Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello everyone my name is Shawn i have had my 1985 Yamaha v-max1200 for 2months now..love it and just repainted it..sweet

G'day Shawn, I too am a fairly new member... only recently started pestering everyone with questions. I have an 88 vmax which I bought Sept last year. Previous to that I had a VTR1000 Firestorm which I never felt 100% comfortable with, though there's no looking back now - Love the vmax, and love that every man and his dog doesn't own one like the HD fad. Prefer to ride a 'Hardly Davidson with power and style' then follow the leader....
To all other members "HI from Dean"...

Last edited:
new to da club

hello everyone .. just bought me a 92 vmax with 25k Km's on it. BTW, I am in Sydney Australia. Been reading this forum for a week now and wow you guys are awesome .. Good to have joined finally.
Rahul

Welcome to the new guys!!!!:clapping:

You won't meet a finer bunch anywhere:eusa_dance:

Why they let me stay I'll never know......

Slight mods... custom tail end - single seat, custom rear sets, braided lines, flat bars, more to come... watch this space!!!
Rahuld - I too am in Sydney... if you ever want to go for a 'vmax ride' let me know... I think there's a few from Sydney on here... I'm in Appin, plenty of great rides around here including macquarie pass....

Hi guys, new owner of a 2005 Vmax with 10100 miles on her. Have had her for a couple of weeks and am having a blast driving! Only mod is po added a switch to engage the vboost at 3500 rpm.
Lots of good info on this forum.

welcome! yes, its called tboost and its fun, aint it!

Well,..here I am.:biglaugh: New guy on the block. I started riding when I was 12 and have owned about 30 different bikes over the years. Dont know a whole lot on the vmax,...but am trying to buy my uncles bike. He bought it new in 1985 and is in as new condition.38000 kilometers on it. Ya,....I'm from canada. He wants $4200 , and I'm selling my Harley sportster to get the cash. I bought it new in 1995 as an 883 and have since pumped it up to 1200cc with 10.5to1 and screamin eagle cams,ect,ect...Bike runs 12.7 in the 1/4 wich is a pretty good time for such an primitve engine desighn"single crank pin"Any ways,..I'm wanting something more refined and better handling.I also got tired of the whole Harley image that your stuck with if you own one.I hate the "BOBBER thing" I cant understand why any one in their right mind would buy a brand new Harley,..take it home,..chop it up with a hack saw and paint it flat black with a rattle can:ummm: I am a professional bodyman and I could never bring my self to butchering any bike like that. Well I'll get off my soap box now. I figured the only thing I would do to the Max is probibly change the mufflers and put some growly ones on. I'm done wrenching and I just want to ride now. It will sure be a treat to blast down the highway at 130kms without feeling like I'm straped to a buzz saw on steriods. Sooo,..here I am,..X Harley rider,.. looking for change.:biglaugh:

Welcome to the new Vmax enthusiasts! You have come to the number one spot on the web for all things Vmax, from technical knowledge to great get togethers www.vmaxforum.net has it all!
Ripinanroarin - Glad to have your experiance and we like pictures of your ride when you can shoot some. Changing up your exhaust will probably lead you to Supertrapps but there is plenty of information in the exhaust section. Ask away if you don't find what your looking for.

Attachments

• raptimharley 009.jpg
    raptimharley 009.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 15
  • raptimharley 015.jpg
    raptimharley 015.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 13
  • vmax.jpg
    vmax.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 17
Hi guys. I've owned my maroon '85 VMAX since new ~ specifically, that's 25 years + one day (( April 30, 1985, to be exact )). 1985 was, of course, the first year Yamaha made 'em.

I've requested that they bury it with me in my grave. :biglaugh:

Last edited:
Hi,

I bought a Vmax 2 days ago, a 97, kerker exhaust, with 3900 miles on it. I'm an intermediate rider, having ridden for 2+ years (22k miles) on an underpowered vulcan 500. Last year a friend let me ride his Vmax and I've had the bug ever since. I took a day off work on friday, drove 600 miles round trip to purchase the bike, put it inside a full-sized cargo van. It was a pain loading and unloading, way more heavy than my last ride!

I really enjoyed working on my last bike nothing too serious (oil, brakes, tires, valve adjustments, etc), and hope to do some work on vmax. First off will be a new rear tire and brake pads. I haven't even experienced the V-boost (?) yet, figuring I'd better sort the braking before getting too crazy!

I'm hoping to learn alot from the experienced folks on this site.

Greg

welcome aboard,you'll be doing alot of rear tires! and more with all the knowledge you find here!

Welcome Greg.

Get yourself some EBC HH brake pads (especially for the fronts) as they are the best and make quite a difference.

For the rear tire, your best bet is a Shinko T230 Tourmaster - they are really cheap and really stick to the road. You have size choices - OEM is 150/90-15, or you could go fatter with a 170/80-15 - both fit just fine.
A bit more expensive but will last longer - is the Metzeler ME880 Marathon. Quite a few people like this one, but it is only H-rated and the Max asks for a V rating (149mph)

Whatever you do stay away from the Dunlops (should be renamed Dunsoaps) and the Bridgestones aren't that much better.

Hi,

I bought a Vmax 2 days ago, a 97 with 3900 miles on it.
Greg

Wow. If my math is right that's only 300 miles per year. I'm not sure it's even broken in. :biglaugh:

I've got 50,000 on my '85 and it should be more like 100,000 but I've gotten distracted with other hobbies.

Enjoy your VMax ... mine has been very good to me.

Back