charging

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marsam

Reaction score
after reading just about every post on charging systems, i decided that my 88 was due for a upgrade. i was going to do all the tips available. first thing i did was go on ebay and get a r1 reg. while i was waiting on the reg. i wanted to take a 2 day trip. i knew when i reved mine i would loose voltage so i figured i'd at least do the crimp and ground wire. i pulled the left rear foot peg and to my surprise there was a after market vmax reg.. forget the name but same size and attachment. i also notice the previous owner did an excellent job crimping and soldering the wires and covering them with heat shrink. i went ahead and cleaned and tightened the power wire and ran a ground wire and wola!!!:eusa_dance: i now have a bright headlight
good luck to all and if you buy a used vmax check for previous undated parts before ordering them. i will hold on the my r1 reg. i'll need it one day.
mark

If it were me, I would change it out anyway.
The vmax regulators heat up and crap out and like mine did, they take your battery with it and then you wind up having to do what I did and that was re wiring your charging system from the stator wires up !!
so I just decided that while I`m at it, I did the crimp fix and bypassed the harness and ran a wire to the hot wire on the ignitor plug and now I not only have a strong charge, I can sit in traffic all day and my hot start problems are gone for good.
Just my 2 cents.
<<Dave>>:punk:

thanks, did you notice that it runs better. the more battery voltage the hotter spark. i never had a hot start problem just couldn't see at night.

Back