Are you a new member? Come here and say hi!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive wanted one since i first saw one and the stars finnaly lined up and i got my 89 v-max the other day it was a barn find so its currently at the local shop getting worked over "carbs cleaned and re synced tank coated new tires oil change " pretty much the works. im glad i found this sight there is very little info out there. I will post pics as they are available

Moose

Re: Hey Up?

Dos Equis Six was my call sign in Afghanistan I was an MRAP PSD team Leader. After nearly 25 years I finaly got my Vmax! I bought my new 88 off Craigslist for a good price, I have owned alot of bikes, for the past 3 years I have been hammering around on an old 83 CB900 supersport that I traded up from a broken in half Mercedes 240D, which I traded for a 22 pistol.

I came back to florida to find my wife of 12 years having a midlife crises and dating some douchebag she knew in HS. I moved out and happy to be free again.

I enjoy old bikes, trucks, datsuns, Im not a expert on anything my plan is to read the forum and learn about the bike.

SO far im impressed with the power, mines a bit bouncy im wondering if tires are out of round? I think its running a bit rich the previous owner stated he had it rejetted but its got factory pipes that he drilled out the baffles its got a deep throaty sound not sure if i like it but its makes it visible. The bike has 9600 miles on it.

Well maybe you're the Max that've been trying to hunt down since April. There's another Maxer (1200cc) ) who lives in our area. I've been trying to get a firm hookup with him as well. Anyways, welcome to the forum! I think this is a great bunch:punk:--they're always willing to help at a moment's notice. The more you frequent and/or participate in the threads, the more I think you will enjoy the gang as well.

Bought a 2001 carbon fiber 2 weeks ago. So far it is the best bike I've owned. I bought it with 4500 original miles and the carbs were just rebuilt. I've put a little over 200 miles on it so far and it's been flawless. I'm researching suspension and braking mods, and I would like to here that Vmax growl but don't want to mess up the perfect tune and ridability the bike currently has. I am enjoying the site and appreciate all the knowledge found here.

Hey All! I've been pirating information off here for a month, thought I'd best join.
I
lll thank you all for the great information. I picked up a 86 V-Max 18k miles, very stock and pretty good shape. Drove her 120 miles home from where I bought her. Since then, I replace fork seals, painted it a bright yellow, new plugs and painted the motor.

My current scare is messing with those carbs. Complicated looking buggers. I'll try cleaning the air bleeds as described in Vmax outlaw but taking out those slides and diaphragms making me uncomfortable. It's quite rough running at idle at low speed to idle once it is warmed up to very hot. Mid range comes on like a freight train all the way to high rpms.

It's very soft front on it too. very lumpy turning side to side when I had the forks off. I guess the bearing are gone too. I'm not sure If I dare to tackle that. thots?

For the winter months, the stock signals, rear fender and front and rear suspension is getting lowered, and got a nice stencil of St Michaels that I'm putting on the tank cover on an offset.

Should be a fun winter project. But for right now, I'm going to get my riding in! Be Safe and Be Well! Craig

Hi,

My name is Josh. I'm 29 years old and I live in the foothills of the blue ridge mountains in NC.
I just bought my first vmax 2 weeks ago. She is a '94 painted flat black, with a stage 3 jet kit, sasy vboost controller, Dale Walker Holeshot 4-2 exhaust, and aftermarket clutch to name my favorite mods. I was riding a Honda Shadow before Betty and I still have her for sale if anyone has a friend interested in a smaller calmer cruiser that gets 60 mpg.
I don't know exactly how the forum works, but I do have a couple of questions.

I am reading a lot of different opinions on the hid headlight matter. I think I will stick with just an aftermarket brighter bulb. Can anyone recommend one? Is our bulb an h3 or an h4?

Also, I want to purchase a steering stabilizer. Any recommendations?

What is the leading cause of front end wobble at high speeds?

Where do I find the responses to my questions?

Thank you all.

Josh

Welcome Josh , FYI , there will be more than a few of us at the Dragon next week for the annual get together from FL ., GA ., N.C., KY . , etc.

Check out some old threads , all your answers are there , or wait & post at the various locations. Front end wobble could be wheels & tires, forks , steering head bearings ...... Bring it to the Dragon & someone will probably want to fix it before you leave. 8/25-8/28 . See Ya :punk:

Hi,

My name is Josh. I'm 29 years old and I live in the foothills of the blue ridge mountains in NC.
I just bought my first vmax 2 weeks ago. She is a '94 painted flat black, with a stage 3 jet kit, sasy vboost controller, Dale Walker Holeshot 4-2 exhaust, and aftermarket clutch to name my favorite mods. I was riding a Honda Shadow before Betty and I still have her for sale if anyone has a friend interested in a smaller calmer cruiser that gets 60 mpg.
I don't know exactly how the forum works, but I do have a couple of questions.

