Clutch adjustment question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartolucci

Reaction score
I spent a bit of time poking around trying to find an answer to what I feel must be a common question and came up empty. So here goes . . .

Went for a 120 mile ride today. No problems. Later on was going to make a quick run to the store and my clutch play is messed up. It's like the cable stretched out 2". Now the motor starts to pull as soon as I start to release the clutch lever from the grip. It's fully disengaged at around halfway out.

Anyone help me out on this one?

Thanks!

Your Vmax has a hydraulic clutch mechanism, check your fluid level. You may have to bleed system to remove air from line and clutch slave cylinder.

Pic of clutch reservoir and slave cylinder bleed point, you have to raise the rubber flap the finger is pointing to to get to bleed screw. The reservoir has 2 small phillips head screws that have to be removed to add fluid.

Attachments

• VMax%20Adjustable%20Clutch%20Lever.jpg
    VMax%20Adjustable%20Clutch%20Lever.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 33
  • Slave%20cylinder%20001.jpg
    Slave%20cylinder%20001.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 39
+1 to alorio1's suggestion. The fluid may be old and worn out. Fresh fluid should help if it's not the level.

best case situation=to alorio1 and specs. if you ended up burping the lines to cure the problem, be sure to make sure all of your bolts are torqued as a precautionary measure (there was either a latent bubble stuck in some joint that finally loosed free or air entered a junction). if you end up replace the fluid to cure the problem, keep in mind to be sure to periodically change out the fluid (annually or bi-annually) else reap the worst case situation=rotten seal(s).
when was the last time the fluid was changed? because of the hygroscopic property of brake fluid, water will start collecting near the seals and start eating them up as well as promote rusty pistons and such. if after you followed alorio1 and specs' advice, you still suffer from the symptoms you previously posted, start looking for a weep either at the master or at the slave.

Thanks for all the help. I just bought this bike last week. The guy I bought it from had it 3 years and hardly ever had ridden it the past two. The bike has a stage 7 kid and is also supposed to have a high performance clutch.

What kind of fluid am I supposed to use?

Thanks!

B

Pic of clutch reservoir and slave cylinder bleed point, you have to raise the rubber flap the finger is pointing to to get to bleed screw. The reservoir has 2 small phillips head screws that have to be removed to add fluid.

Thanks so much for the pics! That is most helpful.

This is my first V-Max and I don't have a service manual so I'm clueless on much of this.

B

I spent a bit of time poking around trying to find an answer to what I feel must be a common question and came up empty. So here goes . . .

Went for a 120 mile ride today. No problems. Later on was going to make a quick run to the store and my clutch play is messed up. It's like the cable stretched out 2". Now the motor starts to pull as soon as I start to release the clutch lever from the grip. It's fully disengaged at around halfway out.

Anyone help me out on this one? Thanks!
The V-Max has a self-adjusting hydraulic clutch.

Over time, DOT 3-4 brake fluid absorbs moisture, and in doing so, lowers the boiling point of the fluid. I suspect that your hydraulic fluid boiled causing air to form, either that or your fluid level got too low due to clutch wear and/or a leaking slave cylinder and allowed air to form in the system.

Before you start flushing fluid and bleeding, inspect the slave cylinder for leakage. If there's any sign of fluid leakage, it's gonna have to be rebuilt. If you have to go that route, it wouldn't be a bad idea to rebuild the master cylinder. Regardless, make sure your master cylinder is free of sludge and corrosion. Take the time to clean it thoroughly.

Side note: Hydraulic fluids should be replaced every two years.

Back