Chain drive rear wheel thoughts?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dodgediesel59

Reaction score
Well guys, Sean has sold me a set of 1428 chain drive engine cases to build my turbo motor on. Havent got the parts yet, but the swingarm was a PCW setup originally. Sean doesnt know what kind of wheel was on it originally and I am wondering if you guys any ideas or suggesntions? I know the stock wheel can be used with some adapters and such, but I really want to get rid of that stupid bias ply tire anyways, so what would you guys reccomend for a good affordable sport bike wheel that will take a good size tire and has a big rear rotor?

Im getting a set of 17" kosmanss in the fall. Don't know if ill install them right away or wait till winter.. right now I have a kosman 18x6 rim got a 210 metzeler on it right now.. not radial tho but u can buy radial. Gonna sell it when I get new ones. Uses stock rear caliper and rotor. I know kyle had a 17" rear rim for sale I think 600 he was asking.. the guy im buying rims from has a PCW swing arm he has a GSXR axle.. mines a little smaller. But seeing how it kosman also im amusing the races are the same in wheel and I can just switch bearings.. id be willing to trade my mad max swing arm for a pcw though.

Let's get the arm to you (which mailed out today by the way) and you can measure up the axle hole and see what size it is. I suspect it's set up for an R1 or Maybe GSXR setup.

Sean

Ha your everywhere Sean! I will do some research when it gets here I suppose. You could say I am a bit excited about this build Sean, its one I never figured would happen!

Well from what I am seeing, the axle size is 20mm and the length should be around 14 inches. Not sure how the swing arms usually mount with a pcw swingarm, but the vmax pivot bolt setup doesnt seem right, the driver side one almost seems like it should be a bit longer. In order to get the pivots tight you have to screw the right side pivot in flush and then the swing arm is rubbing the frame on the left side.

You may need a second adjustable bolt from the right side to set the position of the arm. The axle started at 20mm on the 89 FZR 1000's so that might work too.

Sean

When i was up there getting my 1500 installed i asked him and he use's the gsxr set up he says its about the lightest stock wheel you can get.

I think I am going to just mill out the chain adjusters and swingarm and run a 28mm axle. I think i would have a truer wheel with no bushing and since I have no axle anyhow might make things easier.

Back