Clutch adjustment?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd say you need to change your brake fluid In the entire clutch hydraulic system which of course includes a good bleed. You may have a leak somewhere or other which will of course need to be fixed 1st. Try changing the fluid and see how long it lasts before the lever comes back close to the handlebar

Thanks for the reply, yes that what I was going to try first, I checked for leaks and cannot see any and the fluid does not look like it's going down but I only noticed it today.

An internal leak of the master cyl can do that. Also put a paper bag cut-open below the left footpeg area, and just inboard of it, below the engine middle cover. That's the area below the slave cyl. You want to look for any leakage below it.

Is the master cylinder original? Sounds almost like you having a bigger bore cylinder thus moving too much fluid per stroke.

If I recall correctly, there are different Yamaha specific parts from other models that fit like factory but have different qualities, like light switch and otherwise. Who knows if someone threw incorrect parts at your bike when putting it together.

If your clutch were leaking, then it would cause clutch drag because the hydro side is not able to release the clutch due to lack of travel and you would see a leak. If your master were leaking, it would also manifest a shorter hydraulic throw. Your problem is opposite to that.

I'm not saying I'm right but I sure would check it out if I had the right master cyl.

The cast-in bore size for both master cyl's is 5/8". Look on the bottom of the master cyl.

You might want to pull your left middle engine cover, and take a look at your slave cyl. With the bike upright, as it would be on the centerstand, you won't lose hardly any oil, if your slave cyl looks like this crusty one on the left, time for a rebuild or replacement (right one).

VMax clutch slave cyl.01.jpg

You might want to pull your left middle engine cover, and take a look at your slave cyl. With the bike upright, as it would be on the centerstand, you won't lose hardly any oil, if your slave cyl looks like this crusty one on the left, time for a rebuild or replacement (right one).

View attachment 85878
Thanks for the comparison, I have bought a kit for the Master but I wanted to replace the slave with a complete new unit but I cannot find anything other than kits.

There is nothing wrong with the kits. Just clean the bore good with scotchbrite. Lube the rubber and install. Use oem spring instead of the the one in the kit. The kit spring is softer.

When you disassemble the slave cylinder you'll be able to see if it has pitting on either the female side or the piston sufficient to cause issues with it leaking over time. I use Sean Morley, captain Kyle, or Ron Ayres Yamaha for parts

When you disassemble the slave cylinder you'll be able to see if it has pitting on either the female side or the piston sufficient to cause issues with it leaking over time. I use Sean Morley, captain Kyle, or Ron Ayres Yamaha for parts
Thanks for the info, as for dealers i'm in the UK. The kits over here are about £20

I have been looking at the parts etc, does anyone know what the difference is between the 2003 model and the 2004 as most of the parts only go up to 2003 but do note state the 2004 anniversary which mine is? not that the anniversary means anything just that it has to be after 2004.

Same parts for all Gen I's. The '85 first year slave cyl will fit a last-year 2007. The twentieth anniversary year is 2005 as the first year is 1985.VMax 2005 Anniversary in Atlanta GA.02.jpg

There should be a numbered plate above the engine, this one is missing.

Thanks for the comparison, I have bought a kit for the Master but I wanted to replace the slave with a complete new unit but I cannot find anything other than kits.
I got a new cylinder a couple of months ago from fowlers in Bristol. £132 and overnight delivery. Just rebuilt the old cylinder ready to do a straight swap onto my other max

I got a new cylinder a couple of months ago from fowlers in Bristol. £132 and overnight delivery. Just rebuilt the old cylinder ready to do a straight swap onto my other max
And don't forget to order a gasket 😉

Back