmm::whistlin::tantrum::th_signs60:
I Emailed Sean Morley for pricing on an updated rectifier, mosfet I believe, and I found Rick's Stator on Ebay, and I saw but don't know if available, a kit called "HOT START KIT" that is larger cable from Pos to starter. The gentleman has not replied back to me ([email protected]) So wish me luck and feel free to reply back with any ideas, starting cheap and going expensive,​

Attachments

• carb rust.jpg
    carb rust.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 40
same crap in my bowls !! just read up on hot starts and electical .I've fix or corrected stuff on my bike that I had no clue how to till I came on this forum Take one thing at a time and before you know it will be running superb !! Think of all the money you will save and be able to feed that friggen monkey.

I have both his kits, the HD ground and starter kit. Much better quality than OEM. Can't testify if they work better but no starting or other issues. :confused2:

If you can't diagnose the exact problem, I would only change one item at a time. Not likely everything is bad.

Latest posts

Back