Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the site Alex, congratulations on your '09 purchase! :thumbs up:

Of course you deserve it, you're here, right? Come on in and enjoy yourself, lots of good folks and interesting ideas being batted around.

Thankx for the Welcome Danny !

I'm sure I will enjoy to meet you all here !

Hello you lot... I'm a fellow Maxer from the UK. Just looking around the net to see who's out there and I found you.. My usual haunt is http://vmaxchat.yuku.com/directory Got a 98 Bike which is Silk Black at the minute but is about to get pulled apart for a winter transformation. (300 spoked back wheel with maybe a 200 front) will be interesting to see what you boys have done..

Welcome ARGO, I chat with Shaggy & the guys over there now and again.
Enjoy vmaxforum.net, there's a good bunch of dudes here too!
All maxxers, right! :biglaugh:

Hey guys, Been reading around for a little while trying to gather all the information I can. Just bought a 97 Max a couple months ago and I'm addicted. This is my first bike so I'm new to the bike scene but I'm loving every minute of it. Just thought I'd drop a line and say hi.

Hey guys, Been reading around for a little while trying to gather all the information I can. Just bought a 97 Max a couple months ago and I'm addicted. This is my first bike so I'm new to the bike scene but I'm loving every minute of it. Just thought I'd drop a line and say hi.

:party:
There ya go Silverado a multi welcome to the site from my lil special friends!

Congrats on your new purchase, we all look forward to seeing some pictures of your bike. Lots of expierence and information here! Just ask away, technical, performance, custom, the road is endless on this stretch of highway..
Is your bike bone stock:confused2:
A VMAX is a hell of a bike for your first ride! One word of advice dont push it hard on backroads, she will get upset if you force her into a turn to fast and cross her arms and refuse to make the turn.. Other than that blast away on them straight aways!

Hello you lot... I'm a fellow Maxer from the UK. Just looking around the net to see who's out there and I found you.. My usual haunt is http://vmaxchat.yuku.com/directory Got a 98 Bike which is Silk Black at the minute but is about to get pulled apart for a winter transformation. (300 spoked back wheel with maybe a 200 front) will be interesting to see what you boys have done..

Hi Argo
Welcome to the site! That forum from the UK is pretty good, well better than the idiots and cry babies over on yahoo, but you have reached the best VMAX forum!:eusa_dance:
I am running a 98 model also with an 85 engine. 300 back wheel sounds sweet, not sure about a 200 series front wheel maybe if your planning on making your bike a 2X2:rofl_200:Any Super Swampers (mudder tires) in the plans?
Hmm as far as boys go, they are over at the Booosa and ZX14 forums, they pop in here once in awhile to tell us how great and fast the tupperware bikes are but, we are all men here that ride our VMAX's with pride:clapping:

Post some pics newb's if you unsure just post "How do I post a pic"

:party:
There ya go Silverado a multi welcome to the site from my lil special friends!

Congrats on your new purchase, we all look forward to seeing some pictures of your bike. Lots of expierence and information here! Just ask away, technical, performance, custom, the road is endless on this stretch of highway..
Is your bike bone stock:confused2:
A VMAX is a hell of a bike for your first ride! One word of advice dont push it hard on backroads, she will get upset if you force her into a turn to fast and cross her arms and refuse to make the turn.. Other than that blast away on them straight aways!

I'm sure I'll be asking plenty of questions. The bike is bone stock other than Kerker slip-ons the PO put on there. I was a little intimidated by her at first but as time goes by I'm getting to know her better. I'm still a little careful in the turns but the straight aways are my new friend!

I've been a member since last year, but this is my first post. Work has kept me extremely busy the last couple of years, but i'm finally getting ready to get some down time. I currently living in Hawaii, but am getting stationed in northern California in a few months. I have a 2005 max that has been sittining in my garage wasting away for the last couple of years, I've just started getting work done on it the last few weeks, and should have it up and running this weekend(fingers crossed). Look forward to making some new friends on here and learning how to do a lot more of my own work. Anyway I gots to go, later.

very cool link Chris - thanks!

And welcome to all the new members - this place is great you'll all be boostaholics in no time :biglaugh::punk:

hi to all new guy's, i havn't been on here very long and i love it. a quick tip for new riders when going into turns while hauling ass push down hard on right grip going into right turns and the oppisite going left, a riding buddy of mine showed me this and it works great. see ya dave

hi to all new guy's, i havn't been on here very long and i love it. a quick tip for new riders when going into turns while hauling ass push down hard on right grip going into right turns and the oppisite going left, a riding buddy of mine showed me this and it works great. see ya dave

That is correct, the VMAX isnt a bike to push hard into turns trust me I have tested it to the limits and have taken mine off road at high speeds of 90MPH+ with air..

Hey folks.

That '01 Vmax I parked in my garage last night, after a virgin ride of 3 hours in the rain, is a dream come true. Been wanting one SO BADLY for a couple years, since I test-rode a new '06. It took me this long to make up my mind to trade my Harley Dyna for it, 'cause I loved that bike too, but it was a dog. And a lemon too, at the same time. This, now THIS is a real BIKE!

