cobra exhaust

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: cobra exaust

In my opinion the cobra's sound the best for the least money. Ive seen sets go on ebay for 250$ or so in great shape. Ive heard that marks exhaust and ufo sound deeper but ive never heard them in person........

Clintard, great video

A quick unrelated question....where did you get the backrest from. yours is much shorter than most others i have seen.

also can you put a center stand with the cobra pipes ??

And if yes....how much does one go for usually.

also can you put a center stand with the cobra pipes ??

And if yes....how much does one go for usually.

Hmm... They come with a center stand from the factory... Check out ebay for one. Make sure your center stand tabs haven't been cut off for a Kerker system. I leave mine off unless I am working on it and then just put it on there temp...:thumbs up:

Last edited:

Cobra Slip-on owners. I've read a lot on this site and others and one thing I've have seen (or at least noticed) is someone mentioning the Cobra Jet Kit, Part #92-2168. Has anyone ever used this kit? You'd think that it would be tailored for their system but maybe that's just crazy talk? So did anyone use it, if not what did you end up using. I'm getting close to just buying some supertrapps and calling it a day...

Yo! 4gasem,

Are you for sure about the Cobras/ center stand combo?

I had cobras and could only use the centerstand for working on the bike, no fold up and go.

Check this PDF directly from Cobra: http://www.cobrausa.com/pdf/2168SC.pdf

"2. Remove center stand (this will not be reinstalled)."

Years ago when I had a set of Cobra's I did leave the centerstand on. I was held in a much lower position and damn near bit me in the ass. I was cornering (not even that hard but had the old lady on with me) and the centerstand caught and "pole vaulted" the bike and us over about 4 feet. The people riding behind me damn near shit their pants and they weren't even on the roller coaster ride! Needless to say I took it off later that evening.

Sean Morley

Take this with a grain of salt bobb, 'cause I'm not 100% sure on this.

The Cat from whom I bought the bike already had the Cobras on it. He claims that he didn't re-jet it and I sort of have to believe him. I'd been working with Mark to get Max leaned out and since it was so rich, I'd be willing to bet that I still DO have the stock jets installed. You probably know that everyone says the Cobras make Max run rich so I'm guessing that the Cobra jet kit would serve to lean it back out. I could be way off though. (No comments 4gasem.)

:biglaugh:

I've got the opposite thing going 44, mine is running very lean with the Cobra's. The guy I bought it from wasn't the one who put them on so he didn't know much about it, although the guy told him it was jetted.

Hey I always have a comment...:whistlin: Right or wrong... I am 99% certain that I saw a center stand on a bike with Cobra's but I am human and may be mistaken...:confused2: It's just extra weight so take it off and run faster...:thumbs up: :biglaugh:

Hi folks, new member here. I bought my 2nd max after about a 18 year absence. I went a bought the same year I originally had (85) I just got a set of cobras and I've been trying like the devil to pry off the 22+ year old silencers. But they won't budge.
Any suggestions? Normally I would cut them right off but I don't want to ruin them in case I want to go back to stock.
I've already soaked the heck out of them with penetrating oil. I saw another guy around the DFW area and he has his center stand still on.

Last edited:
Hi folks, new member here. I bought my 2nd max after about a 18 year absence. I went a bought the same year I originally had (85) I just got a set of cobras and I've been trying like the devil to pry off the 22+ year old silencers. But they won't budge.
Any suggestions? Normally I would cut them right off but I don't want to ruin them in case I want to go back to stock.
I've already soaked the heck out of them with penetrating oil. I saw another guy around the DFW area and he has his center stand still on.

You'll probably need to twist them off. Get either a chain vice grip or a strap wrench and use that to try and turn the pipe back and forth to loosen it up.

Attachments

• strap wrench.jpg
    strap wrench.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 2
It's going to sound funny but if it's rust I've always found a generous application of lemon juice will eat through enough over about an hour to loosen up most things.

Bare with me I am new at this. My boyfriend just bought 1990 vmax 1200 and a couple of days ago a lady backed into it an knocked it over. His exhaust pipes got scratched up and I have been trying to look for replacements online without any luck. The pipes have gold tips, the guy he bought it from said they were factory pipes. Can anyone tell me if this would be true and where I might look to replace them.

Those aren't factory mufflers then. Stock mufflers don't really have tips...just a chrome or black end-cap depending on year of bike. Can you take a picture and post to this forum?

Mark

Bare with me I am new at this. My boyfriend just bought 1990 vmax 1200 and a couple of days ago a lady backed into it an knocked it over. His exhaust pipes got scratched up and I have been trying to look for replacements online without any luck. The pipes have gold tips, the guy he bought it from said they were factory pipes. Can anyone tell me if this would be true and where I might look to replace them.

Hey VMG,

Take a pic and post it on this thread and we will lead you down the right path...:thumbs up:

The pipes are not rusted. When he got the bike I thought they had been dipped in gold to make it match the scoops. That is when I seller said they were factory. Sorry if I sound stupid.

I will have to get back with you guys maybe tomorrow. With the picture. Thanks so much for your help.

Where in IL are you? I am in on the border of IA and IL.

Like Maleko said... No question is a dumb one...

I always like to explain that being ignorant about something doesn't make them stupid... Ignorant means you don't anything about said subject whereas stupid means that even if we told you you wouldn't be able comprehend it... LOL

Cheers

Back