Anyone concerned or Care if?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Earlzach

Reaction score
The dealership mechanics seem to put up some extra ride time in the "dealer prep" Think about it this is going to be a new limited opportunity for them as well. I believe some mechanic out there is going to take advantage. I dont want to have 50 miles on it when I pick it up.:ummm:

If it's got 50 miles on the clock it's a *used* bike. That comes with a hefty drop on the price tag.

If I ever bought a new bike again, I would refuse to take delivery if it had more than 5 miles on it. Of course that might be harder to do with an '09 Max :confused2:

Demand to be present when assembling and when bike is ridden. It is YOUR bike and it is a lot o'money. If the tech wants to give it a test ride, fine. You will be right behind him in another vehicle the entire time. I am sure that there will be some techs out there that will want to see if it is as fast as everyone is saying, take to some back ride and rape it. If it was up to me I would be present from the time they took it out of the crate to the time I rode off with it.

Demand to be present when assembling and when bike is ridden. It is YOUR bike and it is a lot o'money. If the tech wants to give it a test ride, fine. You will be right behind him in another vehicle the entire time. I am sure that there will be some techs out there that will want to see if it is as fast as everyone is saying, take to some back ride and rape it. If it was up to me I would be present from the time they took it out of the crate to the time I rode off with it.

Srsly? That's the most moronic thing I've ever heard.... :rofl_200:

It's a goddamn machine, not some future wife that'd be ruined after the first ride. It should be able to take a little hard riding and if it can't, I don't want it.

This is exactly what I did back in '85 when I bought a new 700x Maxim, 5-valve. With one exception-I took it for the test ride and told the dealer it was ok.

I was there when they unpacked the crate and I was the first and only one to sit on the seat and drive it. If I was getting an '09 you can best believe this is the same way I would handle it.

You don't need some 'pimply faced kid' to tell you whether your new bike runs good or not. Chances are he hasn't driven any more '09's than you have! :confused2:

It's a goddamn machine, not some future wife that'd be ruined after the first ride. It should be able to take a little hard riding and if it can't, I don't want it.

Well, maybe it's just me but I SURE AS SHIT wouldn't want to be riding in the car behind when my future wife took her first hard ride!!!

But I'm funny that way. :rofl_200: :rofl_200: :rofl_200:

Yeah it's a goddamn machine that I just paid 17k for! If they want to ride it to make sure everything is functioning thats one thing but were talking about some tech taking it out and nailing it just for kicks. I paid the big bucks for that privilage not the mechanic that assembled it. I wonder if the ECU could be read to see what if anything the test rider did before you take delivery?

Hmmm, apparently you care less about your bike than I. I am very particular about the things I buy and the way they are treated. To me my bike is more than just a simple machine, its my hobby, and its my passion. My clothes washer is just a machine. If I am going to drop 17k on this type of bike, at this time before anyone has ridden one and most certainly wants to, I am not going to allow it to be the service tech's gang bang whore before I take possession of it. IMHO of course.

Hmmm, apparently you care less about your bike than I. ........I am not going to allow it to be the service tech's gang bang whore before I take possession of it. IMHO of course.

I don't care less about it.... it's still 17k to me too. I just don't see being so anal about something that'd probably do more good than harm for the bike. It's just something I wouldn't want to see either though.... I wouldn't want 50miles on my new bike for sure, but if the service guy fires on it a couple times with the check ride, more power to him. I don't think I'd have the balls at first and that's bad for the bike.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

I don't care less about it.... it's still 17k to me too. I just don't see being so anal about something that'd probably do more good than harm for the bike. It's just something I wouldn't want to see either though.... I wouldn't want 50miles on my new bike for sure, but if the service guy fires on it a couple times with the check ride, more power to him. I don't think I'd have the balls at first and that's bad for the bike.

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

What happens if the mechanic beats on it too hard and a week later engine damage shows up? Yamaha looks into it under the warranty and says it is from abuse and that isn't covered under the warranty. Would you still not care about it?
And trust me, this isn't some scenario I just made up, I know someone this happened to when the Busa first came out. Mechanics buy into the hype from the bike makers and want to see if it is true.

Crap just wish I had enough cash that I could
contemplate buying the new Max. :worthy:Of course
I could be that guy testing that bike before you
picked it up . :stretche:

I've thought about all this as well. I can imagine the mechanic would love to see what it can do. I would like to be there for the unveiling as this is the first new bike I've ever owned and am very excited. If not, I have an advantage or two. First, my bike isn't due to arrive until February and it will be very cold out at that time and plenty of snow on the ground I'm sure. 2nd, there is plenty of salt on the roads at that time so it would be very evident that someone took it out and of course I'll check the mileage before signing. Hopefully others will report back once they get their bikes, I still have plenty of time to wait for mine and get a good idea what's happening to them as they arrive.

