Brembo or R1 ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZRX/V-MAX

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've scored some Ducati Brembo calipers, and then some R1's from ebay recently, and I'm wondering what to put on the Max.

I have Brembo's and Braking wave rotors on my ZRX, and it stops when you look at the lever.

I hear the R1 calipers are excellent also.

What to do?

Thanks........................Neal

Personally I'd go with the Brembos as I believe they are a better unit. Someone makes an adapter for it so it bolts up to the stock VMax forks. I'll see if I can find the URL.

thanks for the reply. i have the info on the adapters from Quality parts.

are there other adapters available?

and i put this in the main forum because i thought it would get more exposure than in the brake forum. thanks to who ever moved it.

Try a search in the Brake forum or best to ask the question there.

btw, i did try a search.

"Brembo" or "brembo calipers" got one hit

"R1 calipers" got almost two pages, but little real info.

but thanks for trying to be helpful!

:bang head:

depending on your bikes year (93 and up) the R1 are bolt on calipers. You can then get an equivalent master and have tremendous braking.

Sean

I'll tell ya what... I am VERY happy with the stock calipers, HH+ pads and Galfer wave rotors all around...:thumbs up: The thing stops freakin great and that's comparing it to my SV with 6 pots up front...:worthy: I have reduced the rolling mass a bunch though with the new wheels... :coolgleamA:

I've got a spec shee6t somewhere for Tokico adapters for 92 and older bikes. It's a fairly easy adapter to make and I may consider making another set.

Sean Morley

I've got a spec shee6t somewhere for Tokico adapters for 92 and older bikes. It's a fairly easy adapter to make and I may consider making another set.

Sean Morley

Anyone ever try bolting a set of the Tokico's onto a stock 93+ Max?? I have a set of 4 pots with 3200 miles on them just sitting in my basement...:whistlin:

How much better are EBC HH then EBC FA pads and is $57 shipped the best price? (Whitebuffalo)

Python EBC link:

http://www.pythonmotorsports.com/vmax/vmax_products/ebc_early.htm

Whether Galfer or EBC or any other brand of HH, they are SO much better you will be amazed and wonder why you didn't do it to begin with...:thumbs up:

I run the EBC's on both my SV and the Max. I switched the Max's out at 150 miles and never looked back. Make sure you bed them in right and you won't be disappointed... HH won't eat your rotors like the stock compound will...

White Buffalo is the cheapest while offering great service. Talk to Mike. You won't regret it. I get everything I can from him...:thumbs up:

Sean Morley

hey sean, i have a 90 max, so i have to use adapters whatever way i go.

i have the 6 piston tokico calipers that i took off my zrx. i think the spacing is 90mm. is this the caliper you make the adapters for? how much?

that would be 3 diff choices then.

thanks

hey sean, i have a 90 max, so i have to use adapters whatever way i go.

i have the 6 piston tokico calipers that i took off my zrx. i think the spacing is 90mm. is this the caliper you make the adapters for? how much?

that would be 3 diff choices then.

thanks

OK, here we go.

If your forks are standard, you have 40mm fork tubes on your 1990 model. This diameter was used from 1985 to 1992.

After, (and I think including) 1993 the fork tubes went to 43mm

The Lower fork assembly is different because of the difference in the fork tube sizes BUT the lower fork is also different because Yamaha upgraded the brake rotor diameter and went to twin piston callipers on the later models.

All of the following options assume you are upgrading your rotors to 298mm R1 style. These are sometimes referred to as 300mm.

These are some of your options.

1)Brembo four piston callipers with 60mm mounting centres. The centres are the centres of the calliper holes your mounting bolts pass through to mount to the lower fork calliper mounts. You will need an adapter to fit these to your lower fork assembly. Your adaptor and 60mm Brembo?s will look like picture one when mounted to your fork. You can get the 60mm Brembo?s and the 60mm adapters here http://www.v-max-f-maerz.de/vmaxkatalog/160/161a.html

Your local source is Boxennstop but don?t hold your breath for them to respond to your inquiry.

2)Brembo four piston callipers with 65mm mounting centres. You will need an adaptor to fit these to your lower fork assembly. Your adaptor and 65mm Brembo?s will look like picture two when mounted to your fork. You can get the adaptors here http://qualitypartsonline.com/brembo.htm

3)Tokico 6 piston callipers with 63mm (approx) mounting centres. You will need an adaptor to fit these to your lower fork assembly. Your adaptor and 63mm Tokico?s will look like picture three when mounted to your fork.

[FONT=&quot]4) Yamaha R1 four piston callipers with ?whatever these are? mounting centres. You will need an adapter to fit these to your lower fork assembly. Your adaptor and R1 callipers will look like picture four when mounted to your fork. You can get them here http://qualitypartsonline.com/r1_r6.htm

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]5) Harrison make a calliper that bolts straight on but it costs more. See last picture.

So you have a bucket load of choices. It boils down to what cosmetics you are looking for because they will all improve performance over stock.

One final word. Use braided brake lines.

[/FONT]

Attachments

• 161a.jpg
    161a.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 13
  • brembo proto.jpg
    brembo proto.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 26
  • busters tociko.jpg
    busters tociko.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 23
  • web_blk_adapter.jpg
    web_blk_adapter.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 20
  • galfer rotors and harrison 6pots 85 max.jpg
    galfer rotors and harrison 6pots 85 max.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
That's great info Gleno.

it looks like i have choices 2, 3 and 4

any thought as to which would work the best?

i would hazard to say imo

brembo
R1
tokico

in that order.

i realize any choice is way better than what i have now.

i think flinstone style would work better than the stock calipers.

i think flinstone style would work better than the stock calipers.

I don't know why people say that unless you're talking about the pre 93 2 pots and not the post 93 4 pots... They aren't that bad. Where they are bad can be fixed with pads and lines...:thumbs up:

That's good to know as I slid through an intersection just yesterday when I was being absent minded. I'll have to check out some different pads.

To perfectly honest, the pre-93 units just aren't up to modern day standards.

They were acceptable in the mid to late eighties but today you have to out brake the lightweight car traveling in front of you and its fitted with ABS.

I have found the pre-93 units to be a BIG let down in the wet and on long downhill mountain braking runs the brake fade is a worry.

I eventually settled for the Brembo 65mm centres. The braking pads have a large surface area and the adapters from Quality Parts on line fit snugly on the pre-93 mounts.

The only change I made was to paint the Brembo's silver to match the original cosmetics.

I'll post pics soon.

Just replaced my front pads with HH sinters (sp?) and man, what a difference! I have a quad piston '99 and just put new regular EBCs on ($60 wasted) which were much better than stock but they were still pretty weak. I don't think I'd recommend changing to the HH unless you have better fork springs, they'll make regular springs dive too much.

Just replaced my front pads with HH sinters (sp?) and man, what a difference! I have a dual piston '99 and just put new regular EBCs on ($60 wasted) which were much better than stock but they were still pretty weak. I don't think I'd recommend changing to the HH unless you have better fork springs, they'll make regular springs dive too much.

FYI: You have 4 pistons... :thumbs up:

I've been saying it for years... HH's are awesome!:punk:

Back