Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone, new vmax owner checking in. Picked up my 99 VMax about 2 months ago, just had a minor incident and had to lay the bike down (only going 30mph, no serious damage and I walked away from it) and now i'm looking for options to spend the insurance money on something other than OEM :)
Thanks for all the posts, been a great read so far and i'm looking to learn more.

Hi, guys, I'm brand new to this forum, so haven't got a clue how to navigate around. Hopefully someone can help me out with
a question. I've just sold a FZX750 (baby max) and am bidding on a V Max on Ebay, the owner does'nt know if it's a full power version, all he knows
is that is from North America, is there a definitive way of finding out?

Many thanks,

David

Lincoln,
England

Heya and welcome. If it's a North America model, it's defo full power. They never got anything else there.

Why don't you contact our friend here Kyle Clegg - he just started a business helping out people purchasing bikes here and shipping abroad. His handle here is CaptainKyle, and he's one really helpful and trustworthy guy.

Thanks for your advice, lok forward to spending time stripping and rebuilding a V Max, this will be my 3rd project bike. So will be asking lots of questions and look forwards to spending time on this site.

Cheers,

David

Wanted to say hello to everyone. Long time Vmax rider. Purchased my bike new in 91 (90 Max) as my first street bike. Have been putting on a few options like a windscreen and a fork brace and decided to join here. My OEM fork brace has developed a crack between the inner and outer part of one of the front bolt holes. Figured I would go after market instead of a new OEM. With the current EURO exchange rate I picked up a MEK forkbrace and extra long "stock lookin'" windscreen.

black88mx6: Welcome to VMF, I imagine you'll be able to help a lot of us with our questions after all the years VMaxing you have.

20K or so, looking to update the seat, not sure when it got so uncomfortable!

Had an '85 'in the day' and never remember being uncomfortable, now I can't even look at a stock seat without getting a sore ass!! :biglaugh: It just happens!

Just installed a Maxgasser seat and love it!! It'd be worth your time to check them out. http://www.maxgasser.com/

I am new here like to say hi . Chuck told me about vmaxforum.MY Name is BILL everybody calls me wildbill .just checking stuff out kind of computer stupid but ill try anything once:bang head: I bought a 98 vmax not long ago.its got a shake at 45 one handed bad.and at 115 dont no what to do with it:confused2:put a fork brace on it didnt help i herd head bearing not sure.anyway hi to everyone.LOVE THE VMAX

I am new here like to say hi . Chuck told me about vmaxforum.MY Name is BILL everybody calls me wildbill .just checking stuff out kind of computer stupid but ill try anything once:bang head: I bought a 98 vmax not long ago.its got a shake at 45 one handed bad.and at 115 dont no what to do with it:confused2:put a fork brace on it didnt help i herd head bearing not sure.anyway hi to everyone.LOVE THE VMAX

Heya. Ya for the headshakes there are two MAIN culprits:

1. head bearings. First adjust (search for the 'bounce test' here), then if it doesn't help check the bearings and if shot replace them.

2. tires. Worn (esp. cupped) front tires are more often than not responsible for the low speed shake (as well as loose head bearings). Pressures are also important, a lot of people find that slightly higher pressures help.

Then there's a lot more to it, but if the two above are within spec it's usually a lot better!

Tires choices: Shinko T230 Tourmaster is very cheap and very grippy, as well as being V-rated. Metzeler ME880 is more expensive and lasts longer, not quite as sticky though and only H-rated.
Dunlop are pants (read soap). Bridgestones aren't much better.

Welcome Bill!

Front end wobble, whether lo or hi speed, is a difficult thing to wrestle with. The lo speed, or 'decel wobble' can usually be remedied, or at least minimized, by snugging up the steering head bearings if it fails the 'bounce test' and a front tire replacement.

There are several choices for a front tire, our personal favorite is the Metzler ME33, although some bikes like them and some don't.

All we can say on the hi speed wobble is, be careful with it! It can turn into a full blown tank slapper very quickly.

We'll be talking! :biglaugh:

Someone pls send that monkey to some medical experimental lab! :biglaugh:

Dale #2592

Newbie Here

Just purchased my 07 Vmax on May 7, 2010. Glad to find this site, appears to have a lot of good info.

Attachments

• vmax_0.JPG
    vmax_0.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 16
  • vmax_1.JPG
    vmax_1.JPG
    152.8 KB · Views: 19
  • vmax_2.JPG
    vmax_2.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 12
Re: Newbie Here

Sweet lookin' bike, welcome!

This is the best vmax resource bar none. We got the answers, we got the top people, and unfortunately we also have hordes of mod monkeys who'll get the last coin outa your wallet to make your ride even sweeter.

Don't say I didn't warn you! LOL

Re: Newbie Here

Just purchased my 07 Vmax on May 7, 2010. Glad to find this site, appears to have a lot of good info.
Welcome! I saw your post over on the Yahoo group, sweet looking '07!
Take a look around and you'll find a ton of information for everything Vmax. In case you don't see what you need, just ask, there is a wealth of experience here, we don't mind getting our keyboards a little greasy! :thumbs up:

Nat here...

have an '85 that sat in a barn for 7 years before i bought it, i rode it for one season before having to store it for 3 years when i moved out of state. it had developed the idle problem and now that the max has moved to be with me i am fighting to resolve that problem so i can get it back on the street. got mad at the carbs after hours of cleaning which did not fix the problem, so yesterday i started to paint it instead... at least it will look nice sitting in the garage...

Back