Back fire in air box

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Carlyle

Reaction score
:rocket bike:

G'DAY to all i am riding again after a long dry spell so i went to the MAX & bought one best thing i have done fer my self in long time. Bike goes like a "RAPED APE" the all over power in all ranges on it are great fun to play with Tourque to spare.

Problems: Back fire in air box & Cure if any one knows also already run high test no octane boost yet.

Tom Carlyle said:
:rocket bike:

G'DAY to all i am riding again after a long dry spell so i went to the MAX & bought one best thing i have done fer my self in long time. Bike goes like a "RAPED APE" the all over power in all ranges on it are great fun to play with Tourque to spare.

Problems: Back fire in air box & Cure if any one knows also already run high test no octane boost yet.
Congratulations, you've just bought a bike that is a pleasure to own and ride.
I assume your bike is stock with no major engine modifications, use the lowest octane you can find! the bike does not do well with higher octane!
The back firing from the air box is an indication that your bike is tuned perfectly! remember the bike has a carburetor not fuel injectors so until it get wormed up it will fart from the carbs , actually if it doesn't do that when cold, its probably running rich.
make sure the bike is warmed up before getting hard on it.
My bike does exactly that ( fart from the carbs when cold) and will always do that when in perfect tune.
warm the bike and go enjoy:eusa_dance:
Fuel injector equipped bikes and cars tend to run smooth even when cold due to an automatic fuel enrichment system.

Last edited:
firefly said:
Congratulations, you've just bought a bike that is a pleasure to own and ride.
I assume your bike is stock with no major engine modifications, use the lowest octane you can find! the bike does not do well with higher octane!
The back firing from the air box is an indication that your bike is tuned perfectly! remember the bike has a carburetor not fuel injectors so until it get wormed up it will fart from the carbs , actually if it doesn't do that when cold, its probably running rich.
make sure the bike is warmed up before getting hard on it.
My bike does exactly that ( fart from the carbs when cold) and will always do that when in perfect tune.
warm the bike and go enjoy:eusa_dance:
Fuel injector equipped bikes and cars tend to run smooth even when cold due to an automatic fuel enrichment system.

I disagree. You probably have a plugged passage behind one of your A/F screws. Do a net search for a procedure called the "Shotgun" which is the technique for fixing this malady.

one2dmax said:
I disagree. You probably have a plugged passage behind one of your A/F screws. Do a net search for a procedure called the "Shotgun" which is the technique for fixing this malady.
So Sean you really think so, My bike did that from the time it was new so does that means I'll have to do the shot gun cleaning? I am sure you have much more experience than me so I'll take your word and do it.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Back