Anyone Grind Their Shims?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmaxattacks

Reaction score
Since the carbs are off I might as well check the valves. Even though there is less than 16K miles it is still worth the look-see I guess. I know when I have done the valves on several of my Toyota engines with bucket shims I just measured them, found the culprits (usually tighter as the valves recede into the head normally) and just ground them on my surface grinder here at work to a 16 finish. I grind the backside that fits into the tappet bucket and re-etch the finished dimension back into it. Saves a butt-load of time trying to hunt them down not to mention the time and money lost in acquiring new ones.
Anyone else done this?
Curious,:ummm:

Thanx, Bud

Bud, yes it can be done. I usually mic the shims either way because sometimes the number is wrong. Funny you mention Toyotas because the older models use the same diameter shims.

I had to hand grind a pair for my bike when I needed to get it going and didn't have them (I needed very thin shims).

Sean

Latest posts

Back