Carb jet?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sblankert

Reaction score
I traded my 86 max for a 2003 with 8k miles on it. It ran strong til I came to a stop at my house where it stumbled and stalled. I decided to look at the carbs and saw this thing poking out when I pulled the needle out. How do I get this jet in? It doesn't seem to want to screw in....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 67
You'll have to take the carbs out and open the float cover up to get access to the screw that holds in in place.

I traded my 86 max for a 2003 with 8k miles on it. It ran strong til I came to a stop at my house where it stumbled and stalled. I decided to look at the carbs and saw this thing poking out when I pulled the needle out. How do I get this jet in? It doesn't seem to want to screw in....

That is your (i'm going by what boats.net is calling the parts to make it easier to find although some of their descriptions are wrong) main nozzle #35 that goes through the center of the carb body (has a tiny nub on it that needs to go in correctly) through the jetblock gasket #36 then the o-ring #34 goes over it- The jet block assembly #33
then goes over it (here is where you will see which way the nub goes through the jet block assembly) then what is called the main jet washer? #30 goes on and fits flush into the main nozzle and then finally the screw #29. schematic below for reference.When you take the floatbowl off hopefully you are going to find the washer and screw that will be loose- the o-ring is probably hanging on the main nozzle for dear life. Also want to add that the jetblock gaskets break and easily tear so be prepared.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1986/V-MAX 1200 - VMX12S/CARBURETOR/parts.html

Last edited:
The oring is trapped between the jet block and carb body so it's probably just fine. Just need to retrieve that screw/washer and put it back on.

See the large flat/slot brass screws seen in the pictures below.

Attachments

• FloatLevelInternal.jpg
    FloatLevelInternal.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 43
+1 the o-ring will be ok....I'm not sure that the screw and possibly the washer also can go anywhere either, it may be trapped in the recess cast in the cover. Most difficult part of this project will be pulling the carbs and splitting the rack to get access to the float cover.

Probly will have to rotate the needle jet some to get the nub & groove (that Dragmaxster mentioned) to line up....oh, and pull the front cover and slide/diaphragm out too.

My fault on the o-ring- damn i keep getting my yams and suzs mixed up.
I assumed he had the top lid off and slide out already as i couldn't see a needle.
Thanks guys.

17mm +/- 1mmImageUploadedByTapatalk1443454932.877168.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443454822.350529.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1443454822.350529.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 24
Back