Anybody Recognize this?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piercew

Reaction score
The clutch is still hung up on my wife's GS550L. When I pulled the clutch cover off, this fell into my drain pan. Any ideas where it is supposed to live?
5jtt7k.jpg

As always, you guys are awesome and thanks for the help.

That's a relief, thank you gentlemen. Guess its time to replace the breather hose.

Restrictor for the crank case vent tube that goes to airbox?

Don't know about the Suzuki but on the Yamaha the restrictor is big enough so that it fits the inside of the hose but is too big to go thru the nipple the hose plugs in to..

That little chunk of metal inside the engine case is a little scary...

Don't know about the Suzuki but on the Yamaha the restrictor is big enough so that it fits the inside of the hose but is too big to go thru the nipple the hose plugs in to..

That little chunk of metal inside the engine case is a little scary...

Yes i agree i wonder how it got there... But im not so sure its the restrictor as the restrictor has a shoulder. I was doubtful when i posted frist but now im sure. CHeck below...

vmaxbuild70.jpg

Upon further inspection, there are two problems with the crankcase vent restrictor theory. The "hole" in the center is just a dimple, so it is more of a plug. The other problem is that the crankcase doesn't appear to be vented; as in there is no vent line nor an opening in the case for one to attach, at least not on that side of the engine.

I did notice that this thing has a diameter that thing will fit very nicely into the I.D. of the cover guide pins. Maybe it was a manufacturing artifact that fell out the guide pin when I removed the cover? As I said, it fell into my drain pan; I didn't find it in the case. I've looked in through the Clymer manual and the IPBs and I can't find anything that looks like this little bugger.

Def not a restrictor that I have seen. I'm trying to remember where I have seen this before?

My V65 had a slipper clutch, (albeit a primitive one, it used the slipper to disengage 1/2 the friction discs) if I remember right it had a whole series of little discs or rollers like this somewhere in the clutch basket, so there were a lot of them. Don't know if the size really matches though, the Honda I think looked more like longer rollers seen in a roller bearing.

It was some kind of sprag type design.

It's been 23 years so working from memory here

Worked sort of like the starter clutch.

Just thinking out loud...

Last edited:
Back