What happens if the mechanic beats on it too hard and a week later engine damage shows up? Yamaha looks into it under the warranty and says it is from abuse and that isn't covered under the warranty. Would you still not care about it?
And trust me, this isn't some scenario I just made up, I know someone this happened to when the Busa first came out. Mechanics buy into the hype from the bike makers and want to see if it is true.

Not to get too far off topic, but this is exactly why the 'ride it like you stole it' method of break in may be fine for your old Max, but it's not a good idea for an ECU-equipped bike. You're asking for a national-debt sized bill, not covered by warranty, should an engine issue show up.

I think it's fine to politely request that you, the new owner, be allowed to give the test ride after assembly. If the dealer objects, then go from there.

In 1979 I ordered a new Trans Am with the TA 6.6 motor, WS-6 package and 4 speed manual trans (all required options with the TA 6.6 motor). The called me to say it was ready. When I drove up I noticed the car being driven on the back lot. It appears the mechanics/set-up guys were taking turns doing burn-outs and in general trashing the car. That car turned out to be crap. I sold it before I had 9500 miles as it was a total lemon. Don't know if the treatment it got in its first 20 miles or so had anything to do with it but I didn't accept any more cars that I knew had been mistreated or damaged. I also once ordered a new Olds convertible. They told me it was in but when I got there they said it wasn't ready and to come back in a couple days. When they were unloading it from the truck, they dropped the chains on the hood. I happened to see it in the shop and went back to look at it. They were in the process of masking it off for a repaint of the hood. They were not going to tell me what happened. I would have gotten a very expensive new car with a repaired and repainted hood. I declined to take delivery and went to a Buick dealer and ordered a new convertible from them.

Dealers of any type cannot be trusted. I am always present when a new bike I purchased is being uncrated unless it was already on the floor. If it had been serviced, I do not buy it. In the old days the dealers would dis-connect the speedo cable for demo rides. Don't think the new speedos can be messed with though.

I took posession of my '07 in the winter of '07 it was assembled in the fall of 07 so very little "Test riding" was done to it. I can't remember but I think it had like 3 miles on the clock or something in that range. up here thats just a trip up the street.

I can see the concern though, how many oportunities are you going to get to ride the beast for free.

Check the rear tire. Granted, if they did test ride it around, even up the block and back, they could replace the tire. But wouldn't you see tire wear?

To be clear I dont mind them doing what they do for "dealer prep" Test ride and all. But knowing this a few and far between opporunity for the shop guys to ride something different makes me think I could get a bike that took a good thrashing before i talke it. That would really suck. I know if I had an opportunity if I worked there it would happen. I just dont want it to happen to me.:ummm:

In 1979 I ordered a new Trans Am with the TA 6.6 motor, WS-6 package and 4 speed manual trans (all required options with the TA 6.6 motor). The called me to say it was ready. When I drove up I noticed the car being driven on the back lot. It appears the mechanics/set-up guys were taking turns doing burn-outs and in general trashing the car.

Oh, man. They would have had to restrain me, especially if I had already paid for it by then. :bang head:

It's really sad when you have to have a covert op look out for you when your back is turned.

you guys need to think about the situation more.:ummm: the tech assembling the bike and test riding it knows if it comes back hurt - crashed running bad overheated...- that is his job :hitsfan:also the dealer if they have any brains:confused2: dont send just anyone to ride the new bikes. not many will let you do the ride due to liability issues. you guys are a little paranoid about the warranty too, yamaha builds a bike that is supposed to be fast and run hard,:no no no: a little hard to caim you ran it to hard, it has a rev limiter, sensor for overheating, misfires... relax its just money:rofl_200:

Figured I might as well jump in and tell how I handled this type of situation with my local dealer. I purchased my wife's FZ6 new with 0km on the odometer. It had just been assembled and was still dry. When we signed the papers on it I told the dealer that I wanted to be present when they did their Pre-delivery inspection and test ride. They has no problems at all with this. I followed the test rider on my Max for a couple of km then we headed back. He didn't do anything stupid with her bike and was quite happy that I followed him (figured if anything went wrong I was there to help LOL). If you are that concerned about the test ride make sure that your dealer knows you want to be present. I recommend following the tech that is test riding the bike. If you feel he/she does something inappropriate on the ride, report it to the dealer and Yamaha. Just my $.02 cdn.

Back