Are you hovering???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only 4 gallon tank? 680lbs? 200+ HP? First mod will need to be a bigger gas tank. This puppy will pop the low fuel light at 75 miles.

The damn thing better be fast and handle well! I sold my 99 last thursday 4 $5300...with 11K miles, i loved it, didn't wanna sell it, but had to so i could buy the new one. Then i heard talk of it being 16, 17, 18, 19,20K and was like no hell no, not gonna throw that kinda money down on a 1st year bike so i went out and threw down 3K on an 01 FZ1 that's gonna last me through the year, and a good part of next, and when i find a left over Vmax for about 14.5 i'll buy it, that is if it gets good reviews. Only time will tell.

The damn thing better be fast and handle well! I sold my 99 last thursday 4 $5300...with 11K miles, i loved it, didn't wanna sell it, but had to so i could buy the new one. Then i heard talk of it being 16, 17, 18, 19,20K and was like no hell no, not gonna throw that kinda money down on a 1st year bike so i went out and threw down 3K on an 01 FZ1 that's gonna last me through the year, and a good part of next, and when i find a left over Vmax for about 14.5 i'll buy it, that is if it gets good reviews. Only time will tell.
My bet is after the initial "rush" to buy Star/Yamaha will be discounting to move them. My 2004 Aprilia was a 1 of 200 made that retailed for just under $20k. I bought mine new in 2005 for under $15k. Good things come to those that wait.

$17,999 translates to $25,000 with the deal markup due t0 the excitement.

Just remember what happened to the Honda Rune. A decent bike that they ridiculously marked up. Now the dealers are stuck with them by the boatloads. You can find brand new ones for $13K
On the auto front, Ford T-Bird when they brought it back and marked up the name to the tune of $34K, they killed it.
The RX7 they priced out of reach of all the loyalists that had the older versions..dead on the vine.
They can kill the bike off if they make it out of our reach. Hopefully they'll make it suffucient quantities and not turn off the customer base.

If not there will be plenty of salvage titles out there from all the wrecks LOL

Just remember what happened to the Honda Rune. A decent bike that they ridiculously marked up. Now the dealers are stuck with them by the boatloads. You can find brand new ones for $13K
On the auto front, Ford T-Bird when they brought it back and marked up the name to the tune of $34K, they killed it.
The RX7 they priced out of reach of all the loyalists that had the older versions..dead on the vine.
They can kill the bike off if they make it out of our reach. Hopefully they'll make it suffucient quantities and not turn off the customer base.

If not there will be plenty of salvage titles out there from all the wrecks LOL
Exactly my thoughts. Once the hype is gone prices will come down. Unfortunately that usually signals the beginning of the end. I would love to add one to my stable but at $18k it won't happen this year. $18k opens the door to some very exoctic machines. Or a ZX14/Busa turbo and $$ left for new rubber.

speaking of busa's and the zx14. At dyno bike night last night a brand new 'busa slightly tweaked did 155 rwhp whereas the damn zx14 did 178!

I didn't know a zx14 could do that..it only had a pipe and a jet job.

I really doubt this is correct. If people are going in dropping off $1,000 checks expecting to pay only the balance of list price (an additional $17,000), and then get blindsided by additional dealer markup, it will be really ugly for Yamaha. I suspect the bikes will sell for list, and not a penny more.

The Vmax will be a special order only with a 1000.00 down and limited to 2500 units in the states. maybe hard to find a used one.

I just remember the massive markups that hit the Miata, the Supra Twin Turbo, the Viper in their first years..all "limited edition", all marked-up 50-75%.
When I bought my V65 in '83 they wanted $3299, the dealers wanted $4899 with a deposit to hold one. I wanted black but they said I had no choice.
I waited until the new model year and bought it for $2899 [$500]rebate.

All dealers do it. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they don't. As previously posted, they did it with the Rune.
First year models are never truly polished products. It's the first batch through the new tooling.

Exactly my thoughts. Once the hype is gone prices will come down. Unfortunately that usually signals the beginning of the end. I would love to add one to my stable but at $18k it won't happen this year. $18k opens the door to some very exoctic machines. Or a ZX14/Busa turbo and $$ left for new rubber.

yes and no... prices arnt created like that. When you create an all new product you have to cover tooling which is very expnsive. The old bike was way way past its cost rise level...damn that thing was costing them nothin to make.

But this new bike has a lot of things to pay for and cover in its cost work up. its part of the reason they are looking for guaranteed orders.... Cost will go down a bit but its usually off set by materials cost rises....aluminum being one thats rising now....

here is what will really happen:
They sell out all 2009 models in the next few weeks...and start booking the 2010 models soo after that....with a price INCREASE of 1500 bucks....my guess nothing to go by here......

The examples of product terminations everyone is quoting are mitigated by extenuating circumstances... The rune was always an exotic and im told was only meant to be "built to order"... and well the RX7 never died, it just died in the US as 2 door coups began to fall out of favor in a mini baby boom of the early 90s..... it sold for a long time in other markets at much higher prices...

I could give you opposite examples.... Porsche lowered its prices in the 80s and nearly lost its market....exclusivity.. They raised all their prices and recovered their sales !... its a famous study in business school.. so is the HD turn around which was the result of marketing a brand better to a market segment that wasn't the traditional buyer (sound familiar?).. there were plenty of Harley guys freaking out about expensive bikes and "abandoning their traditional buyer" etc etc... but look at what happened? they are a 13billion dollar company now.... and prices continue to rise....

we will all... ALL ...be buying this bike used anyway.... all you guys who have your money in the family home and in your kids future, all the right places, will get one too....through a good down payment and a loan or though the used bike market..... no big deal... :eclipsee_gold_cup:

yes and no... prices arnt created like that. When you create an all new product you have to cover tooling which is very expnsive. The old bike was way way past its cost rise level...damn that thing was costing them nothin to make.

But this new bike has a lot of things to pay for and cover in its cost work up. its part of the reason they are looking for guaranteed orders.... Cost will go down a bit but its usually off set by materials cost rises....aluminum being one thats rising now....

here is what will really happen:
They sell out all 2009 models in the next few weeks...and start booking the 2010 models soo after that....with a price INCREASE of 1500 bucks....my guess nothing to go by here......

The examples of product terminations everyone is quoting are mitigated by extenuating circumstances... The rune was always an exotic and im told was only meant to be "built to order"... and well the RX7 never died, it just died in the US as 2 door coups began to fall out of favor in a mini baby boom of the early 90s..... it sold for a long time in other markets at much higher prices...

I could give you opposite examples.... Porsche lowered its prices in the 80s and nearly lost its market....exclusivity.. They raised all their prices and recovered their sales !... its a famous study in business school.. so is the HD turn around which was the result of marketing a brand better to a market segment that wasn't the traditional buyer (sound familiar?).. there were plenty of Harley guys freaking out about expensive bikes and "abandoning their traditional buyer" etc etc... but look at what happened? they are a 13billion dollar company now.... and prices continue to rise....

we will all... ALL ...be buying this bike used anyway.... all you guys who have your money in the family home and in your kids future, all the right places, will get one too....through a good down payment and a loan or though the used bike market..... no big deal... :eclipsee_gold_cup:

Very well stated RJ. ;)

- john

Back