blowin a fuse

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kozy

Reaction score
I was helping my friend change out his stock turn sigs on a ZZR600 to some smaller aftermarket LED sigs. The swap went fine. Turned the bike on once we got everything put back together, hit the right turn sig and it worked fine, left one worked fine as well. Went to go hit the right again and blew a fuse. Changed out the fuse, still blew it. I'm no good with electrical and neither is he.
The stockers were a 2-wire system and so are the aftermarket sigs.

Any ideas on why it keeps blowing fuses?
Any input would be appreciated as he doesn't want to ride without sigs since he's new at the whole motorcycle thing.

It only blows the fuse for right signal? Try wiring the stocker back on and see if it still happens. It sounds like there's a short between the two signal wires.

I already had thought about that. It blew when I turned the right sig on the first time. After replacing the fuse, it blew again when I turned the left one on.

Recheck the wiring and make sure the signals are plugged into the right harness connectors.

Yeah I made sure they were plugged into the right connectors. Everything looked fine with the way we had set it up. We were short on time so didn't re-try the stockers but that will be the next thing we do before we go any further.

Unplug both new lights and put in a new fuse and try the right signal. If the fuse is still good, then plug the right light in and try it again. If the fuse blows, then you've found the area of trouble -- the light. Also it is possible that the draw of the 2 lights is too much for the rating of the fuse, but I doubt that is the reason.

I blew the main fuse when I cross connected the new front turn signals this spring. Once I fixed the cross connect and repalced the main fuse it was all good. Like you posted, I would go back to the stockers to make sure there isn't another issue.

Also it is possible that the draw of the 2 lights is too much for the rating of the fuse, but I doubt that is the reason.

That is what I was thinking might have been the problem. We were switching over from a bulb to LED signals. I'm going to try it again whenever I can with a bigger fuse and see what happens.

That is what I was thinking might have been the problem. We were switching over from a bulb to LED signals. I'm going to try it again whenever I can with a bigger fuse and see what happens.

Give it a try, however an LED draws just about nothing compared to a bulb, current wise.

GOOD NEWS - Well....I changed it from a 10amp fuse to a 30....and it works!

BAD NEWS - my buddy wrecked his bike so the signals are no longer needed. lol

Back