Cell Phone / Sim Card Reception Question...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lotsokids

Reaction score
My wife and I have lived in Hungary for 6 years now.
I have owned 3 phones and had no big reception problems.
My wife has owned a Nokia, Samsung, and now a Samsung Galaxy S4. No reception in our house with any of these phones. She can stand next to me without reception, yet mine has some. We both use T-Mobile (Europe).

So the question... maybe you'll think it's a stupid one - Does the Sim card relate to the reception at all? That is the only thing common in this problem. I just bought her an iphone 5c, which we will receive in about 3 weeks.

:confused2:

T-mobile support----
Typically a sim card does not have any impact on the level of signal your device receives. It's sole purpose is to connect you to the network and doesn't effect the actual level of signal.

She obviously isn't holding her mouth right. Have her put on a tin foil hat and stand on a kitchen chair while making some weird contortions with her mouth. Take pictures of her doing that. If her reception doesn't improve while doing this, at least you've got some funny pics to share with friends, and you can blame the entire ordeal on ME.

If none of the above improves her receptions - I GOT NOTHING - I don't even carry a cell phone myself.

She obviously isn't holding her mouth right. Have her put on a tin foil hat and stand on a kitchen chair while making some weird contortions with her mouth. Take pictures of her doing that. If her reception doesn't improve while doing this, at least you've got some funny pics to share with friends, and you can blame the entire ordeal on ME.

I read your reply to my wife and she suggested we try it. :rofl_200:
At least we got to share our laughs with you guys.

DSCF3258sm_zpsg4qsoifm.jpg

That's AWESOME! ........eh, I take it, her reception didn't get any better with the elevation and foil hat on? I'm stumped. :rofl_200:

I know what it is.....she should have a metal coat hanger in her other hand as well....like an antenna.

Too funny.

Now for some answers. Each phone has different frequency bands for regular service, and different data services 4g, LTE etc. T-Mobile is strictly gsm like most carriers outside the US meaning it has up to 4 primary bands however in Hungary it looks like you only have 900 and 1800. Those two are pretty standard all over Europe so I doubt it would be the problem. Are these phones running Android OS? If so, it is likely the phone supports more bands than are available and it could be searching for a connection that is not possible. If you go to settings -> more -> mobile networks you can set the preferred network to GSM only and also set it to T-Mobile only for the service provider so it won't try and fail on another provider. If that doesn't help it may be worth checking the sim card, it is unlikely that it is the problem but it given some past experiences in the industry it is possible. The easiest way to check would be putting your known good sim in her phone and vice versa to see if you get different connectivity results. If so, T-Mobile can set you up with a new sim. Hope this helps; wife and kid both yelling now so time to put the phone down for me, lol.

There are a number of things that effect cell phone reception and more importantly the ability to place or hold a call.

One of the first is the sensitivity of the entire RF (radio frequency) chain in the phone. This includes the antenna, amplifiers, and other equipment (prior to the signal being converted into digital data. All phone manufacturers attempt to have the most sensitive receivers they can build but often times function follows form as they need to cram all of those electronics into the specific shape some ergonomic design engineer has put together. This can lead to less than optimal designs where the sensitivity of the chain is sacrificed for the ability to get it into the package. If they let the RF engineer have their way, we would have big bulky external antennas on our phones, but you could probably still place a call in the middle of the Pacific.

The next issue that is somewhat related to sensitivity is power budget. Each manufacturer is trying to get the most talk and standby time from their phone. This means that commonly a lower quality amplifier may be chosen because it uses less power than a higher quality one. It is a big balancing act to find the sweet spot between sensitivity and power budget. A great amplifier may simply draw too much power and kill the battery sooner than desired so the manufacturer picks one with a lower signal quality that uses less power.

Next in line is the DSP (digital signal processing) algorithms that are used. This is essentially the phone's ability to correct for errors in the stream of data and/or estimate what the data should look like when there are missing chunks. This is especially true when you start to get out on the edge of coverage. Think of a radio that is getting out to the edge of a radio station's coverage. You start to hear more static and less music. The farther you go, the worse it gets. It is the DSP algorithms in the phone that dictate how bad this signal to noise ratio (SNR) can get before the phone drops the call. Phone companies keep these DSP algorithms under tight wraps. It is all proprietary information. Some are better than others.

Memory is another factor that relates to how sophisticated of a DSP algorithm the manufacturer can use. More memory = bigger sampled data sets = better noise immunity. Unfortunately the cost of the specific type of memory used in this application is one of the more expensive parts of the signal processing chain. More expensive phones tend to have more memory thus can use better algorithms and have the ability to tolerate a lower SNR.

Total all of these things up and what you get is what you are seeing between your two phones.

As Tex stated above, the SIM card is really just the phone's way of entering it's PIN number and authorizing itself to the network. There is nothing on it that would effect the ability of a phone to hold or place a call.

...or you could have your wife hold a coat hanger in the other hand...you know, like an antenna.:biglaugh:

Back