Baffling carb issues....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Grimmie, I'm leaning towards an ignition issue at the moment either plugs and or wires. Unfortunately today was the first chance I had to try to score a new set of plugs and the place I went to was out of stock of the NGK's these bikes take and they didn't sell another equal brand, they did expect a shipment late this afternoon or tomorrow.
On the wires, I assume you purchased several feet of a decent igniton wire and cut 4 pieces to the lengths you needed?

I ended up buying a set of accel 7mm high performance wires for a V8 engine. Cut them to length. These wires have the standard plug boot so they require the screw-on nipple for the plug. The standard NGK plugs do not have the screw-on nipple, so bought the cheapest set of plugs I could get that had the nipples on them. I removed the nipples from those plugs and put them on the standard NGK plugs. Now when I change plugs I just remove the nipple from the old plugs and put them on the new plugs.

SpecOps13, I totally agree that the stock configuration of triggering the fan is way too late and if you're stuck in stop n go traffic on a hot day the fan runs constantly trying desparetly to bring down the temp rather then coming on sooner and not allowing the bike to get to "core meltdown stage" before coming on.
However I know on my bike, at least going by the voltage readings I get with this fan on, the battery would be done if I forced the fan on sooner then normal operation thanks to the Vmax possesing the electrical system of a riding mower! If I was more willing to do Yamaha's job for them by increasing the size of the charging wire, grounding the R/R better then it is and giving it a R/R with the amperage capabilty like the 50 amp R1 rather then the 20 amp they threw on Vmax, I would force the fan on sooner like you do.

If you do the Crimp Fix and Buy a decent Battery, that should't be a problem.
I lived in Raleigh, NC for over 20 years and 90 - 100 F is the Norm for the summer, so the Fan Switch was a Must for me.
I put a manual Fan Switch on my 2000, after doing the Crimp Fix, in 2002 and I have Never had a problem with the bike charging properly.
That was even with the Stock battery in it for 5 years.

I've redone all the connections and have an Odyssey battery with the old model R&R.
It works fine supporting the fan. When I check the battery it's always over 12.9 volts...

Problem solved! I gave it a new set of Champion plugs and richened the pilots up to 3 1/2 turns each. I was suspecting maybe too lean along with possibly an iffy plug.
It now idles great even when the temp guage gets to where the fan kicks on and never misses a beat and while it's this hot it can be shut off and restarted and it picks up right where it left off! :thumbs up:

Back