Clutch drag?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidon

Reaction score
Did a clutch fluid flush and have good pressure in the lever but when I hold clutch in ...and bike is in gear ...and try to roll... there does seem to be a little bit of drag. With clutch pulled in is it supposed to roll as easy as if in neutral. Don't know if I'm going nuts or if there is still air in the system.

Also can you do an overnight lever pull in and bleed the next day like for the brakes or is this going to wear out the spring too much?

The bike will be harder to push in gear with the clutch pulled in than in neutral. There is still drag on the drive line. Think of the times you helped a buddy push start his bike, you start out in neutral and shift up to 2nd or 3rd. This is normal.

When the bike is in neutral, the trans gears are not connected to the drive shaft, therefore no drag. When in gear they are and you are having to spin the gears when you roll the bike which causes the drag. If your clutch disengages and engages the engine consistantly you have bleed the cylinders correctly.

Last edited:
Barry thanks..I just don't remember that I had as much resistance as i have now It takes more effort to push in first (engine off) with clutch pulled in compared to before the bleed.There seems to be no air though.

Since I replaced my clutch with the PCW kit, it drags a lot when the motor's cold. On a cool morning I'll have to rev the motor off idle when I pop it into first otherwise the drag will stall it out(makes quite the bang), and the bike will want to creep forward a bit. Once it warms up it gets better though.

I found that a draggy clutch is also the bike's way of telling you it needs an oil change.

i wonder why that is, maybe more the oil, i also got a pcw set up and i dont have those issues when cold. but also dont have that many miles on the bike, how much you got on there now ryan?

with gear in and clutch lever pulled yes you will have a little more ressistance pushing your bike than you would have in N. the thing i dont know which now you posted this thread is if a chaindrive conversion has this resistance we all feel. for example the suzuki TLR-1000 i am riding now untill when my love is ready, feels like if neatural or if in gear it like the same thing. Chanidrive V-max's please post solve my many year question.

My bike is getting close to 30k on it now, the original clutch let go around 25k(started slipping in vboost range in the lower gears). It's not that big of a problem, and once the motor is warm it feels like it always did, if not better. Smooth and easy. Plus at the same time I switched to rotella 15-40 dino and had been using 10-40 syn before, so that may have contributed but on the other hand I find neutral noticeably easier to find than I used to, which would suggest less clutch dragging.

Did a clutch fluid flush and have good pressure in the lever but when I hold clutch in ...and bike is in gear ...and try to roll... there does seem to be a little bit of drag. With clutch pulled in is it supposed to roll as easy as if in neutral. Don't know if I'm going nuts or if there is still air in the system.

Also can you do an overnight lever pull in and bleed the next day like for the brakes or is this going to wear out the spring too much?

Tom, could this be a possible problem with your lock up clutch ? I was thinking about the prob. you had unloading your bike off a ramp a while ago and meant to throw this out there earlier.
Steve-o

Back