I'm an avid motorcyclist, no car, just bikes: Kawasaki Concours, Honda CB750, little project bobber KZ440 (finally running but not streetable yet-- damnable carbs), and now this Vmax.

I'm navigating the site for the usual first mods. Of course the seat kinda sucks but I didn't like the Corbin, so what else is out there? I saw a set of R1 calipers on a Max, is that just a bolt-on part? How much power is my stock exhaust REALLY costing me? And what are the options for the relatively poor front end handling? It's good enough but I know some of you have come up with ways to make it better. I'm really not about straight-line speed, I live to ride the twisties, so firming up the feel up front is important.

Looking forward to learning stuff here, been lurking for over a year but now I finally got my Vmax, so here I am!

Jenn in Georgia

Welcome to the site CB. There are tons of options for seats, pipes and handling issues. Cruise around here at your leisure, ask questions when you have 'em, there's a lot of friendly knowledgeable folks hanging out here who will be glad to help you out. :eusa_dance:

Welcome Jenn!

your best option for a REALLY comfortable seat is Sean Morley's Muscle Seat. His website is on the top right of this page, or you can email him at [email protected].

The R1 calipers are a straight bolt-on with an '01 I believe, but some years may require adapters - other who have done it will tell ya. The best and cheapest brakes upgrade is to swap the pads for EBC HH ones - the difference is like night and day.

I love my stock exhaust's quietness because I do a lot of miles, but a lot of people like the Kerkers for less weight and more power - bear in mind that to maximize the power appropriate jetting is required, and again Sean Morley is your man!

The poor handling is mostly a result of heavy weight, chassis and suspension flex, and average factory suspension. The most immediate upgrade to the front end is a beefier fork brace - some swear by it while others think it makes no difference.

The most important handling upgrade IMHO is the tires! Do yourself and your Max a favor and trash the OEM Dunlop or Bridgestone items for a set of Shinko T230 tires. They are inexpensive (great deal from bikebandit.com) and really good quality V-rated grippy rubber. They come in the stock sizes (110/90 x 18 & 150/90 x 15) or you can choose to go with 120/90 x 18 & 170/80 x 15 for better looks.
Personally, I went with stock front size and the 170 rear, but only because I live in FL where 90% or roads are straight. :confused2: For twisties I would stick with the original sizes.

The easiest (and cheapest) handling upgrades are to the suspension: get some better fork springs (Progressive or similar) and slightly heavier fork oil for better damping, and upgrade your rear shock absorbers - again Progressive is what most people swear by.

After that - if you're still not happy - my understanding is that the next best thing is to remove the rubber motor mounts and replace them with solid ones.
Also popular are frame braces to stiffen it, and swing arm bracing as well.

Then, talking about really big bucks now, you can swap the front end with a modern upside down forks setup from a GSXR or similar, and you can also get $$$ lighter wheels of better diameter (17" or 18") which will give you a better choice of tires, adding low profile radials which are not available in the stock wheel sizes (especially the rear wheel).

My advice is get good tires first, and at least Progressive springs for your forks. And then remember that with the shaft drive, speed changes mid-turn do have interesting results!

For the best deal on all Yamaha parts, get in touch with Gary McCoy @ Mondak Motorsports - he gives us VMF members a 20% discount and is the nicest guy to boot!

Most of all - enjoy your V-boost.. :eusa_dance:

Thank you for the very good info--I already contacted Sean about the seat.

I hear horrible things about Shinko...but surely the V-rated tires are a cut above? Never ran them before but I'll try anything once!

I'm not too upset with the suspension...yet...I wonder if a steering damper would help the "wibble-wobble" I feel in the bars and front end when the front tire hits anything like a ridge in the road or concrete seams....

Btm_Fdr here,new member .Am also one of the orig.members of RS Warrior.com.#163.('02 Warrior w/PR 110',cams ,NOS etc.)Recently acquired my 3rd Max.('90 needing a lot of TLC).Previously had a '98 & an '05.Sold the '05 about a yr'ago & couldn't stand not having a Max.Am also a longtime VMOA member #2103.The Warrior forum has a wealth of info & I am really impressed by Max info here.See Ya'll on the road.

Welcome to the VMax forum - Coffee Break, btm_fdr and breyton! :welcome_sign:

I hear horrible things about Shinko...

Where and what? I'm really happy with mine so far - about 1000 miles already.
I'm not too upset with the suspension...yet...I wonder if a steering damper would help the "wibble-wobble" I feel in the bars and front end when the front tire hits anything like a ridge in the road or concrete seams....

These are the typical symptoms of two things:

- really poor front tires (especially Dunlop Qualifiers)

- worn head bearings. These were the culprits for a high speed (115+mph) wobble that threatened to turn into a tank slapper on my '86. Since renewing them and changing to Shinkos, my bike is rock solid in a straight line.

It still feels very slightly funny going over bumps, ridges, seams and other road protrusions, but that's down to weight and geometry I think. It's just the way the max is. :confused2:

Back