Anyone else distill?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

42Below

Reaction score
For starters in New Zealand you can distill as much as you like for personal use so Im not breaking the law.

I understand not everyone is this lucky. I dont believe the ATF has a humour division and they nail you if caught.

I borrowed a still recently. used my beer kit and mad a wash to distill. I used a reflux still so not a purists attempt.

I used a bag of old bourbon barrel chips to flavour some, that makes some good bourbon!

I did some Irish cream, coffee cream etc...

I bought a still after that and will be doing my first run Tuesday as my wash is nearly done.
The wash is a simple one - 25L water, 6kg sugar and a yeast sachet. Keep it around 28C for a week then treat it to get the air out and settle the yeast etc to the bottom, then its ready for distilling.

It will make around 3.5L at 90%ABV ready to dilute, filter and flavour.
Its not about getting smashed for less, just a cheaper way to enjoy a drink and make it how you like it.
So does anyone else do this? :cheers:

I tried to make our own root beer and creme soda one time, let the yeast ferment too long and got all the kids buzzed. Does that count?

No, just bier. Perhaps someday.

8176f08c93600b1fcb63d5bf3aaaeff7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad was a bit of an outlaw and ran some shine a time or two. I think it was technically a brandy or hooch since it was made with fruit, usually BlackBerry or plums. It would straight light your ass up.
For legal reasons I guess I should say that was around 12 years ago and my dad has since passed.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

There was some fine White Lightning at Thunder a couple of years ago. I made wine many years ago with a friend, 250 gallons. It wasn't around too long either.Shine has entered my mind too. It would be fun to make. That Moonshine show just about is an instructional. In fact Tim from the show is marketing his shine now. All legal like.

Its crazy for us way down here that in some states you can carry an AR15 everywhere but they arrest you for making booze.

Now Im a hunter and shooter (have owned AK and AR...) but dont get having a rifle on me all day just running errands. They are a pain in the ass to carry.

Different countries, different ways I guess. You cant general carry here anyway, even the cops dont.

Its crazy for us way down here that in some states you can carry an AR15 everywhere but they arrest you for making booze.

Now Im a hunter and shooter (have owned AK and AR...) but dont get having a rifle on me all day just running errands. They are a pain in the ass to carry.

Different countries, different ways I guess. You cant general carry here anyway, even the cops dont.
Good point.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

We made up some ethanol in college Organic Chemistry. My lab partner and I doubled the listed ingredients and turned the required quantity after the fractional distillation.

Kept the rest and sipped on it during classes.

We made up some ethanol in college Organic Chemistry. My lab partner and I doubled the listed ingredients and turned the required quantity after the fractional distillation.

Kept the rest and sipped on it during classes.

They teach college kids to MAKE booze? Sheesh, now thats asking for trouble!:clapping:

Back