back wheel issue

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROB06

Reaction score
received a call from a dealer today, im getting another new tire for the back, and he said that when he spins the wheel, it moves up and down approx 1/8" to 1/4":hmmm: is this alot of movement or is this normal?. will this hurt anything? or will it be a big problem at little more then legal speeds?:confused2:

Hmm, I don't think it should move at all. I would make sure if it's the wheel or tire mounting. Did he balance it? It could be a bad tire or out-of-round rim?

Mark

ok, now im really confused:ummm: , he just called back and said that when he got the tire on and went to spin balance it, that it was dead nuts zero. so i wonder if everything will be ok,or later , if ever,that ill have bearing issues:confused2:

Don't worry about it, I would suggest the installation of the tire on the machine more so than the wheel.
I used to do tires for Goodyear for years, and it is common to get multiple reading on the same wheel without removing it from the balancer.

there is "slop" in the transmission which allows rotational movement (around and around). There shouldn't really be any "axial" movement (or side to side).

Sean

OK, not meaning to beat a dead horse ,but, i want to make sure i got this right, as long as the wheel and tire together, can be spin balanced to a normal acceptable range(whatever that range might be)it don't matter if the wheel moves up and down 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch, when you spin just the wheel alone on the balancer (minus the tire)

are you moving it to a 90 degree to it't normal rotation? If so then that's not normal. However, by doing it on the balancer you are not loading the bearings which will have some play in them until they are snugged to the bike. The place to check is when it is bolted in place on the bike (with or without a tire).

I haven't balanced a rear tire in over 20 years. Of course most aren't on my bike long enough to worry about it. if you tend to ride conservitavely and get 8000+ on a rear tire then balancing would be fine.

Sean

I haven't balanced a rear tire in over 20 years. Of course most aren't on my bike long enough to worry about it. if you tend to ride conservitavely and get 8000+ on a rear tire then balancing would be fine.

Sean

Same here... Both my bikes aren't balanced... The Max has pushed 130+ with no noticable shimmy!:thumbs up:

Back