Bolt size

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not sure off hand, if you ask for the harmonic balancer puller from Autozone's rent-a-tool it comes with grade 8 bolts that fit. There's a $20 deposit, which you get back as long as you return it (even if it's broken).

It popped mine off without too much issue, 3-4 "tighten n whack" combos and it came off. Others have had a much more difficult time with snapped bolts, broken pullers, ect.

Thanks guys, I think I'll try the harmonic balance puller first, but if that doesn't do the trick, that is a great idea Garrett!! I'll go the route you suggested. Thanks again, Ed✨

hopefully u saw my troubles with a harmonic puller last year. just please make sure you get the right grade bolts. could have ended up costing me hundreds if not more.

I saw Sean's video and hope it goes that well but now you guys have me second guessing. So there's room behind the flywheel for the jaws between the fw and that sprocket looking gear and I guess make sure I ziptie themm together ?

I saw Sean's video and hope it goes that well but now you guys have me second guessing. So there's room behind the flywheel for the jaws between the fw and that sprocket looking gear and I guess make sure I ziptie themm together ?

Yupp. Got mine off with an 8 ton puller which was too big. A 5 ton with long jaws should do you fine if the jaw sizes are similar to the ones I saw.

U don't have to ziptie, but it sure makes finding parts eaiser. My zipties snapped when mine popped.

I don't normally use the zip ties but I don't mind hunting down the little parts. I have never had one that I could not get off with my method and standard puller. I did have one pretty stuck a month ago or so. I had sent it in still attached to the crank to get some stroker work done and they had to send it back because they could not get it off either! Took me maybe 10 minutes (instead of 5).

Sean

sean, do you see any downside to using a hydraulic jaw puller?

the only thing i can say then is make sure the jaws are the right size, mine were too big so they didn't sit flush and dug into the back of the flywheel a bit.

haha. oh yea i think we shoudl throw a party when its reached!

haha. oh yea i think we shoudl throw a party when its reached!

Sheesh Garrett, you're such a postus whorus.

You gotta break the static friction of the flywheel, impacts are what you need. A steady increasing pull like Prez said will be a lot less effective and possibly damage it.

I have yet to find a flywheel that wouldn't pop with a regular crowfoot puller and a big enough hammer to whack the bolt with. A framing hammer won't do....a 5lb mini-sledge is my preferred weapon. The puller always loosens up after you strike it from the impact momentairly releasing tension on the threads. Whack, re-tighten, whack again, ect. The jolt of the hammer gives an instant "boost" to the force applied. On one particularly stubborn outboard I couldn't pop it with tightening/hammer, so I got an air hammer with a cupped-end bit(for pounding out pressed in bolts and such). Tightened the piss out of it and let 'er rip....it popped almost instantly.

Ok, a buddy lent me a 3jaw puller about a 5 ton I believe, now my question is, should I crank the center shaft tight and still use my mini sledge to pop it or should I just use the sledge on the harmonic balancer type? I just don't want to break a borrowed 3 jaw when I can go buy a balance puller for $20

Latest posts

Back