carb problem?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trickster

Reaction score
first post
great forum
been working on my max all day , i have a problem with a back fire through a carb. Took the top of the air box and firerd her up......,
when revving the engine i noticed one of the carb sliders was not moving
and back fireing through the carb..........youguys got any idea what the problem is......:bang head:
cheers
Rick
nottingham england

If the one slide isn't moving, should remove it for inspection. Might have a tear in the diaphram or the orfice / passageway that supplys the vaccumm might be plugged.

boy that was fast Jeff
checked the diapham its ok but do not know where the passageway that supplys the vacuum is
cheers
RIck

Have you checked that the slide moves freely? If not it may be a little gummed up and either the slide, the bore or both may need cleaning - use carb cleaner to dissolve solid deposit but keep that stuff off the rubber parts as it will eat into it.

If you're not sure vacuum is working maybe do the 'shotgun', often some of the small passageways in the carbs can get blocked up a bit and a good shotgun can do wonders.

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

cheers
i will give it a go ......
and let you know how i get on
boy you guys are so helpfull
cheers
Rick
from over the pond.......lol

right lads:
ive "shooting the shotgun" followed the instructions to the later, all except removing the idle screw [its been abused by somsbody before i got her!]
and its imposible to remove [sh*t]
i swopped all diaphrams over and fired her up, the one from the carb problem side worked fine in another carb, so its ok!
when i fired her up i noticed fuel blowing up through the main jet air bleed?
but alas she is in the state of only running on 3 pots......
help needed:bang head:
anyone there .....
cheers
Rick
p.s had to remove the spark plug under the faulty carb... it was fouled and not sparking. when cleaned was fine.

did you get all four A/F screws out? do they all look ok? Did you record how many turns each were out by?

Have you checked you're getting spark on all four properly?

What do you mean by idle screw? The phat one adjusting idle speed is just a rest for the throttle, not inside the carbs?

did you get all four A/F screws out? do they all look ok? Did you record how many turns each were out by?

Have you checked you're getting spark on all four properly?

What do you mean by idle screw? The phat one adjusting idle speed is just a rest for the throttle, not inside the carbs?
correct, just working on the faulty carb ,the others are working fine so no need to touch the other 3:ummm:

correct, just working on the faulty carb ,the others are working fine so no need to touch the other 3:ummm:
So, are you saying it's the A/F screw of that carb you could not get out? That could be your problem right there.. also when you do the shotgun, you usually go through all four carbs, not just the one.

Have you checked you're getting good spark on all four plugs?

The most likely issue is that the diaphragm is holy or torn. Hold it up to a bright light to check.

That slide moves and springs back ok if you push it with your finger, right?

as stated i took the slider and diaphram from the faulty carb and and swopped it over with one from another carb, the one from "the faulty carb" worked in the other carb,the slide/diaphram from the good carb [that was working fine]did not work in the faulty carb
which would mean both diaphrams are ok .so theres somthing wrong eles where

Hi Trick,
You mentioned the you saw fuel blowing up from theair bleed?? You might want to check to see if the float needle valve is stuck open in that carb. The plug of that cylinder should be fouled and fuel might even be comming out he over flow. :ummm:
Sure would be a good thing if you could get the idle screw to move so it can be replaced. I'm sure that can help with the general running of your Max.

Good luck,
Lew

Last edited:
Yes,
Check everything else first!!! The spark plug of that cylinder WILL be fouled if the needle valve is stuck. Fuel may well be comming out the overflow if this is the problem. Good spark at the cylinder in question????
Check the "stickys" in the carb section for carb removal procedure if necessary.
Good luck,
Lew

see if you can gess which pot and which carb is playing up?
maxxie 001.jpg

maxxie 002.jpg
also when draining thefloat bowls on the carbs, could not belive the amount of "rust paritules" that came out
any ideas?

will i ever get her back to her old self
not as fancy as some on here but shes my own work and shes fantastic {if only in my eyes...LOL]
2010-2011 241.jpg

will i ever get her back to her old self
not as fancy as some on here but shes my own work and shes fantastic {if only in my eyes...LOL]
View attachment 27094

Yup, you will.
There was some videos that a forum member, Damon, was selling on the engine and another on carbs. They pop up on eBay every now and then. If you can score one, I'm sure it would be of great help to you.

Back