Are R1/R6 caliphers better that stock?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dezeez

Reaction score
I just bought a set of '03 R6 calipers and while I was searching the web for any installation issues to watch out for, I came across a couple of people who said that the upgrade was cosmetic and not a performance jump. I know a lot of people have done this so what's the verdict? I'm putting them on a 2000 so I already have the four piston brakes. I also have SS brake lines.

Last edited:
Personally, I'd keep what you have. Friend went from late model Vmax calipers to R1 and didn't notice a whole lot. The key is the pads...switch to EBC HH if you haven't already.

Howard, I noticed some improvment when you went to the R1 calipers but can't remember how it was when it was stock.

Mark

I just bought a set of '03 R6 calipers and while I was searching the web for any installation issues to watch out for, I came across a couple of people who said that the upgrade was cosmetic and not a performance jump. I know a lot of people have done this so what's the verdict? I'm putting them on a 2000 so I already have the four piston brakes. I also have SS brake lines.

The stock 4 pots on the newer vmax's are 10 times better than the older 2 pot calipers.The 2 pot ones blow! I put zx1200 calipers on mine.Stops for real now.

I would say they will be cosmetic on your bike.The R1 master cylinder would be an upgrade. The braided lines are a big help too.

Any one still running 2 pot fronts needs to upgrade before they get hurt.I went down because of mine about a year ago.

Anyone know what type of pads come with the stock R6 calipers? The ones I bought are still in good shape. Guess I'll have to decide if I want to make the change or not.

They are lighter than stock and they are monoblock vs the two piece stock calipers allowing for more clamping force to be applied to the rotor instead of spreading the caliper apart. Those along with EBC HH pads will make a difference in your braking. Only caveat is that your brake lever travel with the stock masters will be minimal and may not actuate the brake light. Possible fix it to change the length of the switch adjustment screw in the stock lever. I switched to '03 FJR Masters. The stock pads on the R1/R6 may be HH already.

Mike Costa
VMOA #3531

Thanks for the info. I had heard that the stock pads are sintered but nobody will say positively yes or no. Guess I'll put them on and give it a try.

Re: Are R1/R6 calipers better that stock?

I went to R1 calipers and thought the difference was very noticible. It adds much more feel and power to the lever. The factory 4 pots I thought were spooky when trying to stop from high speeds. I remember several times trying to stop it from high speeds and wondering if I was going to roll straight through the stop light. The factory pads that came with the calipers seemed OK, but the EBC HH pads really made a difference. The R1/R6 calipers fluid passages are supposedly smaller allowing for more force to be placed on the pads with the same lever pull. I used the rear brake in conjunction in the fronts before, but since I have changed I have only used the rear brake to hold myself on hills or whatever. No need to use it to stop, even from triple digit speeds.

Back