Clutch slipping

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brought bike to dealership and they decided to put a new clutch on the bike since it was a pre-existing condition . Happy about that .
Question , should I still do the DD mod on the new clutch ?

Brought bike to dealership and they decided to put a new clutch on the bike since it was a pre-existing condition . Happy about that .
Question , should I still do the DD mod on the new clutch ?

Its up to you.

My clutch slipped at 40K miles, and doesnt now.....even after doing the Nash Flash (which increases HP and TQ, and removes factory limitations.) I did not replace my clutch. I only did the DD mod. Ive even dynod since then.....with no slippage. I did tell you that you would have to talk the dealership thru it....or even into it (because it is a modification that they are not familiar with). The clutch in its stock form, isnt able to even withstand the output of even the stock engine.

My idea is to let the dealer do the new clutch install and then myself do the DD mod on the new clutch . I doubt the dealer would want to install something aftermarket.
Am I correct with this idea ?

Yep. Unfortunately. if you know the dealership, and they know that they wont have an issue with you, they would do it. But.....how things are now, a dealership is afraid of being sued, or being liable for something.

Me personally, I love the DD mod, and I think it is a necessity on the Gen 2 (and even gen 1's. I also have it on my 07, and gonna do it to the 86 as well.)

Totally agree based on everybody’s comments , I will do it Asap on the new clutch..

If your clutch is slipping and you have relatively low miles on your bike, you really need to figure out why it is slipping beforer you start throwing parts at it. Take the time and read the service manual. Well, if its out of warranty, you need to figure it out. If you are still in warranty, let the dealer handle it.

Yes, after a good pipe install and the flash, mine did slip a little at WOT hammering it. It would slide into the next gear. It wasn't a really bad slip but enough to notice it. Are you stock and it's slipping?

The Vmax clutch is prettly large and can take a pounding. It's the clamping force that may need a little adjustment hence a stiffer spring or double them up. Of course when you stiffin the diaphram spring, it increases lever effort. But that's besides the point.

Why is it slipping? You have aftermart levers? Air in lines? Slave not returning? Did you mic the steels and frictions to see if they are all in tolerance and not warped, blued or broken? Did you pull the entire stack out and measure overall stack height to ensure it is within spec? Too tall of a stack DECREASES spring static pressure. (Damn diaphram Spring) Too short and the pressure plate will sit up against the boss before providing max clamping force. You have to be in spec becasue this is a "slipper" clutch.

I screwed up, burnt up, destroyed enough clutches to know what to look for. You need to figure out why its slipping first. My 09 slipped from day one. The dealer was throwing parts at it until I said STOP. I asked them to check the boss/hub and see if its the correct height. So, they listened to me and just replaced it. No more slipping on a brand new 09.

For 30 years we all have been stacking diaphram springs with great success. Thats because we are lucky. Do we really understand the principles behind it or do we just throw the parts at it because otheres are doing it? Or, the aftermarket doesn't have a (6) spring setup. Why did the manufacturer use a diaphram setup? These are questions that I think of before I start modifying a $18,000.00 motorcycle. When you stack springs, you are changing the effective height of the pressure plate. Whatever the thickness is of the second spring, you are collapsing the spring height that much more. Then ad the new retainer into the mix. Measure it. Its thicker than the OEM retainer.

If I start adding NON OEM parts to my 3RD Gen II, i try to understand them and there intended purpose.... But that's just me....:rolleyes:

I Understand your point completely, for now dealer (Yamaha) is taking care of it .. once I get it back I will post results .

nice write up

Update , received bike from the dealer with new clutch kit installed , no slipping at all , then today we installed DD mod kit from Tim Nash and wow , what a change ... love it , it grabs now ... totally worth it , i bought it with the Rick’s ring ... love it . Must have mod

Here it is complete clutch replacement plus
DD mode , just for the récord

In the middle of this vid there are 2 red arrows pointing to the "Ricks Retainer and Double DD" as he wrote it. - When I ordered this back in 2015, straight from Rick, I only received the part that the Top Red arrow is pointing at (pic attached).

