Anyone damaged their vmax from overrevving?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nidyanazo

Reaction score
I was giving it wide open throttle todat and one time when I was shifting out of 1st gear it went into nuetral instead of 2nd, and revved to the moon. I dont think anything bad happenned because I kept riding for quite a while after, and she still runs like a scalded cat... Maybe I'm over thinking things but I feel like its got a bit more vibration then usual.. and the left side seems noisier then the right.. Like a clutch noise clack clack clacking.. But only if you put your ear right up to the engine.

So my Q is has anyone ever damaged their motor from over revving it? What happened? Think mine's okay? She runs great so Id assume no harm no foul.. Guess I better pick up that ignition box with the rev limiter though as a safety precaution...

I think we've all done that before, and like myself, some of you more than once!...........:biglaugh:............The Max engine is very durable and is pretty forgiving for that once in a while missed shift, I run a shift light on mine and find it very usefull...........................Tom.

By-now, an 'old story' to frequent readers, but since you asked: http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21873&highlight=dyno+dilemma

It compelled me to do an undercut transmission besides the bottom-end work, and a valve-job, besides. I also added a Dynojet Stage 7 set of carbs, a UFO 4/1, and Gannon's COP's. Then after awhile of running the rebuilt bike, about eight days before I was due to leave for Daytona Bike Week, see the first three pics, I had a snapped-in-two camshaft on the rear intake, which was able to be fixed w/pieces from the bad connecting rod dyno victim.

All's-right now, and part of the rebuild was a DYNA 3000 ignition box w/rev limiter. It works.

Attachments

• intake cam.jpg
    intake cam.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 39
  • intake cam 2.jpg
    intake cam 2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 34
  • intake cam 3.jpg
    intake cam 3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 33
  • VMax head-valves.JPG
    VMax head-valves.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0683.jpg
    IMG_0683.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
So is there any definitive way to check and see if anything bad happened? Or just keep riding it and see if any problems develop?

It over revved with no load- I was already at the top of 1st gear, went to shift and it popped into neutral and just reved up really really high.

I ordered a dyna 3000 to be safe.

Thanks fellas'!

Very common situation. Not necessarily one to repeat on a regular basis but usually won't kill an engine right then with one time. I've run mine pretty hard and overrevved plenty of times. usually the first thing to happen will be small end wrist pin/rod wear which will create additional noise (tapping). This would not be an easy fix but can still give many years of service like this.

If you did any significant damage you'd know it by now.

We do sell the Dyna's too but have stated selling more and more of the ignitech units. ***Note, the dyna's do not always protect a free rev condition - I am not sure about the newer units that they are just coming out with.

A warm engine will generally withstand an occasional over rev. It happens. I never run a cold engine hard, it's a bad idea. Vmax Engines are pretty tough and as long as you don't make an all the time thing of revving into the Ozone Layer all should be good. Any damage would show it's ugly face soon after. If you put a couple hundred miles on it and it's running, I'd say you did no damage.

Latest posts

Back