can't get no fire from plugs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

f35063

Reaction score
i just bought this 86 vmax from my brother. installed new battery, rectifier but it still don't charge. well thats next... rode it to town on the way back home it just shut down and died had to have my son go home get trailor & haul back home.. it turns over but i cant get any fire to plugs. checked fuses.. ok.. netural switch ok... kick stand safty switch ok clutch switch ok... dont have a meter dont know how to read one anyway....any help greatly appreciated....

Well, its one of three things, your pick-up, coils or ignition. None of them are really cheap. I have an 85 and replaced all three, dont really no where to start. I would probably start with maybe one coil to see if you get fire. Now you have checked all indivivdual coils, CORRECT? If so, and new one fires then you know its coils. If not I would probably go with pick-up cheaper than ign. Fixed?, if not only one thing left. Hope this helps Good Luck, Roy

Sorry 4 things Spark plug wires, they are way cheaper than the other three. Sorry Roy

i just bought this 86 vmax from my brother. installed new battery, rectifier but it still don't charge. well thats next... rode it to town on the way back home it just shut down and died had to have my son go home get trailor & haul back home.. it turns over but i cant get any fire to plugs. checked fuses.. ok.. netural switch ok... kick stand safty switch ok clutch switch ok... dont have a meter dont know how to read one anyway....any help greatly appreciated....

First let me say...you are going to need to get a multimeter and learn how to use it if you are going to own an older VMax:confused2: sorry to say that is the truth.

Second PM me and I will send you my phone number, get a multimeter and I will help u walk through the charging flow chart and find out what is wrong. Been through it a couple of times and pretty familiar with it. Dont ask me how :bang head:

Cheers

Get the charging system problem fixed first as a low battery in a VMax creates a lot of other problems. And welcome to the forum! :welcome_sign::cheers:

thanks everyone... started to take cdi out there was a little box there by the cdi that had a broken wire touched wire back in and it started.. again thanks..............now im off to buy a multi meter to try to fix charging system...will probably be asking more questions..

thanks everyone... started to take cdi out there was a little box there by the cdi that had a broken wire touched wire back in and it started.. again thanks..............now im off to buy a multi meter to try to fix charging system...will probably be asking more questions..

The ignition module is under the faux tank, airbox and gauge cluster. What little box are you talking about??? Was it under the left scoop???

The flasher relay, fuel relay, and vboost controller are all located under the left scoop. Your flasher relay can cause these symptoms.

You could unplug the flasher relay and see if you dulplicate the problem.

Flasher_relay.jpg

Neil

The ignition module is under the faux tank, airbox and gauge cluster. What little box are you talking about??? Was it under the left scoop???

The flasher relay, fuel relay, and vboost controller are all located under the left scoop. Your flasher relay can cause these symptoms.

You could unplug the flasher relay and see if you dulplicate the problem.

Flasher_relay.jpg

Neil
it was top left of your green circle behind the plastic mount that what in your pict. is mounted to there is a little 1"x1" sq. box mine was blue & black with a 4 wire plug pluged into it there was one broke. whin i looked it up @ yamaha parts it looks like this SKU: 4U8-81950-02-00
RELAY ASSY. (4U8-81950-00) FOR SIDE STAND FOR SIDE STAND

Ah, that's your sidestand relay. If not working correctly your bike will turn over but no spark to the plugs. That relay went bye-bye in 1993.

Back