*What is that part that the Lower Red Arrow is pointing at?

Attachments

• 20200122_103159_resized.jpg
    20200122_103159_resized.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 33
Update , received bike from the dealer with new clutch kit installed , no slipping at all , then today we installed DD mod kit from Tim Nash and wow , what a change ... love it , it grabs now ... totally worth it , i bought it with the Rick’s ring ... love it . Must have mod

You have unleashed the beast!! :)

In the middle of this vid there are 2 red arrows pointing to the "Ricks Retainer and Double DD" as he wrote it. - When I ordered this back in 2015, straight from Rick, I only received the part that the Top Red arrow is pointing at (pic attached).

*What is that part that the Lower Red Arrow is pointing at?

It is the upgraded version of the spring retainer. Twice as thick to better support the stacked springs.
2020-05-18 21.53.42_copy_1490x2648.jpg
Gurued sells just the upgrade ring. Here is a link if you wanted to change it.
https://guruedgear.com/clutch-spring-retainer-upgrade.html
Screenshot_2020-05-29-13-03-59.png
Hope this helps.

It is the upgraded version of the spring retainer. Twice as thick to better support the stacked springs.
View attachment 71771
Gurued sells just the upgrade ring. Here is a link if you wanted to change it.
https://guruedgear.com/clutch-spring-retainer-upgrade.html
View attachment 71772
Hope this helps.

I ordered that Retainer Ring yesterday from Gurued, after I talked to Tim on the phone about it.
From what you are saying.. there is already a Ring in the clutch, this Rick Rash Retainer ring Replaces the stock smaller Ring and does a better job, of what it is supposed to do?
My bike is still totally stock, I am going to install this kit sometime this summer because I plan to eventually get the ECU flash "Stock Version Two" per Tim @ Gurued.

I ordered that Retainer Ring yesterday from Gurued, after I talked to Tim on the phone about it.
From what you are saying.. there is already a Ring in the clutch, this Rick Rash Retainer ring Replaces the stock smaller Ring and does a better job, of what it is supposed to do?
My bike is still totally stock, I am going to install this kit sometime this summer because I plan to eventually get the ECU flash "Stock Version Two" per Tim @ Gurued.
Yes, retainer ring is already there, you are replacing that one with the upgraded version.
My bike is a 2018, also completely stock. I am leaning on getting the reflash as you mentioned later this summer. Did the clutch mod last week, very pleased with that.
Good luck with yours.

Yes, retainer ring is already there, you are replacing that one with the upgraded version.
My bike is a 2018, also completely stock. I am leaning on getting the reflash as you mentioned later this summer. Did the clutch mod last week, very pleased with that.
Good luck with yours.

What is the difference in your Stock Gen 2 now, after installing the upgraded DD clutch mod?

What is the difference in your Stock Gen 2 now, after installing the upgraded DD clutch mod?
After installing, The lever is a little stiffer when first starting to pull it. It seems like about 1/2 way it gets easier. I hardly notice it now. It does feel like it engages a little quicker, but that maybe just me.
I only have 1700 miles on mine. Did this mod mainly to improve longevity of the clutch. It was recommended from several on this site. I have heard no negative reasons for installing it.

After installing, The lever is a little stiffer when first starting to pull it. It seems like about 1/2 way it gets easier. I hardly notice it now. It does feel like it engages a little quicker, but that maybe just me.
I only have 1700 miles on mine. Did this mod mainly to improve longevity of the clutch. It was recommended from several on this site. I have heard no negative reasons for installing it.

i got dealer installed new clutch on my 2012 and right after I did the DD MOd from Tim and i felt the difference specially on high rpms , I feel it grabs more ,

Got my DD from Tim and installed last weekend. Really feels good and grabs hard, feels like I have a real clutch. Lever a little stiffer but nothing to it.

Back