Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, I'm new to the site seen this thread so I thought I should say hi and tell you a bit about myself. I live in central Pa. have been riding bikes sense I was 9(that was 22 years ago). I raced MX for a few years got a few trophies but that's all I got from my racing career (except a lot of broken bones:biglaugh:) I still have my last MX (RMZ-450) i don't ride it much any more but I can't ever see myself without a dirt bike. I mostly ride street now and have an equally good time on pavement as dirt. I have had my R1 for a few years and it's a blast to ride but not the best for long rides or commuting to work. I also have a Xl 250 it's not as much fun as the 1 but it can go anywhere which can be a plus but not very fast and horrible to take on the highway due to it can only do 70 mph. Also there isn't any mods worth doing on it so it may be leaving the fleet soon That brings me to the Vmax I just bought it 2 weekends ago for taking my wife on rides and going to work. It has been great so far I rode it 150 miles nonstop with no problem being cramped. It is easily fast enough to take on the highway and not bad for a quick trip either. I'm pretty sure it will become my go to bike for most of my riding needs. I like most of you I'm sure like to upgrade and work on stuff myself I have a good amount of bike knowledge but none on the Vmax so far. I'm sure that there is hundreds of years of experience on this forum to help me in my quest for knowledge and mods. Thanks for taking the time to read my introduction I'll be looking forward to talking to you all in the future and will be adding pictures of the Vmax when I get some taken.

:peace out bike:

Attachments

• DSCF0972 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF0972 - Copy.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 9
  • DSCF0960 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF0960 - Copy.JPG
    185.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
welcome atp51 You have picked a great bike !! If you have just a little mod monkey in ya you are going to feel right at home here :)

welcome atp51 You have picked a great bike !! If you have just a little mod monkey in ya you are going to feel right at home here :)
Thanks, my mod monkey is more like a gorilla though I just don't have enough bananas to keep it full. :rofl_200:

Hello everyone. I'm Rob, from Erie, PA and this is my second Vmax. I moved to Erie from NYC about two years ago and decided that having a brand new Road King Custom that only logged 500 miles per year wasn't a great way to manage my expenses. I sold it and looked for a bike that I thought I would enjoy, be cheap enough to not really hurt my wallet, and have character. Well the VMAX certainly fit the bill. It was actually the first bike to ever peak my interest back in High School when they first came out, so it drew me in right away. I found a 94 in yellow owned by an older gentleman who was an engineer. He took extremely good care of it and it looked brand new. I loved it, especially after I got used to the color. I was about to start tackling the handling upgrades and got distracted by what seemed like a million articles extolling the amazingness (I know not a word) of the Triumph Speed Triple. So I sold my perfect Vmax for about what I paid and got the Speedy. Now the Speedy was just as awesome as everyone claimed it was, but it just wasnt for me. I felt like a bear on a tricycle on it and even though it wasnt a sportbike it felt too much like one for me. It sounded awesome and got a million compliments - oh and it handled like a dream - but it just wasnt for me. So I got rid of it and went back to a Harley - a 2008 Super Glide Custom with a million extras on it and an incredible deal. It was everything I remebered and should have been great. I mean Super Glides are quicker than Road Kings, handle nicely, are comfortable, blah blah. But I was ruined for Harleys. After having a Vmax and a Speed Triple in between I just couldnt get that feeling back. Plus I'm not a "bike night at the beaver dam" kinda guy, so the whole "Harley Image" thing was wasted on me. I got ride of it and started looking for something I would actually keep and ride (1000 miles on the Road King in 2 yrs, 2000 miles on the VMax in 3 months, 500 miles on the Speedy in 3 months, umm 75 miles on the Super Glide in 6 months). So I looked for a Moto Guzzi Griso and came across my bike for the next decade, the one I just picked up on Saturday in Maryland. A 2000 Vmax, 10K miles, pretty stick. I've already put about 500 miles on it since I got back, and I'm loving it. I had Intiminators put it before I picked it up (love em) and am doing the Furbur Fix next week. I'm trying to decide between Kosman Radial rim adaptation or getting a better exhaust. leaning to the exhaust. Prolly going to go with UFO, may Holeshot or Kerker though. I like the 4-2. Sorry for the word explosion but I was bored. Anyway thanks and ride safe.

Hey Rob. I had a s3 for the beginning of this years and loved it as well, but sold it. the max is still in my stable.

also look into marks exhaust if you like 4-2. welcome as well.

