Clutch lever pressure....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

j2dawson

Reaction score
Having never ridden a Vmax until a couple weeks ago and having never used a hydraulic clutch I don't know how hard it should be to pull the clutch in. I'm used to my Harley Ultra with the heavy clutch spring and it is much easier to pull than my '93 Vmax. Is this normal for the bike or do I have a problem? It doesn't slip or anything, just hard to pull. After a day of riding my left hand is beat.

It also seems to engage pretty far out but it sounds like this is normal.

The bike (according to the PO) has 20,000 miles on it.

Thanks,
Jim

The clutch on my 94 engages way out. But it holds and has worked the same for almost 5 years. I did have a slipping clutch after performance mods, CaptainKyle fixed that for me. Same function of the lever though. I made a lever stop so I only have to pull the clutch so far. It never reaches the hand grip. My 89 has a normal travel clutch, begins to catch right off the grip...

As far as being stiff. Maybe yours has the Double D Mod or heavy return springs...:confused2::ummm: :confused2:

Dave

Thanks for the info. I don't know what the Double D Mod is or how to check for a heavier return spring but I'll do some research.

Jim

The clutch on my 94 engages way out. But it holds and has worked the same for almost 5 years. I did have a slipping clutch after performance mods, CaptainKyle fixed that for me. Same function of the lever though. I made a lever stop so I only have to pull the clutch so far. It never reaches the hand grip. My 89 has a normal travel clutch, begins to catch right off the grip...

As far as being stiff. Maybe yours has the Double D Mod or heavy return springs...:confused2::ummm: :confused2:

Dave

Ihave a '93. The clutch does have an early engagement point on mine but i've never felt it was particularly 'strong' pull. Can you check with previos owner about any mods he might have done?

Ihave a '93. The clutch does have an early engagement point on mine but i've never felt it was particularly 'strong' pull. Can you check with previos owner about any mods he might have done?
The previous owner knows nothing about the bike. I suspect he just bought it and listed it on eBay. For example, he told me that it didn't have a center stand. Well, it did but the part you stand on was broken off.

You can try changing the brake fluid in the clutch, when it is contaminated that will cause the lever to be hard to pull

I know I'm probably stating the bleedin' obvious but have you tried lubricating the pivot points and checked that the pivot bolt isn't over tight?

Thanks, yes I checked that first thing. I'm going to bleed it later today and see if that helps.

I know I'm probably stating the bleedin' obvious but have you tried lubricating the pivot points and checked that the pivot bolt isn't over tight?

If your clutch works then it probably doesn't need bled. Was the stand mounts cut off or do you have a Kerker installed (which requires removal of the stand and tabs from the frame). The DD is easy to check for but requires removal of the clutch cover.

Sean

Thanks, yes I checked that first thing. I'm going to bleed it later today and see if that helps.

Before you bleed the clutch line, make sure you have either a big syringe or a MightyVac - you will need to reverse-bleed it as it can't be bled like a normal brake line or similar.

To reverse-bleed with a syringe is easy, you simply force feed the fluid through the nipple until it runs clear in the reservoir, but be very careful of overflow as it will eat all paint!

If your clutch works then it probably doesn't need bled. Was the stand mounts cut off or do you have a Kerker installed (which requires removal of the stand and tabs from the frame). The DD is easy to check for but requires removal of the clutch cover.

Sean
The stand mounts were still there (along with the broken stand) and I already fixed it with an ebay, like new stand.

The clutch works fine just harder to pull than I expected. If my forearms grow I'll suspect a DD mod. :)

Jim

Back