Clutch Basket Thrust Washer??? HELP HELP HELP

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnblaid

Reaction score
This would be about
Plate, Thrust 1 Part # 26H-16154-00-00
diagram under clutch on Cheap Cycle Parts Blow Up Diagram of the Clutch.
Thrust Plate is part # 2

I installed the outer clutch basket (first thing you put back when you have installed the Morley HD Oiler and what holds the primary drive gear.) I got it to fully engage the oil pump drive gear and go all the way back in so that the recess in the 30 mm retaining nut would fit properly when tightened. Then I installed the Thrust Plate by engaging it with the shaft splines and sliding it back against the outer basket.

BUT WAIT.

when you put it back in there it slides off the splines and then does not have an inner bearing surface. In other words it's inside diameter is slightly larger than the outside diameter at that point on the main shaft, it's a bit loose in there when you next slide on the clutch boss (inner clutch basket that holds the friction plates) I can then put a new locking washer on it and hand tighten the big nut to the point that everything looks right.

but it can't be right, can it? Why would they allow this thrust washer to be loose in there?

After looking carefully at the diagram I can't see that I've left anything off and when I took it apart it was stuck to the clutch boss with oil and so I did not see it in it's normal loose state in there. There are marks on only one side of it and they are not exactly concentric. If these two parts are always in contact and squeezing the washer between the outer basket and the clutch boss then it would make no difference.

BUT? this makes me nervous. I'm anal about this stuff.

Is this the correct configuration?

Yes, the thrust washer is designed to float between the inner hub & outer basket. Push it beyond the spline & let it drop slightly, then install your inner hub!

WHAT??? I believe you but who in the hell would design something like this?

I've been working on cars for years and I"ve never seen anything like this.

Onward. and Thanks.

They wanted to ensure you have the inner basket correctly seated to the pump drive. If you did not have it all the way back then the washer would not go back far enough to get off the splines. It would also make the inner and outer baskets lock up so the clutch would not be functional.

IF they had done this on the gen 2 engine there would not be as many failures by the dealer I don't think with the recall work.

As stated above.....that's the correct fitting.......I always thought the same thing though...especially my early years.........."what an odd way for the washer to sit there"......

everything went back together OK. The pointers on all the parts were helpful and the entire assembly lined up and the 30mm nut ended up just where it was when I removed it.

Now to replace the covers and the exhausts and pray.

Back