Anyone ever regret switching out the stock pipes?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to talk myself into a set of Mark's pipes. (Trying to do this all winter... :confused2: )

I don't do much (really any) touring, and spend most of my time stoplight to stoplight here in a Dallas suburb.

Just wondered if anyone developed long-term buyer's remorse from the swapout. Too loud? Leaks? Resale value hit?

Thanks.

Trying to talk myself into a set of Mark's pipes. (Trying to do this all winter... :confused2: )

I don't do much (really any) touring, and spend most of my time stoplight to stoplight here in a Dallas suburb.

Just wondered if anyone developed long-term buyer's remorse from the swapout. Too loud? Leaks? Resale value hit?

Thanks.

I wanted a Marks last year and 3 emails and 2 phone calls went unreturned...:bang head: Lost my business to Dale Walker and I have been very happy...

I wish they had DB killers that I could insert into the cans for late nights leaving the house...:whistlin:

The reduction in weight is a big plus to aftermarket systems... The stock rear assembly weighs a ton...

The sound alone was worth it IMHO. If you expect a huge hp or torque gain, I would look for another solution. I have spent a lot of time tuning and perfecting the running of my Mark's exhaust. In the end, I probably gained no more than 8-10 horsepower and 1-2 ft/lbs of torque over a properly tuned stocker. Like I said....the sound along is cherry.

Mark

Mine had allready been changed out by the guy i bought my bike from. i do wish I could have heard the stock set up, but I do like the way my bike sounds now....its LOUD..Kerkers with the baffles removed...

I once had put Cobra's on it and went thru the whole jetting (what they recommended and sold) and swapping scenario. Lost my center stand and power for the gain of good looks and a pretty decent sound. After a few years I took them off and put all of the old shit back on it. ...Glad I did.

Next time, (if there ever is one) it will be a full exhaust system and not slip-on's.

I had Cobras with the baffles punched out and switched back to stockers with 5 holes drilled in each muffler. The bike runs better with the stockers (the Cobras are a one muffler per cylinder deal with no shared chamber to equalize exhaust pulses) and probably makes a tad bit more power to boot. As far as the sound--well, the Cobras with no baffles did sound sorta good, but they also sounded sorta crappy and too loud. The stock pipes with the holes drilled are a good compromise for better sound and good all-around rideability.

No regret here...

I just switched the stock exhaust on my 2000 VMAX for a Dale Walker 4-2 set... Love the look and the sound is killer. I could not believe how heavy the stock set was... I much prefer the look of the cans to the megaphones. A guy on a VROD pull up to me the other day and commented on how good my VMAX sounded... It made my day and took away any buyers remorse... Money well spent IMO.

Now I blip the throttle and the panties start flyin... :biglaugh:

Keep the rubber side down - Skorcher

Back