I am reading a lot of different opinions on the hid headlight matter. I think I will stick with just an aftermarket brighter bulb. Can anyone recommend one? Is our bulb an h3 or an h4?

Also, I want to purchase a steering stabilizer. Any recommendations?

What is the leading cause of front end wobble at high speeds?

Where do I find the responses to my questions?

Thank you all.

Josh

Hi Josh,

Congrats on owning of the best bikes ever made!!! You can find answers to all your questions in this forum. Just about every question has been asked and answered on here.

Best of luck......

Hello all. I am new to the board but not new to motorcycling. I am currently searching for the perfect new (to me) V-Max. It will be my first although I have been in love with the V-max since I was about 8 years old. In fact, the V-Max is why I love motorcycles in general. I can't wait for the day I ride my first max home.

On that note, if you have a low mileage '93+ max for sale please let me know.

Hello all. I am new to the board but not new to motorcycling. I am currently searching for the perfect new (to me) V-Max. It will be my first although I have been in love with the V-max since I was about 8 years old. In fact, the V-Max is why I love motorcycles in general. I can't wait for the day I ride my first max home.

Check the for sale threads here and you can also give RMSportmax.com a call to speak with John. He has over 20 vmax's in stock for sale and he will customize the color for you too. Craigslist is another good avenue too.

2000 vmax with 45xx miles http://www.vmoa.net/xoops/modules/catads/adsitem.php?ads_id=1657

Sweet one here http://greenville.craigslist.org/mcy/2536072585.html

Hi all! I?m a new member from Finland and sure glad to find such a forum like this. Never before seen a place where you can find an answer to pretty much everything you can imagine. Our driving season is over quite soon (damn winter coming...) and already I got a lot of ideas what to do in the carage during those winter days. Probably a quicshifter and a little deeper sound are the first ones to take care of. I have my Max parts at the paint shop so my gallery will be done after a week or so. Good luck to everyone and be carefull out there! -ilkka-

welcome the forum beniah1, tg77th, JoshTheCake, triver525, and ilkka; as well as to all the other's i've missed.

Hi, I'm from country South Australia. So I sold my Ducati to get something more comfortable but the dilemma was cruisers are so slow. Then my wife spies a Vmax, I ride it, I must have one but not that one. So a month or so later I've bought one an '89 which should arrive next week. Next step, customize. Thanks to what I've read in this forum so far Sean is getting a 6 pot brake upgrade ready to ship to me and Rick is making me a seat. I want forward controls and the pillion insists on a backrest to keep her in place when the boost kicks in. Are there any Aussie members who know where I can get these items here at home as freight from the States is killing my budget and I just don't have time to make stuff.
Anyway that's me and where I am, hope to meet a heap of other "Mad" Maxers on this site.
Cheers NM

Step away for a few days and everyone drops by! Welcome all! Don't be strangers, remember lurkers don't have many friends and their mothers wear army boots...

Fascinating how fast the monkey gets his teeth into you once you put a vmax in the shed; look forward to what you all come up with.

Howdy, new guy here. I've had my VMAX since I rode it off the showroom floor. Had my first kid in 95 and it's been pretty much put up since. He's 16 now so we dug it out of the garage to get it back on the road, lots to do. I intended to sell it when I got it going, but now I'm thinking, what would I get instead?? I've learned a ton already on the site, thanks to all you great contributors!

triver525

Look under crazy craigslist I think was the thread for some of what you want.

Hey guys, just joined the forum and already wore out the search button going back on old threads and getting all kinds of ideas. :biglaugh:
Well Max needs a little bit of work like cleaning the carbs and seals for the forks but overall a pretty nice bike.
Hope ya'll put up with me and my silly questions. :confused2:

welcome to forum mumbles. ask away. the guys here always answer regardless. sh!t, i've asked a question that been asked many times and the guys didn't make me feel dumb for asking it. there's a lot of information here and sometimes if you don't seed the search feature with just right words, it'll come up empty. Hit the " How To and FAQ" section first, that's a good place to start. And then get into the "Technical 85 -07" section--a lot of good stuff has been stickied so they'll be list first.

Back