Hi, my name is Dave (AKA Grumpy, SpecOps-13, SpecOps13, SpecOps13-4517 (VMOA). I've owned 36 bikes in my life. the only one that was as much fun as my 94 Max was an XJ-1100 with YICS Induction. It peaked out at 147 with 1 up and 142 with 2.

I spend a lot of my time at ar15.com, in the Rimfire and Pistol Caliber Forum. I do testing on a many of the new 22 conversions and dedicated uppers there. I've built 20ish AR-15's in other calibers. Come check things out if your interested. I'm SpecOps-13 there.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=3&f=15

I've been fighting back and other injuries from 3, Cage (4 wheel wrecks). A 16 YO, 17 YO and an 83 YO have totaled 3 vehicles I was driving. 2 rear end and one head on. I received a Titanium Plate and 6 screws in my right foot from the last one.

I used to keep track of the miles I had been on bikes but quit after 300,000. Need for extreme speed in a hurry motivated my purchase of a VMax 4 years ago.

I've been fighting a battery, regulator, Ethinol, wobble and a bad differential to get to where I am able to ride the Max in comfort. There are a lot of great people on VMax's who have helped me get there.

Ride Safe , All.
Dave

Great to see you here Grumpy - I still want to go shooting with you up at Hernando. I bought a Marlin XL7 30.06 to replace my broken Enfield. Kicks like a freakin mule.:biglaugh:

Thanx CaptainKyle.

richwrench: Yes, If it's still open when we make it. I'm worried about the condo built right on top of it. I haven't been there in a while. it was windy and rainy and cold forever. Now, it''ll just be plain hot...

Dave

Hi, my name is Doug and after wanting and admiring the vmax for 25 years I finally got one last weekend. It's a used 94 mostly stock except for the kerker slip ons, vboost sw for activation at 3k RPM and external radiator fan control. I need to replace the seals on the front forks and have found a lot of great info.

Thanks to all the contributors on this website to making it so useful, I've learned a lot just browsing the site.

Doug

I purchased a 2004 Vmax last month, sweet bike, makes my '83 Magna feel like a red headed step child. Took it for a 550 mile ride over the Memorial day weekend and enjoyed every minute. My bike is all stock with engine guards, hwy pegs and a sissybar. Going to install clear turn signal lenses and colored bulbs next week, and LED's later as I get the money.

Welcome guys!

You've just found the best Vmax resource this side of the interweb! Lots of good people here, and always happy to help.

Now watch out for the mod monkey, once he gets hold of you your wallet will suffer...

Hey everyone, I figured that I should finally come say hi. I've been a member for about a year, just watching and learning. There sure is a lot of good info on this site. All of the questions that i've had so far, have already been answered several times in previous posts.

I found my 07 vmax last may in Danbury CT. It was a carry over, and had 1 mile on it when it was dropped off at my front door. I like this bike so much that I think my girlfriend has become jealous of it! I should have bought one of these years ago!

The mods I have done so far, are a sportmax seat, engine guards, factory backrest, instrument cowl, and a black/silver stripe airbox cover. A new marks exhaust just found its way to my house yesterday. I'll try to post some before and after photos in the next couple days. Thanks for all the great information!

Last edited:
Hello everyone, I'm Tony from Kansas City, MO. I first rode an 85 Vmax in 1989 while living in Salt Lake City, UT. I was 20 at the time and fell in love immediately. Unfortunately it took 20 yrs before I actually owned one of my own. I just recently purchased a white 2002 vmax that is stock except for a backrest and aftermarket shocks. I don't know if this site is good for me or my wallet because of all the step by step instruction and help available for mods! I have some issues with running hot during slow speeds and in traffic that I have found a lot of useful information on this site to correct it... and then I will start working on the mods!

Welcome to the forum!!! Good luck caging the mod monkey lol Hey are you coming to Topeka this coming weekend?

I can't wait to be there!! Been planning on it for a couple of months. I won't be there until Sunday due to work but I will be there.

Hi~~~~

I am Randi and have a 2009 Gen 2. I grew up on bikes when I took my Brothers mini bike and rode it through the woods when I was little. When I was older, Dad bought mine own...

In college I had a 1985 Gen 1. I sold it after getting married and having two wonderful children. Later I owned a few dirt bikes and several Harley's. Now I own the bike of "light speed."

Here are some photos of my life............:clapping:

http://picasaweb.google.com/MsRandiGalves

IMG_1658.JPG

Checked out the assembly pics... how sweet that must have been to be there for the build-out!

Welcome to the Forum. :)

--

Back