chrys pt LOOSER

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mymax04

Reaction score
So I run & full service auto shop for a living. I,d like to pick someones brain about a power steering problem. I will try to make this easy w bullet points highlighting the major changes I have done to resolve the problem. If someone comes up with an idea Ill respond with already tried it or Ill go try it right now. Ive had the car for a week & im still no closer to resolving the problem..... Im losing money @ this point (daily)

- new pump no help
- new high pressure line. nope
- new rack... not
- bled air for hrs on anyone of these changes. no help
- made a new return line to come straight from the rack to the remote res.
- ripped the screen out of the remote res
- blew the seal at the pump to the hp line in the process of bleeding air
- blew the seal in the rack in the process of bleeding air (or trying)
- new pump
-new pump
- right now I have a junk yard pump that my tech is putting in....
I could probabaly go on but that will get us started.:bang head: if there was a little guy shootin himself in the head I would have ended this w that one:gun shoot::gun shoot:

You mentioned a power steering problem but didn't say exactly what it was or was not doing before you started the repair work.

customer complaint was no power steering.
no power steering whatso ever... no hum ..no assist .. no nothing
Guess I got caught at "throwing a part at it" but I have time to diag it now so.... I just spent the last 3 hrs turning the wheel back and forth (3 diff people)... rigged it up to manually "pull" the fluid thru the rack. didn't help. now I have tried, with it running, to inject PSF into the supply line (remote res remember) to get fluid to the veins,..... shoot it in there while its running & then shut it off quick. no luck.

sorry on not enuf info

07 pt cruiser 2.4l non turbo, does not come w a low pressure switch on this one. also no variable assist as on a gm product.
simple system. reservoir, about an 1 1/4" supply line to the pump, high pressure line from the pump to the rack, rubber return line from rack to cooler, and rubber return continues from cooler back to res

Using the yahoo search engine, I typed
chrysler pt cruiser power steering troubleshooting

Lots of links to various Q&A forums. Seems that power steering problems are common. Perhaps something specific to the issue(s) you are dealing with.
Not much experience myself, with the exception of replacing belts, repairing cooling lines,and replacing h.p. tubing (on a Mazda Protege)
Hope you have more room to work around the components on the Cruiser.
Good Luck!

Plugged filter in the re reservoir. I know the you mentioned taking the screen out, but it may still be plugged.

Mike

lol. theres NO room! 2.4 hrs to change a pump. Im on my 4th. about 3 hrs to change a rack plus an alignment. not to mention the 7hr water pump/timing belt.... yea I got some real time in this to begin w but now the race is over & everyones gone from the track....:ummm:

Using the yahoo search engine, I typed
chrysler pt cruiser power steering troubleshooting

Lots of links to various Q&A forums. Seems that power steering problems are common. Perhaps something specific to the issue(s) you are dealing with.
Not much experience myself, with the exception of replacing belts, repairing cooling lines,and replacing h.p. tubing (on a Mazda Protege)
Hope you have more room to work around the components on the Cruiser.
Good Luck!

Thanks for the link. I spend most of my time with google but that obviously hasnt helped me so ill take a look.

This may seem dumb, but sometimes the simplest thing can be the issue as most of us find out from time to time. Is the belt routed right around the pulleys?

This may seem dumb, but sometimes the simplest thing can be the issue as most of us find out from time to time. Is the belt routed right around the pulleys?

I had that same thought. Correct tension also. So the Belts not just slipping.:ummm:

belt backwards

That came to my mind 4 days into it & I thought it was the greatest idea EVER but we looked & nope...

your right, when I find out its gonna be something.... maybe easily overlooked or yes simple....

at this point, its already asinine, crazy, or wtf ever.

and to top it off the tech that started the job, called me 10 mins ago & says he cant make it.:clapping:not :bang head: you either laugh or you cry huh.

so this morning Im either going to make a way to pull vaccum on it or find a way to beable to inject (force),,, supply PSF w pressure,, however you look at it, with something that has more that a quart reserve.

spent time w it all day running forcing fluid into it to rule out air pockets...
pinched off the return line & the pump squawks pretty loud. that tells me the fluid is being circulated all the way thru.... Im pulling this rack out and got another new rack coming... gonna see if I can have it hooked up & try it before quitin time @ 4:30

If I had a PT Cruiser, I wouldn't admit it to anyone.. Kinda like DMANN's Bieberboots!

Reading these symptoms, two ideas came to my mind. Could the belt be routed to be turning that pump backward, or maybe there is a collapsed fluid line some place.

And yeah - friends don't let friends drive anything Mopar, much less, a PT Loser. Lol

Reading these symptoms, two ideas came to my mind. Could the belt be routed to be turning that pump backward, or maybe there is a collapsed fluid line some place.

And yeah - friends don't let friends drive anything Mopar, much less, a PT Loser. Lol

LOL..I will have to show you pics of my 66 Dodge Coronet...

LOL...first off....you make fun of my possibly threatening underwear...then, a car (the 66 Dodge) that has outlasted 3 marriages...and 3 divorces. LOL...I'm gonna get you a "I LOVE MOPAR" shirt for your birthday...

Back